Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talk Talk Talk.....

• 14-08-2010 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Now, I enjoy talk radio very much but not all the time. Tuning up and down the dial this morning, where I live - south Wicklow - since 9.45 and it's all talk No friggin music except a requiem on Lyric (depressing). Radio 1, Playback, 2FM Tommy and Hector (thought they'd buggered off!),Newstalk is, well, talk too, RnaG Caint as Gaeilge, East Coast Declan Meehan Talk show repeat, South East Some farming programme. so I try online: 4FM Talk Show, Q102 a bit music much chatter in between songs. Four of the five main BBC radio channels are talk based this morning too. :confused: Is music radio on the way out??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Stick on a cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Lapin wrote: »
    Stick on a cd.
    Thanks for a lazy answer!

Why should I have to? They are licenced by a Government (read Taxpayer owned) organisation to use a spectrum that is effectively owned and licenced by the taxpayer (you and I) and as such we should be offered choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Isn't Beat 102 103 down around those parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Can you pick up spin there? Ye can pick it up in wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Now, I enjoy talk radio very much but not all the time. Tuning up and down the dial this morning, where I live - south Wicklow - since 9.45 and it's all talk No friggin music except a requiem on Lyric (depressing). Radio 1, Playback, 2FM Tommy and Hector (thought they'd buggered off!),Newstalk is, well, talk too, RnaG Caint as Gaeilge, East Coast Declan Meehan Talk show repeat, South East Some farming programme. so I try online: 4FM Talk Show, Q102 a bit music much chatter in between songs. Four of the five main BBC radio channels are talk based this morning too. :confused: Is music radio on the way out??

What bbc stations can you pick up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I hate talk on the radio, if i want to hear whinging i'll go back into the house...seriously though, plenty of stations on UPC if you have it, or get a fm transmitter for the computer (really cheap) ..i have Radio Caroline on all day...if you like yer classic rock that is..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ah Lenny, Lenny, Lenny... when the local stations don't cut it, that's what Internet radio is for! There's more to life than FM :)

Why not try WBUZ, 98rock WBBB, 98.7 The Peak or a variety of other American stations? Or how about online only radio such as iRock109?

Or of course you could listen to practically any station from around Ireland (here's some) streaming online, not just the nationals and your locals...

Can you pick up the Radio Nova test TX where you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Q102 a bit music much chatter in between songs.

Q102 dont talk much even when Ray Shah is on, do they?

You should try one of the many "More Music, Less Talk" stations :P

With the 20% rule its difficult to avoid talk on Irish radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thanks for a lazy answer!

It was a lazy answer in fairness but its not without merit all the same.

I don't now what kind of music you want to hear but as you mention 2FM and Lyric FM in your initial post, it is unlikely that your tastes will be met.

One station churns out chart drivel intersped with hyperactive DJ's telling listners "ITS THE WEEKEND'.

The other focuses on classical music with but places a strong emphasis on playing populist peices from Verdi, Chopin, and Mozart etc.
    Nothing wrong with this, but there is only so much Va, pensiero to be had in any given week.

Your gripe highlights the fact that there is little music choice over the airwaves on a Saturday morning. Its a point well made. And it would appear that some of the 'music' stations are guilty of laziness too as they use Saturday morning as a dumping ground for repeats of the weeks 'highlights' and other muck.

Personally, I prefer 'talk' radio because I can't trust the 'music' stations to play what I want to hear. Hence my suggestion regarding sticking on a cd.
    At least I'm in control of the music I want to hear.

If someone on a 'talk' radio discussion says something that gets my goat up, I can swear at the radio or give out about it here.

But if some DJ tells me how brilliant the world is simply because "ITS FRIDAY" before playing the latest "hit" from Jedfuks, I want to throw my radio into the nearest lake.

So when it comes to music, I'll look to my cd collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

stations like rte 1 and newstalk I can understand not playing music but it seems now a days that all the music stations do is talk and play ads and all at the same time aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement