Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People targeted for abuse because of Jersey's

• 14-08-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

First of all I'm putting my mod hat on and saying that if this desends into another Kilkenny/Waterford bashing thread I'm gonna lock it.

Now, I'm going to set my stall out early and say that I'm not a fan of hurling or GAA n general I watch pretty much any games that are on at the weekend be it football or Hurlng but that's about as far as I'd go seeing as I watch any sport. Having said that I love to see Waterford win.

Now, I have a gripe over something that I have noticed in recent times that worries me and that is a scumbag element and their reaction to seeing people in Kilkenny Jerseys around town. I was standing in town with one of the lads in one this week and a car slowed down and some chap decided to shout various insults at him I also saw someone givng hassle to a kid in city square on a day that Kilkenny were playing IIRC. Finally, I'm sure some people are aware of the story of a Players Girlfriend beating the living **** out of another girl in Muldoons a few years ago for again wearing a Kilkenny Jersey (DO NOT name names).

This type of thing sickens me TBH and is something I'd more think or happening in somewhere like London with football Jerseys. Maybe it's fair to say that things like this are everywhere and scum like looking for any excuse but it's still awfull to see and I'm sure if witnessed by a tourist wouldn't give a good impression of the City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Well considering the example one of our star players set a couple of years back when he assulted a member of the public in the pulpet bar over a game of pool what do you exspect.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I wouldn't consider this a GAA thing, just a general scumbag thing. I bet the people in the car never togged out in their life. If Ireland were playing Greece in soccer and someone were wearing a Greek jersey you might get some scumbag doing something similar.

As with other sports you have the real fans, and the hangers on. I was shocked at how little attention was given by the media to the attack on the referee by Louth fans. In my view they should be banned for life from GAA matches.

That said, I remember taking the special train home from the final in 2008. About half the people were Kilkenny, half Waterford. Everyone was mixed together on the train, people sharing drinks and so on, talking to friends from the other county. To me thats what the GAA is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

In fairness a lot of kilkenny people come into the town trying to delibertly antagonise us so there are 2 sides to every story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I feel that the sort of lowlife who'd assault someone over the colour of their jersey is the same lowlife who'd likely to be looking for hassle anyway, probably knows little about 'their team' and goes through life feeling that the world owes them something.

A simplistic view mayhap but I see it as akin to the lowlife in the celtic jersey who'd be unable to name the players on the his/her team yet gives Celtic fans a bad name.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about GAA or soccer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno,

I mean my mate wore his Jersey traveling back from Vegas and was just dropping me off in town so there was no element of looking for it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I can remember a time when our car was pelted with rocks going through Thomastown on the way home from a match. Scumbags are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I have to say ive never seen it,after the 08 final i was in town and it was still a good craic with all the kk supporters,although in saying that ive seen people with English jerseys getting a lot of abuse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I must admit i was too jet lagged when i dropped you off ziedth to anymore than notice.

I do remember though when we watched the champions league final in a certain pub in town when united beat chelsea.

I was wearing my KK jersey again and it was May (before the hurling gets serious) and I was threatened by 3 scumbags sitting behind me that it was dangerous wearing a KK jersey in waterford and that I should "be careful"

I felt genuinely intimidated as they were big lads and i didnt even dare go for a piss during the match.

Now thats completely uncalled for as I wasnt trying to antagonise anyone (if i was id have worn my united jersey)

That said though when KK play Waterford there is usually a mix of supporters in my local in Slieverue and I dont think there's ever hassle.

But as noted above there are scumbags in KK just as much as Waterford.

Its pathetic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i remember a lad up in Dublin in a pub minding his own business talking to his girlfriend before the game two years ago when he got a glass in the face from some Kilkenny lad. he'd to be taken away by ambulance and spent the night in hospital.

I haven't noticed it in other places as I try not to leave the safety of my village :) but I'm sure it is all over but I do remember that match lassykk and they were top grade scum.

I love a bit of light hearted banter (like the painted cliff) but things like this really annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Good posts lads, I think we have kind of buried our heads in the sand when it comes to the GAA, personally Im not a big fan of it, it encourages a parochial attitude even more in Irish society. This i feel is bad news as all of us in Waterford and the south east should be working with eachother for the betterment of the region instead a begrudging attitude exists.

Let face it, if football fans invade a pitch in Wembley or Manchester, they are hooligans, I think those who invade Croke Park at the end of every game or also hooligans.

The GAAs behaviour towards its players, their welfare and payment has been disgraceful.

The GAAs dragging of their feet to open up Croke Park to 'English' not foreign sports was pathetic, they did do it eventually when pressure was put on from the media and politicians, after all, we the tax payer paid for most of Croke parks redevelopment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ziedth wrote: »
    First of all I'm putting my mod hat on and saying that if this desends into another Kilkenny/Waterford bashing thread I'm gonna lock it.

Now, I'm going to set my stall out early and say that I'm not a fan of hurling or GAA n general I watch pretty much any games that are on at the weekend be it football or Hurlng but that's about as far as I'd go seeing as I watch any sport. Having said that I love to see Waterford win.

Now, I have a gripe over something that I have noticed in recent times that worries me and that is a scumbag element and their reaction to seeing people in Kilkenny Jerseys around town. I was standing in town with one of the lads in one this week and a car slowed down and some chap decided to shout various insults at him I also saw someone givng hassle to a kid in city square on a day that Kilkenny were playing IIRC. Finally, I'm sure some people are aware of the story of a Players Girlfriend beating the living **** out of another girl in Muldoons a few years ago for again wearing a Kilkenny Jersey (DO NOT name names).

