Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Advice needed making internal Hd external

Options
  • 14-08-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

I recently thought of turning my old laptop hard drive into an external one for the pvr function in my satellite receiver...

I was pretty "green" and went off and bought an external housing from hong kong on ebay...

When it arrive i noticed that the two connecting piece were not compatible...

I uploaded some pics on photobucket and attached the link...

Any advice, guidance or links would be great...

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/glenviewjf/Harddrive/

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

can you link to were you bought the hard drive enclosure it looks to me like your cadie is ide and your hard drive is sata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Just checked my ebay messages and it says the enclosure is:

2.5" USB External IDE HDD HD Hard Drive Disk Caddy Case

Should i have got a Sata one?:mad:

yes there lies your problem what size hd is yours maybe try swopping with someone who has a ide on adverts

Ya its a 250gb think il just order a sata enclosure off ebay, it wont break the bank anyways...

Thanks for your help:D

ye tru can you just post the model niumber of your hd just so i can be 100% its sata but im 99 .9 that it is

• Advertisement

Am its:

Seagate SG - OR5766 - 45G - P0BV

Rev A00

Model : ST93012A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Yea your HD is sata(Serial ATA) and the enclosure is pata(Parallel ATA), just get another enclosure problem sorted.

You can buy another pata HD fairly cheap and have 2 ext HD's.

EDIT:
    Although the model number when googled brings up a Parallel HD, but first pic is certainly SATA.

Confused.... Been looking at some sata connections and der seems to be a split bout half ways in the connection yet theres none in mine...

What get so? Pata? Sata?

Ok so i bought a 2.5hd enclosure off ebay... It arrive today but again the harddrive will not fit!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Am so like the connection on the harddrive is much too big for the sata connection in the enclosure...

And as i said in sata connections theres a break bit theres none in my hd connection!!

Help :(:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hmm a bit late now perhaps but that looks to me like a proprietary adapter covering a normal 44-pin IDE Connector.

See here for example.

http://www.drivesolutions.com/info/aboutlaptop.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

OP: Argh... fuzzy pics are fuzzy :o I can't make out any detail on them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Its a PATA drive.

You should be able to remove the plastic block with the golden fingers on either side which is attached to the drive, to reveal a standard 44-pin connector.

marco_polo's link shows how it comes apart.

Thanks guys alls well with the connection!! :D

But!!

Theres always a but!!

Used it in d ide enclosure, all connected up grand, when i connected it to the laptop it said something like installing new device..

Waited it said new device installed!

But when i go to my computer it aint showing up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Thanks guys alls well with the connection!! :D

But!!

Theres always a but!!

Used it in d ide enclosure, all connected up grand, when i connected it to the laptop it said something like installing new device..

Waited it said new device installed!

But when i go to my computer it aint showing up :(

Right click 'My Computer' and go to drive management. See if its there, might just need to be formatted.

Where would it show up here?

Its not under disk management anyways!

Screen shot:

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/glenviewjf/Screen%20Shot/?action=view&current=ScreenShot.png

As i initialize disk 2 (think thats it ?) get this message:

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/glenviewjf/Screen Shot/?action=view&current=Capture1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

How are you powering the drive? USB only? Sometimes a drive will require more power than your USB port provides.

Does your enclosure come with a y-cable (for two USB ports) or separate PSU?

It comes with a Y cable... Have it plugged in to the two ports to power it!

Advertisement