Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Resolution Photograph for Magazine?

• 14-08-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We've been asked to submit a high resolution photo for publication in a magazine. I've checked out our photos and their dimensions are from 4272 x 2848 and some are 2848 4272. Are these 'high resolution' photos'? Also do they have to be in colour?

an article i was reading on the net said 1500 x 2100
    pixels was high resolution but it didnt mention about colour? Does high resolution only mean the dimensions?

Thanks, cerebis!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

cerebis wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We've been asked to submit a high resolution photo for publication in a magazine. I've checked out our photos and their dimensions are from 4272 x 2848 and some are 2848 4272. Are these 'high resolution' photos'? Also do they have to be in colour?

pixels was high resolution but it didnt mention about colour? Does high resolution only mean the dimensions?

Thanks, cerebis!

I've contributed to several magazine's and was asked to provide images of a maximum of around 1024x768 pixels...no need to send any bigger unless they want to print posters.
    As for whether the images should be colour or b&w, what was requested in the assignment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

cerebis wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thanks, cerebis!

For a small picture framed by text, you shouldn't need more than 300-600ppi.
    I usually send images of about 1600x1200. For a larger
    full page or front cover, higher resolution is desirable. Your 4272x2848
    pictures should be good enough for anyone. If you are using JPEG
    images, use high quality/low compression settings. I use 92 on
    the 0-100 scale in Gimp. Non lossy formats like TIFF are better,
    but the file size will be much bigger.

Publishers like to get the highest resolution possible. This
    gives them more latitude for re-scaling and cropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

easy answer is ask them

but failing that, just send them the full thing, it doesnt hurt i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

Graphic Designers and printers [the people who print magazines not the inkjet printers :-) ] work on the basis of DPI (dots per inch). Digital Images are measured in PPI (pixels per inch). They're not the same. Designers and printers work on the double the dpi to get the ppi needed.

High quality magazines in this country generally use 150dpi. This means that you need 300ppi. In Photoshop or Elements go to "Image Size", click OFF "Resample Image", type in "300" in the Pixels per Inch field and you'll see how big that shot can be printed natively in a magazine.

ResampleImageOFF.jpg

If this size is too big for the magazine then make a copy of the image and click ON "Resample Image" (leaving the 300ppi) and type in the new width or height needed,

Dave

Advertisement