Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 quitters - where are they now?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

This is only a straw poll obviously. But I'm curious. How are 2010 quitters faring? I know I'm still a non-smoking smoker as are dollie and some others. Some have fallen along the way while others have not.

This is a non-judgmental poll and thread. I'm just curious if people have quit and then fallen back into the habit are there any specific reasons why? Work, family, etc can cause stress or reduce it. And there can be many causes of picking up a pack again and just as many for not.

This can be a confessional or just a scratching post. It can be used to explain how you managed to stay off them or point to a specific incident that led you back to smoking. I'll start the ball rolling in my next post.

If this thread takes off I'd hope that it could be used by people (posters and lurkers) who are considering quitting. It could make them aware of the pitfalls and traps confronting them and possibly how to deal with them in a non-smoking fashion.

So don't just vote and say nothing. Vote and post your own experience. It's for the greater good :)

Reasons for smoking or not smoking 18 votes

Still not smoking - no specific incidents
    0%
    Still not smoking - specific stressful incidents e.g. job loss, bereavement
    66%
    mewsoKorvanicaGusherINGkarangkaArthurdalyAndrea B.NavanEPSdolliemixdrkpowerOptimus485mumzboyzDaisy Steiner 12 votes
    Still not smoking - other
    16%
    OrionTicktactoeSasquatch76 3 votes
    Back smoking - no specific incidents
    11%
    pinkstarssimplistic2 2 votes
    Back smoking - specific stressful incidents e.g. job loss, bereavement
    5%
    readyletsgo 1 vote
    Back smoking - other
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well then. I said I'd start it.

Without going into too much detail I've had a pretty stressful few months since Easter. A lot of family crap going on - and we all know how stressful that can be. Multiply that by a few factors and you're in the right direction. Then last week my grandfather died. He'd reached the grand old age of 95 but that doesn't lessen the loss at all. He was the patriarch of a large family.

I've also had to be supportive of my partner who's mother has been diagnosed with a degenerative illness. Reading that last line makes it sound like a complaint which it isn't. I love Mrs. Macros and her family and supporting her is not a chore. But from an ex-smoker's perspective is stressful.

And I hit 40 this year! Like that helps!

Through all that I still do not smoke. At all. No cheating. My quitlog mentions my last smoke - 8th January. I've been on weekends away where the GNP of the country took a boost purely on sales of booze and still stayed off them. It's not been easy. But it has been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Well i just seem to get to 3 weeks with no problems , honest. then i start smoking again, I really feel stupid typing this but i have to spend 1 or 2 days forcing myself to smoke , then im right back where i started....For me its the reward factor, i feel that i have no rewards for myself. so after 3 weeks i "reward" myself with a cig and a glass of wine.. i know dollie had this problem too and its great she is still a non smoker, as macros is too. but i just feel i have nothing else.. any help on this one guys..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I gave up on the 1st January when I came across Macros' thread. Not sure I would have been able to keep off them if I hadn't come across that thread. Macros had started the C25k running program and a month after I'd given up, I decided to give it a shot as well. I believe the 'running' thing filled the void for me. Nothing really stressful has happened in the mean time. Infact, my life has improved ten-fold as a result of the endless possibilities that come with being a non-smoker. I am amazed that I am writing this now. I never believed that I would be able to stay off them. For the first three months, I just really doubted that I would last. I would wake up after a night out almost shocked that I'd managed to stay off them the night before. I had one at a hen weekend in early April. And I probably would have had another except the girl who I tried to get one off wouldn't give it to me. This was a huge turning point for me because I haven't smoked a cigarette since and I really believe that this battle just gets easier and easier. It feels like years since I was a smoker. To anyone considering giving up, go for it, but be really hard on yourself for the first few months. When I started I didn't think "this is forever' because it would have been too hard. I used to say I'll just see can I keep off them for a week. When the week was done I'd extend it to two weeks, then three etc... Now I can look at forever without being anxious.

The big tests for me that I got through were

- drinking on a night out without smoking
    - Long trips in the car
    - celebrating finishing an exam
    - on holidays

And I passed them all!

Dolly you will get there. I attempted this many times too. And just like you, felt it would never happen for me. Next time you get to the three week mark...go for the 1 month mark. You might surprise yourself!

And well done again Macros and anyone else who's successfully or unsuccessfully attempted at giving up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I'm still hanging on 3 weeks later. Another week until the habit is broken (according to Mac's thread) :)

Stress levels will be rising for the next two weeks though, so will have to keep on track. Should be fine though, I'm still in the 'hate the thought of smoking' mind-frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Back smoking - specific stressful incidents e.g. job loss, bereavement
    I'm terrible with giving up as usual, keep breaking when out with a smoking friend. But giving up tomorrow!!!!!!!
    I'll stay away from my smoking friends this time for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Back smoking - no specific incidents
    3 weeks today for me! And finding it harder than ever at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

come Tuesday night at 11:30, I will be 7 weeks off the cigs. Cannot believe it. Problem is I would murder a pack of 20 but I know if I even smoked one the look of disappointment on my kid's faces would kill me. They are trilled that I have quit & I am chuffed myself that I have quit. I have put on a stone in weight but am now trying to lose this. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Gave up Feb 16th this year and I ain't going back.
    Its very difficult but the power of the mind is a wonderful thing!

You really have to give up for yourself and no one else, otherwise your floggin a dead horse.

Stick with it and you will reap the benefits!

Advertisement