Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting feral cat/kitten

Options
  • 14-08-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

There are two cats, one a kitten and one a cat, who we've been feeding for the last month and a half or so - with the intention of adopting them. Initially they wouldn't go near food until we went back into the house but over the last 6 weeks or so they have become more confident - now they will eat from a food bowl when we are quite close but their confidence seems to have plateaued over the last few weeks. We've tried to stroke them - without success - they shy away and stay maybe 5 feet or so away until we retreat.

I think there are probably feral (rather than abandoned) cats. Is it feasible to adopt cats like these and has anyone who has done it any tips on how to proceed. Also after being adopted and spayed/neutered will these cats behave in the same way as a cat reared domestically or will they always have a "wild" temperament?

Okedoke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Absolutely but you will need to get them spayed or neutered or you will
    end up with alot more cats. We have a wild cat living in our back yard. We did have two other female wild cats but we had to rehome them as every cycle there would be six or seven tomcats hanging around to the annoyance of neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've adopted two feral cats from the lovely Laura in Dublin. They arrived on March and were hissing n spitting bundles of fur. Now they are in and out of the house, sit on your lap, like being petted and it's lovely to see how tame they have become.

I did not push myself onto them but rather let them come in their own time and it was a great feeling when Ivan decided to smooch around my legs for the first time and Morris followed a week later.

Anyone can have a tame cat, it takes a special person to look after the feral ones, so well done OP and of course, well done, Missus Laura :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I agree with EGAR 100%, cats take their own sweet time getting to a relaxed state around people and it can take a long time as my OH can attest to, it took one of our rescues about 4.5yrs before he would curl up beside him and go asleep :D
    Time and patience is paramount but I do agree with Bullseye1 about getting them neutered/spayed asap, it'll help and best of luck.

Advertisement