Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway stragglers. What do you do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had a genius last night while driving north between Dundrum and Tallaght at 11pm...about 5 cars on the road, I overtake one MLM and move back into lane 2, see this gimp in lane 1 about 200m ahead going slower than I am so I stay in lane 2. About 20m before I pass him he pulls into lane 2 infront of me with no other cars in sight ahead....:confused:#

I can only assume he thought his lane was ending abruptly (they way the merge lanes do) but were were at least 2k from any ramps...

I flashed him and he sat there, so I overtook and them moved into lane 1 and he continued to sail along in lane 2 until I exited at Tallaght...

There is just nothing you can do with these people.

Driving on the m4 last night, 2 lanes, not many people around.
    Guy in front of me way up ahead also on the driving lane. Traffic comes up on the overtaking lane beside me, grand. Guy in the driving lane going slow enough suddenly pulls into the overtaking lane despite no hazards or other traffic. Everyone on the overtaking lane had to slow down.
    Still can't figure it out :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

deandean wrote: »
    OP I was "educated" by a nice Garda from the Traffic Corps who pulled me in after I undertook a pr%*k driving 90km/h in the overtaking lane of the M50(N). I was told the following:

1. Yes it is a pity to have to pull you over. The other driver is indeed a pr%*k but you weere wrong to undertake.

2. The correct procedure is: Come up behind him. Keep a safe distance. Flash your lights at him. Flash a few times. Use your horn a few times.

3. If the other driver still won't move, pull into the left lane and report the other driver using the Traffic Watch number.

So the Garda deemed your action to be an offence but not those of the 90kph lane-blocker?

Sounds like Mr Garda needs to go back to Templemore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

One of the single greatest causes of accidents and road rage is driver frustration. Some people get more frustrated than others. In an ideal world, we would all tootle along with smiles on our faces, nodding and waving to everyone.

But reality is that for some people, the road is their place of work, and they have a day's work to do. Imagine asking Gordon Ramsay to share his kitchen with you so you can make some toast. You would be a long time waiting for your meal in a four star restaurant if the kitchen were full of people making sandwiches!

We cannot eliminate frustration, but we could do a lot to reduce it. Traffic lights are one cause we have no control over, although there certainly could be a lot more efficiency in the system. How many multiple sets of lights do we know that always work in conflict with each other? Frustration sets in, and people start breaking the speed limit in order to make up for perceived time lost.

Similarly on the motorway. Middle lane morons cause delay and frustration, and somewhere down the road some guy is going to have an accident because he is frustrated at the delay, and drives carelessly. Now if he has an accident, it is his own fault, but still, we could cut down on all the unnecessary frustration by educating people to drive properly and consider others. The less frustration on the road, the safer everyone should be overall.

The Gardai really need to make some kind of statement about their stance on middle lane hoggers. It is not enough to simply state blandly that we should all slow down. We know that. But with the frustration of being stuck for miles upon miles behind oblivious car drivers, that only increases the likelihood of speeding, to make up for perceived loss.

If the motorways were used properly, they would be so much safer, and there would be far less of the frustration that causes lack of concentration, speeding and accidents. It is imperative that the authorities acknowledge this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gophur wrote: »
    So the Garda deemed your action to be an offence but not those of the 90kph lane-blocker?

Sounds like Mr Garda needs to go back to Templemore !

I would assume that in weighing up which one of them to pull over, he had to choose between undertaking which is considered to be a dangerous manouever, and overtaking lane hogging, which is more of an annoyance. He cant pull both cars over at once, so he picked the one which he would have deemed to be more dangerous.

Of course, Im just guessing this as Im not a guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

corktina wrote: »
    on the N25 the other day I had the opposite. Came up behind a car in the LEFT lane doing 80 k so went to overtake (limited to 90) and once I was almost past, he accelaerated and hung me out to dry in the outside lane for miles. That sort of thing happens a lot, whats the matter with people?
    Stupid ego's that the matter with them.

When This happens near a known spot for Gardai to sit, I accelerate they accelerate too, and then just before the Gardai spot, I slow down pull in behind them and let them get expose to Speed Traps. This only works if Gardai are out. Also It helps to them to keep on moving while I can settle at the speed limits behind them.

But when this happens on Normal carriageways and the driver see me overtaking them, then I drop a gear and out accelerate breaking the speed limit to overtake, if time and safety is on my side then pull in and slow down to the speed limit. If they tailgate (Some do) I slow right down to 30kph for a km (if there is traffic coming the other way) or so and stick the finger to them, then move off at my own speed . I only do this if there is only mise in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thought of this on the way to work this morning:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had someone doing 80km/h do the now too familiar "pull in left to let you past, pull back out 'because I'm going fast, i should be in the fast lane'" manoeuvre today.

