Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty brick petrol station on Dunmore Road

• 14-08-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Does anyone know who owns this or why it has been vacant for so long?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

If it's the one opposite Collins Avenue there were talks of McDonald's opening a drive thru outlet but it was met with lots of objections. I don't know how much truth was in that rumour though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

BBQ Guy wrote: »
    Does anyone know who owns this or why it has been vacant for so long?
    i think the lad to had it opened the top station out by the holycross

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

It is closed simply because it wasnt making money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

It belongs to the same developer that owns the Brass Cock Complex. Their planning application was objected too and by the time it got planning the economy had fallen over a cliff!!

McDonald's were never on the cards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I heard a long time ago that Kavanaghs bought it and were going to build apartments there. At the time that made sense because I know for a fact they owned the house behind it that was knocked down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fishfindus

DKav has some sort of right of way alright via the gate, which is not cordoned off. Proabbly realted to the fact the road used to run round the back of the garage site (I remember a well was there on a bad bend).

the site was being bought by one of the people at BCock (a shocking Limerick solicitor - read about Bayworld on the courts.ie or independent.ie websites) and others. Not sure if it was actually bought though they did get planning for a development which you can see on Council's website. One of the rumours which makes sone sense is the sale collapsed as the site was contaminated - there is legislation that deems all old petrol station sites must be cleaned up before sale takes place.
    By all accounts the only place you can ship soil for clean up is germany and the cost is enormous. I'd like to know if that was true as I think this is one great site and will some to something good sometime.

from what I know that site, the bCock, the land beside that place near Mowlam and loads of land they own over in gracedieu and a lot more besides eg M&S centre in Clonmel all relate to these guys in some way and will probably give them a third class one way ticket into NAMA land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

So sad, It would have made a perfect BBQ joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

fishfindus wrote: »
    DKav has some sort of right of way alright via the gate, which is not cordoned off. Proabbly realted to the fact the road used to run round the back of the garage site (I remember a well was there on a bad bend).

the site was being bought by one of the people at BCock (a shocking Limerick solicitor - read about Bayworld on the courts.ie or independent.ie websites) and others. Not sure if it was actually bought though they did get planning for a development which you can see on Council's website. One of the rumours which makes sone sense is the sale collapsed as the site was contaminated - there is legislation that deems all old petrol station sites must be cleaned up before sale takes place.
    By all accounts the only place you can ship soil for clean up is germany and the cost is enormous. I'd like to know if that was true as I think this is one great site and will some to something good sometime.

from what I know that site, the bCock, the land beside that place near Mowlam and loads of land they own over in gracedieu and a lot more besides eg M&S centre in Clonmel all relate to these guys in some way and will probably give them a third class one way ticket into NAMA land!

It probably needs a clean up, but they used to sell food there so it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe development would disturb things and send petrol into ground water. They could make it into a flower shop like on the quay.

I know the bubble burst, but it still a good location for housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I heard a long time ago that Kavanaghs bought it and were going to build apartments there. At the time that made sense because I know for a fact they owned the house behind it that was knocked down
    the house burnt down ,planning for this project which included retail unit's,apartments and houses was refused on the grounds of over development of site,there was a record number of objection's lodged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement