Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricks of the Trade - dropped chain

• 14-08-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Out for a ride with the group today, and along the way someone downshifts from the big to little chainring and the chain drops, between little chain ring and frame.

So y'er man stops, gets off the bike, puts chain back on, gets hands dirty, wipes on black spandex, and continues on his merry way, as we patiently slow the line down.

Sometimes tricks of the trade are so obvious, that you forget that others might not know them.

So I ride along y'er man, chain on little chainring, and manually drop the chain between the little chainring and the frame. With a strange look, he gazes at me. Without even slowing down, I shift up to the big chain ring and while doing so, SLOWLY, I pedal. Like magic, the chain is back on!

So says I, point taken?

Offered just in case you don't know this one yet.

With that said, if you have any little tricks of the trade, please share.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If this doesn't work, I try and put it back on with my foot (obviously don't try this if you're wearing overshoes or shoes you want to keep shiny).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FISMA wrote: »
    So I ride along y'er man, chain on little chainring, and manually drop the chain between the little chainring and the frame. With a strange look, he gazes at me. Without even slowing down, I shift up to the big chain ring and while doing so, SLOWLY, I pedal. Like magic, the chain is back on!

This may work on your bike, but it doesn't always on mine. I dropped the chain the other day and it lay down on the bottom bracket and went to sleep. No amount of fancy pedalling or shifting would get it back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

If the above fail, a small plastic coin bag keeps the fingers clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

... and manually drop the chain between the little chainring and the frame.

:
    :

So says I, point taken?

:
    :

With that said, if you have any little tricks of the trade, please share.

Another handy top tip: When someone pulls along beside you and drops their chain, use the opportunity to make like the wind and sprint for all your might to claim the win...

This applies to commuter races, stage races, one dayers, sportives, etc etc...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

nereid wrote: »
    Another handy top tip: When someone pulls along beside you and drops their chain, use the opportunity to make like the wind and sprint for all your might to claim the win...

This is taking an unfair advantage and surely such a win would be tainted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

This is taking an unfair advantage and surely such a win would be tainted :pac:

Not at all, a win is a win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Another handy top tip: When someone pulls along beside you and drops their chain, use the opportunity to make like the wind and sprint for all your mightShouting you've been Schlecked to claim the win...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

blobbie wrote: »
    If the above fail, a small plastic coin bag keeps the fingers clean.

I too favour the small plastic coin bag method.

There's alway someone willing to fix the chain....... for a price ;)

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Surgical gloves if you're travelling light. Make-up wipes are handy for persistent problems which deplete the glove supply, but you're getting in to large saddle-bag territory here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+ 1 on the surgical gloves, take up no space, and essential if using white bar tape.

BTW What a BEAUTIFUL day, all of us on the spin this morning kept saying ' Sure there's no better place on Earth ' , that will last until the Monsoon returns on Tues night :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Out early this morning, 6 AM, cool enough, and the lenses heavily fogged up. And wasn't able to dry them enough to use them. And I find that glasses are most useful when cycling in cold air.

So either a good material to dry them off, or a treatment to stop them from condensing in the first place.

Preference given to DIY/free solutions.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought this was something that everyone figures out at some stage as kids when cycling around on a mountain bike that's been through the wars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I thought this was something that everyone figures out at some stage as kids when cycling around on a mountain bike that's been through the wars ?

...assuming that "everyone" was born after child-sized mountain bikes became generally available. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Chain keeper? Does the trick for me.

Lumen wrote: »
    ...assuming that "everyone" was born after child-sized mountain bikes became generally available. :D

A Raleigh Lizard, mid to late 80s I think, my first bike with gears !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hmmm, depends on what your definition of a ''race'' is.
    Discuss.....:pac:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

A Raleigh Lizard, mid to late 80s I think, my first bike with gears !

Oh snap! Use to love my one. Still remember the day I went down to pick it out with my dad.

rmurgm.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oh snap! Use to love my one. Still remember the day I went down to pick it out with my dad.

rmurgm.jpg

Ah, all the rich kids had the lizard :) I had the 2nd hand Grifer which, yes you guessed it, the rich kid traded in when he was buying the lizard :):)

Ha Ha, back then my dad joined the savings club to pay it over months, fair play to him, a bike was always, and still is, something he insisted was worth spending money on to get a good one. Anyway, a Lizard was just a Mustang with a better colour scheme !

I was just wondering, with all the people that get dropped chains, how many people know how to adjust their front derailleur? I'm currently trying to do all my own maintenance and find this site excellent.

• Advertisement

Sheldon Brown seems to be quite good too. I used to play around with my front and rear derailleurs and learned how they worked through trial and error. Now I try not to go near them at all, if they work, leave them be.

Now I try not to go near them at all, if they work, leave them be.

I think this part is very important, you can spend forever and a day trying to get it just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

dohouch wrote: »
    Out early this morning, 6 AM, cool enough, and the lenses heavily fogged up. And wasn't able to dry them enough to use them. And I find that glasses are most useful when cycling in cold air.

So either a good material to dry them off, or a treatment to stop them from condensing in the first place.

Preference given to DIY/free solutions.

A little SCUBA diving trick to stop masks from fogging works just as well for sunnies. Spit on a tissue and rub it on inside of the lenses. Quick splash with your water bottle to rinse it off and Bob's your auntie's husband. You can buy anti fogging stuff in dive shops but saliva works just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

dohouch,
    Are the problems on the inside or the outside of the glasses?

Are you talking about misting on the outside, due to the weather or condensation on the inside due to the heat from your face meeting the cold surface of the lens?

I have found that when the glasses fog up, on the inside, I can remedy the situation by pulling them a bit forward - don't have them so snug on your face.

This is one of the reasons that Oakley vents some frames.
    49419da720087.jpg?1276819356
    Spit, does work in SCUBA. However, I am one of those that must have pristine lenses to see through.

To clean, I use the Oakley bags.
    A very soft material, maybe silk or cotton, should suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

dohouch,
    Are the problems on the inside or the outside of the glasses?

Are you talking about misting on the outside, due to the weather or condensation on the inside due to the heat from your face meeting the cold surface of the lens?

Think my recent experience :cool: was all of the above. The air was cold, and I was hot. I do use the spit trick on swim goggles, but as I ride with clear lenses, (against flies and tearing) a spit film would bother me.

Remember now, under certain rare climatic conditions, driving the car early morning I can get a condensation on the outside of the windscreen which returns after each sweep of the wipers. Not much you can do about it :confused: and I think my last Sunday experience was a bit of this type.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Advertisement