Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 Achievements

• 14-08-2010 3:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

I must say I'm quite the achievement whore when it comes to playing the xbox.

I have limited time to play my xbox so my gamerscore is rather weak, but some of the achievements were rather challanging and other were great fun.

Are there any other achievement hunters out there?

Side note - I recommend TrueAchievements.com. for tips and support! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I'd probably consider myself an achievement hunter/whore, but 90% of the time I'll only go for achievements or completion in games I really like and enjoy. There are many people who take achievement whoring a step above and beyond, and buy or get a loan of well known easy 1000GS titles (mainly kids or crap games in general) just to boost their GS. I'd rather have completion or high GS in a game I like. I don't have a problem with any type of whore though, to each their own.:D

And yeah Trueachievements and Xbox360achievements are both great for achievement guides and tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Loooooove my cheesements :)

Proud to say though I still haven't got avatar on my gamercard....... yet.

Much as love the little dinky noise when you unlock one, there are just ones that I refuse to go for just for the sake of, like in Guitar hero 2 the career mode ones tied to completing it on the different difficulties as they don't stack like the newer ones, there is no way i could bring myself to sit there playing on easy, or the ones for 1000 kills etc. Unless it's fun to do so.

For me game 1st, achievements 2nd . That gets blurred sometimes though. Have to say also I'm loving the avatar awards included in many newer games, gives you something real I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

calex71 wrote: »
    For me game 1st, achievements 2nd . That gets blurred sometimes though.

Herein lies the problem, im sure we all know at least one person who has to be as close to 1000 as they can possibly be for all their games but some achievements are stupidly difficult almost as if the creators put them in just to see if people would be stupid enough to try and get them.

As you say yourself Calex its about the game and achievements have gone from being about rewarding you for playing to the player noting down what needs to be doing before starting, in other words achievements now guide you through the game which i think takes away from the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Achievements can enhance a game and greatly increase the life of a pretty short game. Take Marble Blast for example. You'd lash through all 60 levels in a couple of sessions. Getting sub-par times increased that time by many many many multiples, and it was a great challenge.

Collecting 4,000 orbs, 800 feathers or 100 coffee thermoses are the worst kind of achievement (especially when you have to search every nook and cranny in a game). Feathers or Thermoses don't even make sense, or give you any tangible advantage in the game. They artificially increase the length of the game through tiresome means. They're not a challenge in the fun sense (like skill based achievements).

Mr E wrote: »

Collecting 4,000 orbs, 800 feathers or 100 coffee thermoses are the worst kind of achievement (especially when you have to search every nook and cranny in a game). Feathers or Thermoses don't even make sense, or give you any tangible advantage in the game. They artificially increase the length of the game through tiresome means. They're not a challenge in the fun sense (like skill based achievements).

Have to agree there especially when there is no reward other than an achievement for doing it. Trying to think of an example more recent but they escape me right now. I remember in GTA 3 on the ps2 when you collected hidden packages you got a new goodie outside your hide out for every 10 collected. Fast forward to those bloody pigeons in GTA4 :mad:

I absolutely hate online multiplayer achievements. In my experience you get people play a certain way to get one, disrupting the flow of play or dropping out once they get it. Co-Op ones can be a lot of fun as they make you play like a proper team in some cases and get the communication going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I actually enjoy some of the collection achievements, particularly in the Crackdown games, although they were easier in the second game. I agree with Mr. E that the most fun ones are the skill based ones, for example I really enjoyed the Beat The Team achievement in Split/Second and actually got a sense of achievement from it.

I don't mind the online ones but it really depends on what they are, I don't see a point in getting an achievement for playing a certain amount of games but for winning a certain amount I don't mind, so long as it can't be cheated by playing with friends and boosting it because whats the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I like my achievements too but like the others here it's generally the quality and enjoyment of a game that comes first for me. The worst types are definitely the collect hundreds of an item ones. I think these need to have the achievements broken down and reward for every 25 or so of an item you collect. But when you don't get anything tangible in game for doing it then it's really very pointless.

Having said that, i've still shot all 100 pigeons, collected 100 feathers and will probably grab all 100 thermoses now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yep, really like my achievements and no Avatar stink on me.

Really like trueachievements.com too. My TA ratio is about 1.60 with a completion percentage of 81% hate when dlc is added to a game though as that brings it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I'd probably consider myself an achievement hunter/whore, but 90% of the time I'll only go for achievements or completion in games I really like and enjoy. There are many people who take achievement whoring a step above and beyond, and buy or get a loan of well known easy 1000GS titles (mainly kids or crap games in general) just to boost their GS. I'd rather have completion or high GS in a game I like.

I'm in the exact same boat. I wouldn't want to be labeled an achievement whore. I'd prefer achievement lady of the night.

Also, I'm going to try something nobody has ever done before: actually finish the Avatar game but I'm waiting until i finish watching the third season of the cartoons.

Proudest achievement: Little Rocket Man in Half Life 2.

The most difficult achievement I've ever gotten, according to trueachievements.com anyway is.

Green Latern's Light! a lil 5g achievement with a TA ratio of 9.17

Don't remember having too much of a problem with it. In fact most of DC vs Mortal Kombat has a huge TA ratio.

• Advertisement

rizzla wrote: »
    The most difficult achievement I've ever gotten, according to trueachievements.com anyway is.

Green Latern's Light! a lil 5g achievement with a TA ratio of 9.17

Don't remember having too much of a problem with it. In fact most of DC vs Mortal Kombat has a huge TA ratio.

Yeah for the most part TA get's it spot on but on games not many people play it skews the ratio as a result. The ones for Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero some of them are massive ratios for really easy but difficult to get enough people to do out side of a boosting session once the game has been out a while. and the ones for you're in movies are pretty high.

One's I'm most proud of are the RB: Beatles Gold Star related one's, really got a kick out of going for them and still have 2 of them to do ,

It's showing my highest TA ratio on "Sampler Plate" in guitar hero 5
    - Play at least one song in Quickplay, Career and each Competitive game type with a TA of 4.13????? Not a difficult one at all but it seems it was bugged some how ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm a huge fan of achievements, I just got the 100% one in Red Dead Redemption. It was quite a project, not sure what game I'll play next!

Mr. K wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of achievements, I just got the 100% one in Red Dead Redemption. It was quite a project, not sure what game I'll play next!

Really enjoyed going for that one, made it seem like I got every drop of goodness from the experience. Some of the animals drove me mad trying to hunt down, and the dice and poker games had me pulling my hair out until I worked out how to even the odds in my favor ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Here's a nice read for all you achievers out there.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/engineeringblog/achievements-unlocked.htm

Did you know that the “Achievement unlocked” toast and the happy sound that goes with it were a last minute addition before we released the Xbox 360?

Interesting! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

My top TA ratio is 4.93 for a speedrun in Mirrors Edge. That games got some good ratio's to it. My overall ratio is up and down all the time with me playing some easy games dragging the total down

djkeogh wrote: »
    My top TA ratio is 4.93 for a speedrun in Mirrors Edge. That games got some good ratio's to it. My overall ratio is up and down all the time with me playing some easy games dragging the total down

My highest ratio booster is Skate (first one).

Too easy. :cool:

Really enjoyed going for that one, made it seem like I got every drop of goodness from the experience. Some of the animals drove me mad trying to hunt down, and the dice and poker games had me pulling my hair out until I worked out how to even the odds in my favor ;)

I agree. I got quite annoyed looking for beavers, skunks and cougars. Then, after I'd killed two cougars with my knife, I came across loads of them!

Playing a perfect game of Liar's Dice took me a few goes. Rockstar were smart with their rewards structure in the game, since you unlocked costumes as you went for 100%. It's nice to get in-game unlocks in addition to the achievement.

Going for the multiplayer ones now, getting to Level 50 may take a while!

Mr. K wrote: »

Going for the multiplayer ones now, getting to Level 50 may take a while!

