Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Travel cot for camper van

• 14-08-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I have a DS aged 1 and was wondering what other people do re sleeping arrangements for their lo's. I have a travel cot but its too big to fit between seats and bed rails are out cos he would climb over them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I used very strong netcurtain material, and made it so that when I made up the bunks, the net would rope in the bottom bunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Initially we used a moses basket in the over head bunk. Then we progressed to industrial netting when our youngest got to the climbing stage, He's now eight..
    The netting came from the local hardware used as protection on scaffolding. It was an unsightly green colour but it served it's purpose well as a safety net on the overhead bunk.
    He has lived to tell the tale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

We used to put the travel cot up on the double bed, without the mattress, in the dinette. This is the first year in the bottom bunk, and he did fall out on hols. There are wooden panels in our van that are supposed to go across the windows in the bunks to stop you hitting them with your knees, so we use one of those standing upright and stuff it down the side of the bunk. For another son, we put a rail up off the bed at home (I think they are called safety first), because the bed is very narrow. Our top bunks have a net with a bar that fixes to the wall. HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

We have bunks in the back of our van.
    I made a side for the bottom bunk out of the side of an old cot(got it on freecycle)
    Made a few clasps to hold it in place and i have to say its a great job.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Kizzy43, for our first trip our DS was 1 and a half so I used a cot mattress that fitted perfectly on the floor between the 2 dinette seats. It did mean we had to take off the table every night, but at least I had no worries about him falling and he liked his little nest down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Can i ask what DS stands for??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

darling/dearest son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We use a travel cot in the middle of the floor of caravan. Its a bit of a quish to get past it but just about manageable. He's 18 months so after another while it'll be into the bottom bunk and 4yo up on top bunk (which has side panels).

That new system worked briefly but boss' orders meant it was back to travel cot for the moment. I'd fenced off the bottom bunk with the side of an old cot and while I could fix it sufficiently steady with those elastic bands for tent/awning pegs it wasnt the easiest of systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kizzy43

Hi Thanks for all the replies. Now I just have to get an old cot to take apart. My DH :eek:will be delighted when he hears he has to do a bit of DIY :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Can i ask what DS stands for??

Daemon spawn, in my case :D

At 16 months he has made it his lifetime ambition to test (sometimes to breaking point) every joint, socket, fitting, cushion, window, curtain, door and door handle inside our van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Kizzy43

He is bad enough at 12mths. Maybe I should just turn the cot upside down and cage him in until he turns 18.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Why didn't I think of that ? :D

Advertisement