Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rise of the MAMILS

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Doesn't sound like anyone here :rolleyes: (I'm too young and living at home before you point at me).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BBC wrote:
    ...middle-aged men choosing to get on two wheels. Given the number of men aged 35-44...

Whoa there. 35 is not middle-aged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lumen wrote: »
    Whoa there. 35 is not middle-aged.

How old are you? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Very similar to an article that appeared in the Gaurdian last week.

How old are you? :D

In hex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We hit the first hill and suddenly we're a puffing, panting, heaving mass of sweaty humanity that is well past its sell-by-date. Sounds humiliating? I've never had so much fun in my life

I don't like the BBC using descriptions of me to describe men many years my senior, can you have a 1/3 life crisis?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In hex.

Go on, we all know you're really 44
    In Octal ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Given the number of men aged 35-44 who are buying fancy-pants road racing machines, is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis?

45 years young and bought a hybrid. Narrow escape there, I'd hate to be labelled so easily. And FWIW the missus loves lycra....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

...is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis?
    Crisis? What crisis?* Besides, you can only tell when a person was actually middle-aged after they are dead. (age at death/2). I'd certainly be regarded as middle-aged by any societal definition, but I could live to 120!

*I"ll give you the grumpiness, but that's just because nothin's like what it used to be in my day. I know this is off-topic, but could someone please do something about all them TV channels, we shouldn't have any more than 5. And coffee? Don't get me started on coffee. Just black, please.

rughdh wrote: »
    And coffee? Don't get me started on coffee. Just black, please.

I know. I have to ask for an "Americano" now. That's just demeaning.

And walkmans. Why must people render themselves deaf and dumb? It's such a barrier to basic civility. No more "good morning Miss Kelly, how are you today?". She's plugged in to Spice Girls or whatever they listen to now on the popular music charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    45 years young and bought a hybrid. Narrow escape there, I'd hate to be labelled so easily. And FWIW the missus loves lycra....

You'd think wouldn't you?

2 years ago I bought a hybrid at about 4x years young. Runners, jeans and high-vis top.

It has transmogrified itself into a road bike with aerobars and proper clip-in pedals and nearly no mudguards and I'm now gorgeously clad in lycra from neck to knee.

There's no escape...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'm 35, own a motorbike and a flashy carbon/alu road bike as well as some Assos gear. Phew that's my mid life crisis done now I can get on with cycling please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Don't tell me this is my mid-life crisis. I was so looking forward to the cocaine and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Don't tell me this is my mid-life crisis. I was so looking forward to the cocaine and hookers.

Tried that. Hookers drew the line at wearing full team kit. Coke kept blowing of the hoods during descents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Feel sorry for Boonen to have hit it in his 20's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I know. I have to ask for an "Americano" now. That's just demeaning.

And walkmans:eek:. Why must people render themselves deaf and dumb? It's such a barrier to basic civility. No more "good morning Miss Kelly, how are you today?". She's plugged in to Spice Girls or whatever they listen to now on the popular music charts.

Your showing your age there Youngman. Those things had a cassette tape (which for those young people was a plastic yoke with a tape in it and when put in a Walkman it actually made music:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Esroh wrote: »
    Your showing your age there Youngman. Those things had a cassette tape (which for those young people was a plastic yoke with a tape in it and when put in a Walkman it actually made music:D)

Do you mean a portable gramophone?

1930portablegramophone.jpg

Handy for your next Tweed Ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

joe duffy discussing this today on liveline apparently
    looks like i was talking b*****ks (sorry thats what happens withsecond hand info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I wouldn't pay too much heed to the reporter.....pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQWFte_xQzHcXc4qycAeuE8QAAAAl2gefOvjoLMSYgrek1FIV6

Just another journalist too lazy to find something good to report so goes for the cheap laughs, trying to make news rather than report it.

While the article is very tongue in cheek I always think its funny that we get bombarded with messages like 'don't be fat, get healthy or you'll die screaming before your 40' and as soon as people try and do something which doesn't involve kicking a ball into a net they are targets for cheap laughs... it bores me tbh.

My age? 21+ v.a.t.

Advertisement