Should I tell you it was 2x xp all last weekend? I had a mind to to go for it too, was on level 39 but after an hour of playing co-op and other modes with complete tools I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I like the achievements for Halo 3 they encompass every aspect of the game and only a few of them are aridiculously hard to get. Annual was many favourite very frustrating yet very fun at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Love my cheevs too but two of the most satisfying were the Vidmaster Annual and Endure on Halo 3 and ODST. Total gamerscore for both was 0. :D

• Advertisement

My favourite achievement has to be "gunslinger" for COD W@W.

POW! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

I like achievements. I was ecstatic last week when I reached exactly 20000 points. But aside from Oblivion, I have never even attempted getting every achievement for a game. I prefer gaining them by naturally playing the game and unlocking them as I go. Far more rewarding to me, than purposely going about trying to play the game a certain way.
    Online achievements can suck balls, especially if the online gaming is terrible (Bioshock 2, i'm looking at you!)

I like achievements. I was ecstatic last week when I reached exactly 20000 points. But aside from Oblivion, I have never even attempted getting every achievement for a game. I prefer gaining them by naturally playing the game and unlocking them as I go. Far more rewarding to me, than purposely going about trying to play the game a certain way.
    Online achievements can suck balls, especially if the online gaming is terrible (Bioshock 2, i'm looking at you!)

I find those the worst achievements. I'm gonna play through the game anyway, my rewards are already the next cutscenes/boss battle/set piece. I want achievements to make me play the game in a way I wouldn't have thought or try something I never would have done.

Should I tell you it was 2x xp all last weekend? I had a mind to to go for it too, was on level 39 but after an hour of playing co-op and other modes with complete tools I gave up.

I played for a while last weekend, so I took advantage briefly. I'm only on Level 19, I have a fair bit to go!

I find those the worst achievements. I'm gonna play through the game anyway, my rewards are already the next cutscenes/boss battle/set piece. I want achievements to make me play the game in a way I wouldn't have thought or try something I never would have done.

You are of course correct, but those finishing a level achievement points aren't neccessarily the ones I'm talking about. I don't go chasing achievements that much, but it's nice to unlock some by not going after them. They're always a pleasant surprise.

My biggest gripe on achievements I suppose, would be the ones for finishing a level on each difficulty. This is fine, if you're playing on the hardest level and finishing that level unlocks the lower achievements also, but if they don't do this, i feel cheated, as I am not going to do a playthrough again on a lower level, for a lower amount of achievement points!

My biggest gripe on achievements I suppose, would be the ones for finishing a level on each difficulty. This is fine, if you're playing on the hardest level and finishing that level unlocks the lower achievements also, but if they don't do this, i feel cheated, as I am not going to do a playthrough again on a lower level, for a lower amount of achievement points!

Yup, Guitar Hero 2 did this and can proudly say I still don't have the one for playing on easy and have no intention of doing.

On the subject of completing games, Oblivion / Fallout / Dragon age are really games you should go for the full 1000 as those achievements as linked to many side quests that you might otherwise miss. Loved them as they really made it seem like I saw everything that there was in those games.

Yup, Guitar Hero 2 did this and can proudly say I still don't have the one for playing on easy and have no intention of doing.

On the subject of completing games, Oblivion / Fallout / Dragon age are really games you should go for the full 1000 as those achievements as linked to many side quests that you might otherwise miss. Loved them as they really made it seem like I saw everything that there was in those games.

Fallout and Dragon Age both have achievements for reaching level 20 as good guy, and reaching level 20 as bad guy. This is another thing that gets on my nerves. 1 achievement for level 20 is enough thank you!

Oblivion pissed me right off. I got 990 points, and a glitch in the game prevented me from getting the last 10. I completed the mission, but never got the points :mad:

Fallout and Dragon Age both have achievements for reaching level 20 as good guy, and reaching level 20 as bad guy. This is another thing that gets on my nerves. 1 achievement for level 20 is enough thank you!