Someone doing 110+ you can at least see the "fast" bit of their argument (even if the rest of it is wrong), but pootling that much below the limit? Jesus.... was nowhere near an onramp either, nor was there any traffic ahead in lane 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I believe that if your in the overtaking lane going at 120kmph (ish) and you see a vehicle going 80-100 kmph in the same lane with noone in the slower lane, flashing from a distance to give them time so it doesn't seem like you've magically appeared..?

MYOB wrote: »
    Had someone doing 80km/h do the now too familiar "pull in left to let you past, pull back out 'because I'm going fast, i should be in the fast lane'" manoeuvre today.

Someone doing 110+ you can at least see the "fast" bit of their argument (even if the rest of it is wrong), but pootling that much below the limit? Jesus.... was nowhere near an onramp either, nor was there any traffic ahead in lane 1.
    There is no such things as Fast lanes. Only Overtaking lanes. Law says you need to drive on the Left not Right unless you are overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

limklad wrote: »
    There is no such things as Fast lanes. Only Overtaking lanes. Law says you need to drive on the Left not Right unless you are overtaking.

I don't think he was calling it fast lane, merely commenting on the attitude of those who believe that their 'fast' driving belons in an overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you're a cop, you turn on the blue lights. If not, all the things you did were unlawful and she could have turned you in to the Gardai for trying to bully her,

An advanced driver would have backed off and waited until the way was clear and then overtaken when it was safe to so.

You are not an advanced driver.

Only with these people the way is NEVER clear, if one does take an off-ramp, there's another one 100m up the road....flashing lights and leaving on indicators is all very well too....for the % of these clowns that atcually look in their mirrors.
    Doesn't matter how advanced a driver you are, nor what paperwork you have to prove it...you and your journey time are at the mercy of these people.

I just bide my time and then undertake with a blast of the horn and hazards on...always funny to see people flashing lights or giving you the fingers in the rear view, whilst never seeming to get the point that they're the ones in the wrong to begin with...

Someone made a good point about the painted arrows and changing the RH one to a curved one...might be of some help...perhpas on the M1 at least they could use those electronic signs to flash messages like "Keep left unless overtaking"...be nice to see some use being made of these otherwise useless road furniture...or would that present too much of a distraction for the average Irish motorist?

I have another feeling about all of this. Bear in mind this is Ireland, and there always has to be an 'Irish' way of looking at things.

I feel that there might well be an 'offical' if unstated view that as long as middle lane hoggers are slowing everyone else down, that that is somehow a 'good' thing. Anything that slows everyone down, be it inappropriately located speed bumps, too many traffic lights, or ill educated and careless drivers themselves, by default must make the roads 'safer.'

The fact that the frustration these things cause probably only contributes to more people speeding to make up perceived loss of time, and encourages carelessness and indeed road rage, is not up for consideration.

The mistake made is to equate 'delay' with 'slower.' By delaying and frustrating drivers as much as possible, that is deemed to slow them down, while in practice, as I said, it actually only encourages rushing and racing. Thus increasing speeding, not reducing it.

I would not be surprised at all to find that the RSA, the Gardai, the city councils, and the Department of Transport, are all complicit in an erroneous view that middle lane hoggers are slowing the general progress down, and therefore must be making the roads 'safer.'

It is backward thinking, but it is plainly evident in everything else that is ridiculous in this country.

CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T STAND BEEN UNDERTOOK......IT'S SO DANGEROUS..I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DO IT!!!:eek:
    Simple Solution to your Problem. DO NOT DRIVE ON THE OVERTAKING LANE/S, OVERTAKING LANES ARE FOR OVERTAKING. YOU ARE THE DANGEROUS ONE. OBEY THE LAW

I don't think he was calling it fast lane, merely commenting on the attitude of those who believe that their 'fast' driving belons in an overtaking lane.
    Yes he Did. I re quoted his quote and in Bold name he called the Overtaking Lane.
    MYOB wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

limklad wrote: »
    Yes he Did. .

No he didn't. You might want to scrub up on the 'aul punctuation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

It seems to be getting worse lately.

I'd another problem a week or two ago when I was actually passing out a truck and I was doing about 130-140 kph and this tool in a 99 or 00 clare reg astra flies up my arse at a crazy speed flashing his lights which tbh infuriated me.

I slowed down to the same speed as the truck and the tool lost it completely and after a mile he started flashing his garda badge and mobile phone at me! I just laughed at him and stayed put for another half mile and then passed the truck and pulled into the inside lane. He came up along side me and blew the horn and f'd me out of it while giving me the finger. I just smiled back at him!

