Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, are we sick of SFIV yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Weapon lord!!!
    I ****in loved that snes game back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I kept asking the same question yonks ago and got flamed :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I am so sick of SFIV. I mean there was only 1 Ultra, and no Makoto, who wants to be playing that anymore? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

BanjoB wrote: »
    Weapon lord!!!
    I ****in loved that snes game back in the day.
    I always wanted this game.....purely for the Simon Bisley artwork!!!

Jo Jo's and Warzard are both Super-Duper-Duper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Right now I'm finding BlazBlue more fun. Might be that I prefer the control set up and the combo system, saying that I have been playing a fair bit of HDR online too. I never really went outside of SF before and now that im trying out different games I enjoying them a little more than SSFIV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'll put up with it until some other FGs actually catch on and people start, y'know, playing them.

BBCS looks like its off to a decent start though, bloody ps3 owners and their imports. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Monkeyto wrote: »
    Right now I'm finding BlazBlue more fun. Might be that I prefer the control set up and the combo system, saying that I have been playing a fair bit of HDR online too. I never really went outside of SF before and now that im trying out different games I enjoying them a little more than SSFIV.
    I bought Blazblue a few weeks ago and haven't got into it at all.....I think the darkness of the game is the main stumbling block for me.

I can't see what's going on in front of those pitch black backdrops....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dino Rex is the greatest 2D fighter ever.

Also Garou needs to be played more along with other SNK games. Here's hoping KoF 14 lives up to it's namesake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dino Rex is the greatest 2D fighter ever.

Also Garou needs to be played more along with other SNK games. Here's hoping KoF 14 lives up to it's namesake.

Are you writing off KOF 13 already?

I agree more Garou would be nice but the fact is we will never get the cohesion in any game that SF4 brought to the genre. That and the fact that I still enjoy mean I'm not sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Delete this thread immediately.
    The day I get sick of SFIV is the day my whitered cancer eaten shell of a human existence passes away on my faeces soaked bed away after Sh1tting myself and think of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Everytime i play a few ranked matches i tell myself im sick to death of the game. Yet i keep playing it, wishing they took out shortcuts and auto-correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Needs more 1080.

It wasn't the game that caused the cohesion it was it's timing/exposure imo.

*waits for people to erupt* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

no breakers revenge, list vetoed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    It wasn't the game that caused the cohesion it was it's timing/exposure imo.

*waits for people to erupt* :pac:

No explosion, you're just wrong, people from my era love 4 because it ignores all that 3S rubbish and plays like 2. :P

Yeah SF4 sold really well largely due to the nostalgia factor of it looking superficially so similar to SF2 imo. Honestly I doubt many casual fans who bought it even realised there was ever a SF3.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yeah SF4 sold really well largely due to the nostalgia factor of it looking superficially so similar to SF2 imo. Honestly I doubt many casual fans who bought it even realised there was ever a SF3.

It goes a little deeper than that I think, I have many friends who found they could happily play SF4 pretty much exactly like 2. Which you can, until you run into someone who plays 4 properly. I got many "why the **** are you flashing yellow and how come your hadoken bet mine" comments in the first few months.

Most big fans of 2 heard of 3. They stopped playing because of it.

you can play like that in sf3 if you want as well, same thing applies with regard to playing properly imo

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    you can play like that in sf3 if you want as well, same thing applies with regard to playing properly imo

Not really, don't think I am explaining myself well...

The feeling of the timing in 4 for things like cancels etc feels just like it did in champ edition. It feels a little different in 3. Like within 10 minutes of loading 4 I was hitting cl fp xx dp, whereas it took me a good few fights you get cancels working with Remy in 3S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

alot of people/'gamers' i know, thought 3 didnt exist.
    I guess it was the timing of the game as well as it was only out on dreamcast and then only a 're-release' on xbox and ps2, years after.

All joking aside etc,
    I didn't know 3 existed until I was 13 and saw some random match video and was like wtf is this. I was mad into SF2 and Alpha beforehand so I had no clue what it was. So I bought it then :pac:

Not my cup of tea but I try not to let that cloud my judgement of the game. But, correct me if I am wrong, weren't arcade in a terrible state when 3 came out? (I'm not trying to make allowances for it's unpopularity) Or did SF2 player not like the look of it? I've always believed it was the former, but did people honestly all play 3 when it first came out and think "**** game"?

