Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-grouting floor tiles - grouting pen?

• 14-08-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Is there any way to re-grout my bathroom floor tiles. They are white with grey grouting, about 20 years old and the grout is starting to break up and come out in small pieces....and it hurts like hell when you stand on a piece!
    What can I do to repair it?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Try and scrape out as much of the old grout as possible with an old screwdriver or the like. Be careful not to damage the edges of the tiles. If its breaking up like that, most of it shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Regrout with flexible waterproof floortile grout which is available from any good tile store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can get a grout rake that will dig it out easier, but is severe on the blades and needs elbow grease

That aside, the grout cracking and coming away in lumps is usually a sign that the tiles have come loose. You'd want to check that before you go re-grouting because they will just crack again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can get serrated blades for removing grout from any DIY store.

You could also try a plunge cutter with the right attachment (e.g. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/Tool_Reviews/bosch_pmf_180E.htm). Got one recently, and it's handy for everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Turns out the tiles are indeed loose as suggested!

Can I restick them down or is this a job for a professional tiler?

I am rubbish at DIY that's why I am asking! (but I can knit!!)

Thanks again everyone

Eibhin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

astrofool wrote: »
    You can get serrated blades for removing grout from any DIY store.

You could also try a plunge cutter with the right attachment (e.g. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/Tool_Reviews/bosch_pmf_180E.htm). Got one recently, and it's handy for everything :)

Quite the tool okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Eibhin wrote: »
    Turns out the tiles are indeed loose as suggested!

Can I restick them down or is this a job for a professional tiler?

I am rubbish at DIY that's why I am asking! (but I can knit!!)

Thanks again everyone

Eibhin

You can get some more adhesive, and re-lay the tiles that have come loose after scraping the adhesive off the back etc.... but if you are completely hopeless at diy (no offence intended) then it might be worth calling someone in to take care of it.

Advertisement