People who think they own the road are just as bad as idiots who can't get into the right lane.

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    As long as the Gardai continue to sit in the hedge with a speed gun nothing is going to change.

I can't understand why they aren't out there dishing out fines and points for hogging the overtaking lane.

But that wouldn't be nice would it :rolleyes: :mad:

I'd imagine the hoards of callers on Joe duffy giving out about it if they were to start enforcing it.
    I just Found out they have been enforcing it but not to a great degree.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=138&Mode=Edit&Command=None&Lang=1#FCN

* Other (e.g. Driver entering a bus lane, Overtaking on the left)
    There is no Break down between both.

Rulmeq wrote: »
    There's also points for failing to drive on the left, but I've never heard of anyone getting them.
    Edit: It's only one point: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/driving_offences.php
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20offences%20brokendown%20by%20%20type%20%20county%20-%20%20july%202010.pdf

573 people have points for failing to drive on the left. (112 drivers had no licence number, probably foreign or joy riders).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd another problem a week or two ago when I was actually passing out a truck and I was doing about 130-140 kph and this tool in a 99 or 00 clare reg astra flies up my arse at a crazy speed flashing his lights which tbh infuriated me.

I slowed down to the same speed as the truck and the tool lost it completely and after a mile he started flashing his garda badge and mobile phone at me! I just laughed at him and stayed put for another half mile and then passed the truck and pulled into the inside lane. He came up along side me and blew the horn and f'd me out of it while giving me the finger. I just smiled back at him!

People who think they own the road are just as bad as idiots who can't get into the right lane.
    You both sound like pretty poor drivers. At least he has the possible excuse that he was doing something work-related. If he wasn't in a genuine hurry i'd assume he'd have done you for obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You are lucky he didnt pull you over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

MarkR wrote: »
    You sure about that?

You can also get a penalty point and a fine.

you could use this point
    in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

and say that the right hand lane traffic is moving slower than the overtaking vehicle

I think the "in slow moving traffic" part might scupper that arguement somewhat...

obviously he may not have been, but he could have been on duty and on his way to an incident.

what was the point in slowing down, "to teach him a lesson"?

you sound like a child

djimi wrote: »
    I think the "in slow moving traffic" part might scupper that arguement somewhat...

true, but wondered if you could say the traffic was slow moving, in the right hand lane

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    .......... but he could have been on duty and on his way to an incident.

And he , also, could have been a belligerent a55hole.

Now, I know which of the two I'd wager a guess at! :D

true, but wondered if you could say the traffic was slow moving, in the right hand lane

It would be an interesting one to try, as it is really poorly defined, but the general interpretation of that, and the one that Im sure you would be told by the guard if you tried it, is that slow moving traffic is stop start style rush hour traffic, not just traffic moving more slowly than you are!

And he , also, could have been a belligerent a55hole.

Now, I know which of the two I'd wager a guess at! :D

amazing insight there chief
    It would be an interesting one to try, as it is really poorly defined, but the general interpretation of that, and the one that Im sure you would be told by the guard if you tried it, is that slow moving traffic is stop start style rush hour traffic, not just traffic moving more slowly than you are!

oh it'd be chancing your arm, definately, i doubt you'd get away with it. but could be worth a go if you were stuck

you could use this point

and say that the right hand lane traffic is moving slower than the overtaking vehicle
    :rolleyes:

Thats slow moving traffic! Slow moving traffic is normally defined in court as "stop start" traffic, or traffic not in excess of 30 kph (defined as in legal precedent, the actual section of the RTA is slightly ambiguous).

There have been many threads here recently on this issue.

amazing insight there chief

insight?

It was quite clearly a guess.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    You both sound like pretty poor drivers. At least he has the possible excuse that he was doing something work-related. If he wasn't in a genuine hurry i'd assume he'd have done you for obstruction.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    You are lucky he didnt pull you over!
    obviously he may not have been, but he could have been on duty and on his way to an incident.

what was the point in slowing down, "to teach him a lesson"?

you sound like a child

I knew I'd get a response like this! It was a moment of red mist on my part (not something I'd done in a long long time) because of his attitude. He was definately off duty and more like on hols as he had his car packed with luggage and a missus in the car with him. I don't know what it achieved in the end though as he was still flying up behind cars, braking hard and bullying his way past others. Like I said it was just a moment of red mist as a result of his attitude.....something I'm definately not the only one guilty of......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I knew I'd get a response like this! It was a moment of red mist on my part (not something I'd done in a long long time) because of his attitude. He was definately off duty and more like on hols as he had his car packed with luggage and a missus in the car with him. I don't know what it achieved in the end though as he was still flying up behind cars, braking hard and bullying his way past others. Like I said it was just a moment of red mist as a result of his attitude.....something I'm definately not the only one guilty of......
    As long as you're aware of that, and are taking steps to work on it. Like you say, the red mist is quite common - but it can be extremely dangerous when driving.

