Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips MCD988 - no power to main unit!

• 14-08-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a Philips MCD-988 off ye guys last year..

It's not used too often but my Freesat is currently out of action (the cable was pulled out of dish in wind recently, and need to find myself a big ladder to re-attach it) so girlfriend has been watching DVD's on it the last week.

She called me upstairs last night to say that it's not working - thought it was probably a loose cable but after close examination last night / this morning. The AC Adapter plugs into the wall (from the subwoofer) and that's working fine (the red power switch is lit up). But there's a cable (I believe it's a 13-pin DIN cable, but I'm open to correction - see photo below) that obviously transfers power between the subwoofer and the main unit - and there's no power / lights / response from the main unit so either the main unit has "given up the ghost" or the cable is faulty (no sign of physical damage or deterioration in the connectors).

photoqs.jpg

Got an extended warranty on it for 5 years with ye guys (thankfully)!

Any idea what to do next? Would it simply be the cable.. I'm hoping so! As am dreading at the thought of having to pack the whole thing up (the boxes for it are long gone) - 1 subwoofer, 2 large long speakers and the main unit (as below):

philips-mcd988.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Basquille

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the system.

Your are hopefully correct in that it most likely is the cable.
    I'd say the best thing to do is pop the cable in the post and send it to me at:

Attn ASHLEY MILLER
    THE PHILIPS SHOP
    19/22 DAME STREET
    DUBLIN 2

Hold off posting it until I get back to you on Monday however, I'll have a chat with the Service Center firstly.

I'll let the lads in RSB know what I'm going to do so they stay in the loop

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OK Ashley.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'd say that model's been discontinued (but correct me if I'm wrong) so a replacement main unit would probably not be feasible.

Will wait to hear from you on Monday before I post.

Thanks again!

Hi Basq'

OK I can have this cable replaced for you under warranty no problems
    if I could ask you to send the your faulty cable for my attention (Ashley) to
    The Philips Shop
    19/22 Dame Street
    Dublin 2

Please can you also enclose your units serial number as well

I'll forward it onto the service center and send the replacement cable to you once I receive it.

Hope this suits you OK

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Ash,

I've the cable all wrapped up and ready to go (and in work with me today) so it is OK if I send you the cable in the post today, and PM you the serial number of the unit when I get home this evening.

fire away!
    No worries
    Ash

Hi Basq

Received this am.
    Sent off to service center.
    Once I have replacement cable back, I'll let you know and send it over to you.

atb
    Ash

Much appreciated Ash.

Thanks for keeping me updated.

Ash,

Any update on how my cable fared with the service center?

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey basquille,

Ash is back in the AM. I'll get him to respond to you first thing. Sorry I have no details myself.

Thanks a mil, Nicola.

No rush Nicola.

Hi Basq

Your replacement cable arrived in today.
    I'll have it posted out to you today as well.

I'm afraid I cant test it out for you as none of our current systems use this type of cable, but as it came direct from the Service Center I have no doubt it works grand!

Hope this gets you back up and running

ATB
    Ash

Thanks Ash.

Will let you know when I recieve it and how it fares out.

Hi Basq

You should have that through your letter box Monday.

Hope you dont have an eager dog that collect the posts from your doorstep and delivers it to you at the breakfast table! if so beat him to the mail man (maybe that's just a cartoon cliche though....)

Cheers
    Ash

Hope you dont have an eager dog that collect the posts from your doorstep and delivers it to you at the breakfast table! if so beat him to the mail man (maybe that's just a cartoon cliche though....)
    Funny you mention that Ash.

It's not a cliche - I've a miniature Yorkshire Terrier (see below) that's mad for chewing up the post.. but I'll make sure he's under lock-and-key on Monday morning!

58121161150847105194297.jpg

Thanks again.

that's put a smile in my face:D
    excellent!
    have a good weekend
    Ash

Hi Basq

Did the part arrive in the post?
    Did you get before the dog mauled it?
    Does the system now work?

atb
    Ash

Not yet AFAIK.

Sent you a PM to confirm the address you sent it to.

Am presuming you sent it to my parent's house (no fear of a dog there) as it's the one on file for RicherSounds.

Hi Basq

Saw pm and responded

atb
    Ash

Not sure if Ash is around these days (or more likely, he's fairly busy).

Sent him a PM last week asking him to get someone from RS to give me a shout as my MCD988 is faulty (the cable Ash sent unfortuntely didn't fix it).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Basq,

Give the Philip's Shop a ring to make sure this thread doesn't slip under the radar....

Cheers,

Ritz.

Gave RicherSounds in Belfast a call when The Ritz suggested it above.

Told them I was in Sligo and that I didn't know when I'd be in a position to drop the MCD988 into the Dublin or Belfast stores and was there any chance they could collect it? Was told they don't generally do it.

Popped John a PM asking was there anything he could do a few weeks back about it but didn't hear back.

If it can't be collected by RS, it's understandable but 2 questions:

a) do they have a courier they can recommend? Cheap and cheerful if possibly as I've already forked out for the warranty! :)
    b) do I need to send the whole setup or just the main unit? I'm guessing the latter but just to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Basquille

Normally we don't collect faulty units unless they are 32" TV's and above that are covered by our 5 year cover as these are difficult to return.

I've sent you a PM with a few questions on it so if you can answer them, I'll work something out that will take some of the hassle out of it.

Cheers

Dave

Replied Dave..

I don't mind sending it to be honest. Just wanted those few questions addressed before I could.

Much appreciated!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.