Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom reseting sync speeds?

• 14-08-2010 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

my line seems to of been dropped back a bit, have tried rebooting the router a few times but cant get my sync speed to go back to the original speed, also when i do a speedtest its a good bit worse :(

my original sync speed was this just a week ago

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 15221 765
    SN Margin (dB) 5.00 17.20
    Line Attenuation (dB) 33.00 15.00
    CRC Errors 68 0

904813501.png

and now it stands at this!

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12421 765
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 17.70
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

914259631.png

im not a happy bunny :( think they will get getting a call today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Your downstream SN is 6dB. In your case I believe that your router has negotiated this speed with your local exchange and Eircom haven't changed anything. The higher the sync speed the lower the SN will get, so your router will aim to achieve a speed that corresponds with a 6dB SN margin when syncing. Once it's synced then it will attempt to hold onto the connection as long as possible so trying a resync at different times of the day (for me I get a lower SN at night for example, so during the day gives me the best sync speeds), or checking your internal cabling might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

bkehoe wrote: »
    Your downstream SN is 6dB. In your case I believe that your router has negotiated this speed with your local exchange and Eircom haven't changed anything. The higher the sync speed the lower the SN will get, so your router will aim to achieve a speed that corresponds with a 6dB SN margin when syncing. Once it's synced then it will attempt to hold onto the connection as long as possible so trying a resync at different times of the day (for me I get a lower SN at night for example, so during the day gives me the best sync speeds), or checking your internal cabling might help.

trust me the wiring in my house is not the problem, my lines always had a low SNR at or below 6dB and as ive said it never once disconnected at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

dazdrog wrote: »
    trust me the wiring in my house is not the problem, my lines always had a low SNR at or below 6dB and as ive said it never once disconnected at all

That's doesn't mean it isn't your internal wiring. If your line can't handle the full speed the ISP offer your router will sync as high as it can and leave you with a lowish snr. What's happened here is the line has gotten slightly worse and the router has connected at a lower speed, nothing to do with Eircom changing your speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

That's doesn't mean it isn't your internal wiring. If your line can't handle the full speed the ISP offer your router will sync as high as it can and leave you with a lowish snr. What's happened here is the line has gotten slightly worse and the router has connected at a lower speed, nothing to do with Eircom changing your speed.

i know its not my home wiring as its all new within the last few months and i fited it myself

line was well able for the faster speeds for the the last 7 or 8 months! line cant of got worse overnight, dry weather no rain too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

dazdrog wrote: »
    i know its not my home wiring as its all new within the last few months and i fited it myself

line was well able for the faster speeds for the the last 7 or 8 months! line cant of got worse overnight, dry weather no rain too

There really is no discussion, I'm just telling you how it is. Your router has connected at a lower speed. It may/maynot be your internal wiring but it's not eircom changing your line profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Anything can affect the SN margin on a line...water, sun, wind, temperature, electrical appliances, atmospheric conditions, etc. Something has happened to your line or near your line to slightly increase the noise, it happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Eircom HAVE made a change to your profile. Your Data Path has been changed from FastPath to Interleaving. The router does NOT get to choose this for itself, it is set in the profile and this can ONLY be done by Eircom.

Advertisement