I wounder if they patched those, I have to confess to getting those by less savory means ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

no i'm not an achievement whore. i'd only really collect achievements if it's already part of the main story. some of them i might replay the game over to complete them for fun (like only using one bullet in one of the Half Life episodes) or if it's a really hard challenge.

the good thing with Oblivion achievements was that you could all the achievements by doing side-quests. it kinda encouraged me to do all of them (i probably would have done them anyway). i hate achievements that don't add anything to the game. you would only do something for the sake of an achievement - like in GTA IV, you took a taxi from one island to another without skipping the journey. WTF??? they must have been short of 1000 points if all they could add was that :mad:

finding things (like the pigeons in GTA IV) i could not be arsed with. unless collecting stuff gives some kind of reward (like the golden scarabs in Ninja Gaiden Black, although that was an original xbox game), i wouldn't collect them for the sake of an achievement. Ninja gaiden II pissed me off that way. i was collecting crystal skulls and had 20 til i released i got nothing except a shítty achievement :mad:

• Advertisement

Nah. Where's the satisfaction of picking up achievements by playing a game. They must be challenging!

You are right about the online achievements though!

GOW2 :mad: Course you.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    no i'm not an achievement whore. i'd only really collect achievements if it's already part of the main story. some of them i might replay the game over to complete them for fun (like only using one bullet in one of the Half Life episodes) or if it's a really hard challenge.

I just finished HalfLife2 tonight and I'm going for the one bullet achievement next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I like achievements that challenge you to do something differently but online they are just encouraging boosting

HxGH wrote: »
    GOW2 :mad: Course you.

What you mean by that? The difficulty achievements in Gears 2 are stackable.

What you mean by that? The difficulty achievements in Gears 2 are stackable.

The hardest difficulty is unlocked after completing it once already.

So I'm cursing the fact that you must play it twice.
    NTMK wrote: »
    I like achievements that challenge you to do something differently but online they are just encouraging boosting

And yeah. Boosting sucks!

• Advertisement

HxGH wrote: »
    The hardest difficulty is unlocked after completing it once already.

So I'm cursing the fact that you must play it twice.

Ah right. Didn't remember that. I did it once by myself and my insane run in co-op.

Ah right. Didn't remember that. I did it once by myself and my insane run in co-op.

I still have to do GOW's (1) hardest difficulty.

Its on my to-do list. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ThatsOurGaming

if any of you guys record your achievement hunting i would be glad to post it up on our channel
    www.youtube.com/thatsourgaming

http://www.youtube.com/Thatsourgaming

if any of you guys record your achievement hunting i would be glad to post it up on our channel
    www.youtube.com/thatsourgaming

http://www.youtube.com/Thatsourgaming

I'll keep it in mind.

I'm playing Dragon Age at the moment, and it's interesting to see that I'll never achieve full marks. I tend to make choices and stick with them, and there's a lot of "choose this side" etc. That's grand, on a second play through, i may play it differently.
    Thing is though, in these character based story games, I play the character as close to my own personality as possible. Therefore, making out with any of the male characters is never going to happen, as I wouldn't do it in real life. Any of you guys done it just for the achievements? I'd feel like they were cheap achievements and I'd betrayed my playing style if I went after those.

• Advertisement

I'm playing Dragon Age at the moment, and it's interesting to see that I'll never achieve full marks. I tend to make choices and stick with them, and there's a lot of "choose this side" etc. That's grand, on a second play through, i may play it differently.
    Thing is though, in these character based story games, I play the character as close to my own personality as possible. Therefore, making out with any of the male characters is never going to happen, as I wouldn't do it in real life. Any of you guys done it just for the achievements? I'd feel like they were cheap achievements and I'd betrayed my playing style if I went after those.

I see your point and I play like that also, but there is also a big level of fun for me going the evil route on my 2nd play though, and yes I kissed the boys in dragon age. I got most of the achievements from 1 play. I was clever with saves and played as a female character. I do need to go back and play through the start and glitch 2 more classes to level 20 (one of the rare times I condone this as its boring to have to do this 6 times) and kiss Morrigan, she would not lez out with a female character :mad: I was able to bed all the others with my super sexy fem fatal :D

When I play games where your character's physical abilities and looks are customisable I do tend to copy myself.

And then there are other times when you just feel like saying "heck, its just a game." You don't have to be yourself all the time.

Sidenote - No matter how brave I'm feeling in video games I never make out with lads.

Advertisement