Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 14-08-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i bought a rifle a few weeks ago and waiting on the licence.. just wondering will the form that you get saying your licence was succesful be good enough proof of acceptance to get your firearm from the shop or do you need the actual licence??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

i bought a rifle a few weeks ago and waiting on the licence.. just wondering will the form that you get saying your licence was succesful be good enough proof of acceptance to get your firearm from the shop or do you need the actual licence??

Dealer will probably want to wait till you get licence. Once you pay you'll have it in 2-3 days

For one thing, if you never paid for licence and he gave you the firearm he would be in ****e as you would then have no licence and he would have given it to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

a friend of mine got his rifle recently, all he needed the acceptance letter and a reciept from the post office saying the licence was paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I paid for my licences over a month ago at the post office and I still don't have my licences!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

a friend of mine got his rifle recently, all he needed the acceptance letter and a reciept from the post office saying the licence was paid for.

Not directed at you, but why the rush? It usually only takes 3-5 days after paying to get the license. After waiting weeks/months why the sudden rush and possibly putting yourself and your dealer in an awkward position.
    I paid for my licences over a month ago at the post office and I still don't have my licences

Get that checked out straight away. Ring An Post and ask were they printed and sent. Inform them you have not recieved them and ask them to check out the situation. If that fails then your next call is to the FPU to get them to chase them up. Serious issue. Licenses going "missing".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I paid for my licences over a month ago at the post office and I still don't have my licences!

I paid for one last Wednesday and got it on the Friday .................. the lad in the PO wanted to keep the grant letter too and I had to politely insist he check with his superiors and once he did I got grant lettr back :rolleyes: Thought this was all sorted :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

the lad in the PO wanted to keep the grant letter too

Oddly enough, I had the same thing happen in a main Dublin PO a couple of weeks ago - The chap behind the counter wanted to keep the letter - I politely pointed out that his retention of my grant letter was neither required nor acceptable. Got my letter back.

Now, that was the first time this has happened in this particular Post Office - On the other occasions, I was in the selfsame PO with my licence grant letters paying the fees, the counter staff did not want to keep the letter.

So, like everything else around these here parts, this seems be very much dependent on which worker in the PO you may be dealing with on any given day. I know "Directives" were apparently issued within an Post about this issue - but, some seem to have read it and others not.

Ah, you gotta love inconsistency!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

As with all things license related , the onus is on YOU to know what should happen

if you are ever unsure you should speak to your club, NGB or indeed that FPU to clarify

- on that note and I know a slight tangent - It seems to me that people individually call the FPU when they have a problem, rather that going through their club or NGB - I realise some of this may be 'it's's about who you know and whose number you have' I.e. Irish Politics and some of it may be due to your club or NGB not being able to find it's own arse with the proverbial map and a flashlamp ---- but there is another side to this - If people do not try to put this (little) stuff through their club or NGB, hence helping out the FPU by lowering their workload and making the clubs and NGBs more relevant in the system, it will be hard for them to get you satisfaction when the FPU won't talk to you , as they won't if you are bringing a case against the Gardai

people will do what they do and not a lot will change that but it's just an observation

B'Man

Advertisement