I always believed that SFIV got the recognition it did because of it's timing, more media exposure etc, towards casual gamers. Ongoing SF players would of heard of it regardless so is that why the game is so popular and helped bring so many new people to the fore? Or is it just because it has the same characters and game play style of 2 (debatable, but we will leave this for now :pac:) and thus older gamers and whoever remembered it because that? Of course I could be totally wrong, and I probably am

Said it before and even though I may not like IV, I still commend it and tip my hat to what it did to get ****loads of new players interested in the game/series, that's what it's all about

I still think 3s is the best fighting game ever made, ST following very very closely behind. But that's just me :)

i do think to an extent media favoured a lot for sf4, with technologies such as youtube and blogging, companies can target the market very smartly by releasing teasers and trolling like ono and it works wonders.
    We have gaming websites whos reviews are often followed religiously and so on, so yeah that is true to an extent but i think most of the non hardcore gamer customers as mentioned above were nostalgic sf2 players. People who saw their old favorite characters guile and blanka again on their latest console generation etc etc. Same way i loved mario as a kid and mario kart etc etc when new mario bros come out on DS, i was all over it and I dont follow the series that religiously.

Ya definitely, When I first saw SFIV I actually thought it looked awesome. After playing a lot of 3, and a lot of 2 beforehand, I was glad to see a game with a proper Ryu (SF2 main) (hated how shoto work in 3s) and SF2 esque gameplay. I had heard from someone who was at BoD that it played a lot like 2 so I was mad psyched. , the game looked like it was just back to pure SF, looking at the pre release videos.

If memory is correct- and bear in mind these memories are about 12 years old :D- alpha 2 was pretty much the standard game in Dublin city when the original 3 came out. The arcades were still alive but they were no where near as busy as they were in the CE and HF days. It only appeared in Quirkeys and yeah, most people didn't like it. I only had very few 2p games on it and most of them were with joconnell.

To be honest the next thing I remember playing after that were the early marvel games. Basically no one enjoyed the first 3 game and the damage was done.

I actually think, in the arcade, the risk/reward on parry was way too high.

Was talking to joc about this the other day, back when emulation wasn't good no one could do links in the arcade. You simply wouldn't have the time to get them down and when playing 2p doing risky combos would get you killed.

Ditto for parries, the eventual reward simply didn't seem enough for the learning period of losing alot of money on missed parries.

getting back on topic, where were you guys with the explosion of guilty gear etc, XBOX centers had already emerged [not sure if they had ps2]. CvS2 had a scene etc etc but any time i posted about fighting games on the game forum i got so so replies. No real interest.

I do think if this community/scene was formed earlier we would all be eligible guilty gear players etc perhaps even better sf players but i guess most of you are just the nostalgic players mentioned above ;)

Wakuwaku 7 is a nice game but one of the most recent fighters alot of people missed is Rumble Fish, its on the ps2 so defo a must.
    The graphics and game play is real nice. Some nice aesthetic effects, your clothes tear as you lose, sun flares in background stages etc etc

Placebo wrote: »
    getting back on topic, where were you guys with the explosion of guilty gear etc, XBOX centers had already emerged [not sure if they had ps2]. CvS2 had a scene etc etc but any time i posted about fighting games on the game forum i got so so replies. No real interest.

I do think if this community/scene was formed earlier we would all be eligible guilty gear players etc perhaps even better sf players but i guess most of you are just the nostalgic players mentioned above ;)

I was playing CvS2, MvC2 and Neo Geo Battle Colliseum at home but I was completely unaware of the existence of any form of Irish scene.

I was a TOTAL casual player though, SF4 was the first game I really learned anything about properly.

i see your sign up date is pretty noobish, 2006, your story checks out.
    haha jkn, i guess technology wasnt what it is now, with people not so computer literate it would have been hard to even to get the word out.

Placebo wrote: »
    i see your sign up date is pretty noobish, 2006, your story checks out.
    haha jkn, i guess technology wasnt what it is now, with people not so computer literate it would have been hard to even to get the word out.

Yeah I didn't have broadband at home until after my sign up date either. :)

Plus I had no one to play with, and with no internets...

• Advertisement

I do think if this community/scene was formed earlier we would all be eligible guilty gear players etc perhaps even better sf players but i guess most of you are just the nostalgic players mentioned above

That's what I think sometimes but then again I could be completely wrong

12 years ago? damn, i was only 7 :pac: where was i?!

Advertisement