Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling around Dublin 6

Options
  • 14-08-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

I cycle a lot, and I think that the roads of Dublin 6/ 6w must be the worst roads I have encountered on my bike in Dublin. They are completely patchwork, bumpy roads that look like something from a Banana Republic.

I think you notice the state of the local roads when driving, but on a bike you really see (and feel it...) close up. I bought a new bike about 2 months ago and already is is rattling and showing other effects of these roads with their potholes, bumps, poorly constructed cycle lanes, etc.

Why are our roads like this? It isn't like we don't spend enough money on roads as it is, is it just down to completely shoddy construction or the apathy of the council?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Apathy of the council is certainly a problem - we have bicycle lanes but they are not maintained. We also have a problem with people parking in bicycle lanes and I think the new type of bicycle lanes that are been offered of late i.e. the one ones which you share with buses are treacherous and a mere token. Ireland is not a safe place to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

the roads around d6 are unreal, especially considering just how many people cycle round here... ranelagh road is ok, the canal end anyway... the worst has got to be rathmines road with castlewood ave/charlston rd coming in a close second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the road outside harolds cross credit union was resurfaced about a year ago, sine then its turned into a lumpy cracked mess

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Chinasea wrote: »
    Ireland is not a safe place to cycle.

Ireland and Dublin are fine for cycling, as long as you know what you are doing. If you're new to cycling or continuing to feel unsafe on the roads it's likely you're not doing everything right.

First there's basic things like being able to look over your shoulder; being able to hand signal; never going inside a truck, bus or car which may be turning left; always leaving one meter between you and parked cars; keeping aware of what others are doing around you; and in bad light or at night always use a good set of bright lights (high-vis is not good enough).

Then one of the most important things, if not the most, is road positioning. For example, is many cyclists cycle way too close to the side of the road thinking this makes them safer -- but it often does the opposite tempting motorists to pass you too closely or where there is no room to pass. If you find your self often cycling on or right beside the double yellow lines or the kerb, you're cycling too close to the side of the road.

It may take a bit of courage to cycle out further and in some cases block cars or buses, but you'll be better off in the long run if you do so. You may have to ask your self: Which is more important, not annoying a few drivers or your safety?

Have a read of a book which teaches how to cycle on roads, such as Cyclecraft which is basked on the UK bicycle training standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres 3 local authorities responsible for various parts of 6/6w. Email the council with specific problems and they may do something, at least theyre aware of them anyway. The worst area I feel is the KCR heading up Wainsfort road, theres 3 big manholes that are really annoying, dead centre of the lane

• Advertisement
Advertisement