Anan1 wrote: »
    As long as you're aware of that, and are taking steps to work on it. Like you say, the red mist is quite common - but it can be extremely dangerous when driving.
    Indeed it can.

Especially if you realise (afterwards) that your "opponent" is a member of AGS and you get punished with a fine and points for dangerous driving! Word of mouth from an AGS member is enough to get a conviction in most cases. As such, I always avoid confrontation with any D reg'd light blue mondeos with 2 aerials!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

indicator on for about 20-30 seconds, then I get bored, drop a gear or 2, and try and keep the front wheel down >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it..

Sounds like one of those cops who thinks a badge makes him Dirty Harry and the right to do whatever he wants on, or off duty! :mad:

I had a similar incident a few years ago. I was driving along on the N4 (80 km/h zone) in the overtaking lane, OVERTAKING slower cars on the inside, when this silver Mondeo estate came flying up behind me and proceeded to sit close enough that I couldn't see bonnet in the mirror.

Anyway, I continue on, still overtaking cars, while yer man continues to get more aggressive and impatient behind me until I just take my foot off the pedal (while watching him at the same time) and let the car slow down to around 50 to make my point. Naturally this prompts a furious flashing of headlights on his part, but I just sped up and ignored him.

Anyway, at the next set of lights he hops out and walks up to my window, flashes a badge and starts ranting about me "hogging the fast lane".
    I just replied to him that it's an OVERTAKING lane, and I was perfectly entitled to be there as I was OVERTAKING slower cars - but what the hell was he doing tailgating me??

At this point he slinked off back to his car muttering about the Rules of the Road so I suggested he look up the sections on tailgating and overtaking and closed the window.

End of problem! :)

Back on topic... (almost forgot :p)

What I do with stragglers is come up in the left lane, then move over behind them and give them 30 seconds or so to move over (I always have my dipped lights on so they can't really use the excuse of they didn't see me).

If this fails:

- Flash once and indicate right to get the idea across
    - Flash again, still indicating
    - Lean on the horn

This usually gets them to move, although about 50% of the time they'll just move right back out after I've passed them :rolleyes:

Incidentially I don't do any more than 125 km/h (seeing as motorways are magnets for "speed enforcement") but the amount of people that dawdle along between 80-110 km/h in the outside lane is astounding!

:rolleyes:

Thats slow moving traffic! Slow moving traffic is normally defined in court as "stop start" traffic, or traffic not in excess of 30 kph (defined as in legal precedent, the actual section of the RTA is slightly ambiguous).

There have been many threads here recently on this issue.

no need for the rolly eyes, i quite clearly stated you'd be chancing your arm

no need for the rolly eyes, i quite clearly stated you'd be chancing your arm
    The rolleyes were more because of the amount of recent threads on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Wossack wrote: »
    indicator on for about 20-30 seconds, then I get bored, drop a gear or 2, and try and keep the front wheel down >.>

+1000 keep er lit

While you may or may not be justifiably aggrieved with the guy in the car behind you, you showed typical complete lack of respect for the driver of the heavy vehicle to your left.

It is completely insensitive of you to match speed with a heavy vehicle on your inside, who now has to spend a disproportionate amount of time watching his right hand mirror, who may be battling cross winds, and who will be boxed in if he comes up against a slower vehicle in his own lane.

Worse than drivers who dawdle in the middle lane, are drivers who match speeds with a vehicle on their inside, or sit on their offside tail, boxing them in, and preventing them from making instant manoeuvres should they need to.

And you come on here preaching about others?

paddyland wrote: »
    ......And you come on here preaching about others?

Ahhhh.......no.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I had a similar incident a few years ago. I was driving along on the N4 (80 km/h zone) in the overtaking lane, OVERTAKING slower cars on the inside, when this silver Mondeo estate came flying up behind me and proceeded to sit close enough that I couldn't see bonnet in the mirror.

Anyway, I continue on, still overtaking cars, while yer man continues to get more aggressive and impatient behind me until I just take my foot off the pedal (while watching him at the same time) and let the car slow down to around 50 to make my point. Naturally this prompts a furious flashing of headlights on his part, but I just sped up and ignored him.
    Just because you are overtaking it doesnt give you the right to hold up other cars. If there is someone moving faster than you you should pull in and then back out once they have passed.
    In Italy, Germany and most of Europe you would get cars up your ass if not nudging you for driving they way you describe.

I was stuck behind an idiot on monday night who was "overtaking" for 5 minutes on the N11 at 95kph while we all queued up behind him. I indicated...nothing...flashed nothing...flashed again and he then put on his rear fogs...
    There were lots of places where he could have pulled in to let us pass along the way..but no danger from this genius.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just because you are overtaking it doesnt give you the right to hold up other cars. If there is someone moving faster than you you should pull in and then back out once they have passed.
    In Italy, Germany and most of Europe you would get cars up your ass if not nudging you for driving they way you describe.

To be fair, if Im overtaking and doing the speed limit anything short of an ambulance coming up behind me can wait until Im done overtaking. Its not that hard to have patience for what, 40 seconds, until I pass the car or cars Im looking to pass. No way would I wedge myself in between the cars Im overtaking just so some prat who cant wait a few seconds can fly by me.

To be fair, if Im overtaking and doing the speed limit anything short of an ambulance coming up behind me can wait until Im done overtaking. Its not that hard to have patience for what, 40 seconds, until I pass the car or cars Im looking to pass. No way would I wedge myself in between the cars Im overtaking just so some prat who cant wait a few seconds can fly by me.
    Exactly - cant see how anyone can not agree with this tbh.

The overtaking lane is for overtaking legitamitly, not a dedicated lane for some pr!ck in a BMW!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

not a dedicated lane for some pr!ck in a BMW!

whoa there, leave me outta this.........

I'm not saying you need to wedge yourself into moving traffic...but too often Im stuck behind someone who is going for "just one more car" even if that car is 1-200m ahead.

Its equally not hard for "you" to pull in for 10s to let them pass (assuming its safe for you to pull in). The speed limit doesnt come into it...its not up to you to control someone elses speed...unless you wear a blue uniform and a badge to work.

If you are exceeding the speed limit you have no right to expect anyone to make way for you, unless you are legitimately driving an emergency vehicles.
    (Or you are driving a State car where normal rules do not apply, them only being for little people!)

Conversely, if you are overtaking, at the speed limit, you do not have to make way for anyone coming up behind you.

If you are exceeding the speed limit you have no right to expect anyone to make way for you, unless you are legitimately driving an emergency vehicles.
    (Or you are driving a State car where normal rules do not apply, them only being for little people!)

Conversely, if you are overtaking, at the speed limit, you do not have to make way for anyone coming up behind you.

Again, where does the speed limit of another car come into it? You should not be in the overtaking lane if there is space to move in and you are holding up other cars...
    The speed of either car is irrelevant.

If you drive, like you describe above, in Europe you will be blown off the road. But hey, you can continue to sit in the "righteous speed" lane and drive like the rest of the sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

So when the ten cars that you're are enforcing the speed limit for build up behind you, how does the emergency vehicle get past them?

You might think you are waving the letter of the law in your hand, but you are wrong to think that policing the letter of the law by holding everyone else back is anything good.

Even on a three lane motorway, where there is a lot of traffic strung across the three lanes, it is vital that that traffic breaks up and spreads out along the road, letting the road 'breathe' and allowing manoeuvring room for everyone. That is vital.

If lanes one and two are clogged, and you doggedly hold 'the speed limit' in the third lane with a queue of traffic behind you, not necessarily nose to tail, but all in a solid line, while a mile of empty road lies ahead of you, then you are contributing primarily to a very dangerous situation. Somewhere further back behind you, people are boxed in their lanes, desperately waiting for a chance to move in or out, and people are entering the motorway into dense traffic, forcing others to brake unnecessarily, or even jam on in some cases.

It is not good enough to ignorantly state that everyone should obey the speed limit, and stick behind you. There may not be the space, and the road must breathe, giving space for other people to manoeuvre should they need to do so.

By moving in, and letting others pass, the traffic breaks up, space and visibility materialises, and the road becomes much safer for everyone. Of course the idiot doing 160k in heavy traffic should not do so, but that is not your concern. Deliberately bunching up a road with dozens of tightly packed cars where there is ample room for them to spread out IS your concern, if you are the cause of the traffic bunch.

Don't be the cause of traffic bunching. Either move, or let others move, and take a broader view of things.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    ......... You should not be in the overtaking lane if there is space to move in and you are holding up other cars...

Who said anything about being in an overtaking lane if there is space on the inside lane? I didn't.

But then you couldn't find something to say without some added conjecture, eh?

Advertisement