This type of thing sickens me TBH and is something I'd more think or happening in somewhere like London with football Jerseys. Maybe it's fair to say that things like this are everywhere and scum like looking for any excuse but it's still awfull to see and I'm sure if witnessed by a tourist wouldn't give a good impression of the City.

This is an awful post, its falling into a reactionary trap that happens so often. Namely tarring a group of people with a brush simply due to an isolated incident. Firstly what happened to your mate was wrong, no doubt about that, but the unfortunate fact is that there are assholes everywhere, and they will look for an excuse to be assholes to others, the jersey thing is just an excuse to them. I'm sure we all have heard tales of some chap with long hair getting hassle just for having long hair...does this bring threads with the 'bad side of long hair'? Nope, it just means the people giving the hassle are assholes

Your mentioning of 'we've all heard the story of the players gf...' is poor form and is baiting for a reaction. Why mention speculation? It just gives license for more idle speculation. It just tries to polorise whatever debate the thread might generate. You state earlier in your post that you dont have much time for GAA in general and your mention of the 'story' of the players gf only serves to show that you think the issue here is with GAA people rather than the assholes who did that to your mate.

And if it descends into a GAA bashing thread? I can only assume by the tone and direction of your opening post you will be quite happy with a good old GAA bash on here. Seems like you will get your wish anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I was on holiday in Crete in 2004 watching Kilkenny playing Waterford wearing my colours and got the biggesr abuse I ever got off Kilkenny so called supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Pure GAA bashing.
    Max Powers wrote: »
    Good posts lads, I think we have kind of buried our heads in the sand when it comes to the GAA, personally Im not a big fan of it, it encourages a parochial attitude even more in Irish society. This i feel is bad news as all of us in Waterford and the south east should be working with eachother for the betterment of the region instead a begrudging attitude exists.
    Any club based sport does this. You have Waterford United soccer team. It helps instil some pride in the local community. A community identity is essential for such things as tidy town competitions in Ardmore or Lismore. It hasn't prevented the South East from cooperating in securing 24hr Search and Rescue, lobbying for a university, or for the Rosslare railway.
    Let face it, if football fans invade a pitch in Wembley or Manchester, they are hooligans, I think those who invade Croke Park at the end of every game or also hooligans.
    They aren't hooligans. Pitch invasions aren't safe, but GAA fans do not have the reputation or history of English soccer fans. If rugby fans had a pitch invasion after a match I doubt anyone would consider it hooliganism either.
    The GAAs behaviour towards its players, their welfare and payment has been disgraceful.
    Its an amateur organisation with people who play for the love of the game and the honour of representing their county. They play because they want to, not because the are forced to. And you find it disgraceful they aren't paid? How much would tickets be if they were paid?
    The GAAs dragging of their feet to open up Croke Park to 'English' not foreign sports was pathetic, they did do it eventually when pressure was put on from the media and politicians, after all, we the tax payer paid for most of Croke parks redevelopment.
    The GAA pays a lot in tax (through VAT and so on). Its their stadium, they can chose what to do with it. Some money was given by the government, but not the majority. How much do you think the land alone would cost?

Overall the issue in the OP is not a GAA issue, or even a sport issue. Its purely a scumbag issue. Sport helps reduce scumbaggism by giving people something to do, giving them a chance to be part of a team, and giving the pride in their local area. Its can't eliminate scumbaggism, but as already said, those scumbags were as likely to start up if someone has long hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Its foolish to think that Hurling or any sport is responciple for this kind of scumbaggery, it would happen anyway, there is no reason to assume that Hurling causes this to happen.:rolleyes:

Would this not be better placed in the GAA forum?
    (Doubt it would last long there doh):pac:

Sweet Jesus,

I NEVER said that hurling caused this (I even said in my OP) I was simply drawing attention to it for a bit of discussion.

I NEVER even mentioned the GAA as an organisation I was refering to GAA as a sport. as it happens I'm 100% fine with them since the whole soccer in crome park thing was put to bed.

As Daysha mentioned it's not even a go at hurling just mentioning my observation that it seems to be an easy way for said scumbags to have a go.

Re GAA Bashing: we have a slight problem here at times with the Kilkenny waterford devide and it throws threads off topic and causes hassle. The story of the GF is well known around and I simpy brought it up because it involved a jersey.

I had no intension at all if bringing the GAA into it.

Sweet Jesus,

I NEVER said that hurling caused this (I even said in my OP) I was simply drawing attention to it for a bit of discussion.

I NEVER even mentioned the GAA as an organisation I was refering to GAA as a sport. as it happens I'm 100% fine with them since the whole soccer in crome park thing was put to bed.

As Daysha mentioned it's not even a go at hurling just mentioning my observation that it seems to be an easy way for said scumbags to have a go.

Re GAA Bashing: we have a slight problem here at times with the Kilkenny waterford devide and it throws threads off topic and causes hassle. The story of the GF is well known around and I simpy brought it up because it involved a jersey.

I had no intension at all if bringing the GAA into it.

Your thread title states the bad side of Hurling. Not the bad side of people who act like assholes or anything similar, it along with the content of the post gives off the impression that its GAA people who commit these acts. The fact that you drag in a STORY about a players gf (even though the charter of this very forum states 'please dont...fuel speculation') only serves to further give the impression that this sort of behaviour is only down to GAA people.

Its a slanted topic that is anti-GAA at best, and at worst will just lead to a thread full of GAA-bashing instigated by a forum mod.

I disagree regarding the thread as the vast majority of posters here can senseible discussion,

It was not my intension to single out GAA people or in anyway be anti-GAA at all and there is no speculation I just mentioned a well known story (that I witnessed the after effects of) I didn't mention any names or even a time only that a hurlers girlfriend was involved.

"Bad side of hurling" came to the top of my head if you would be kind enough to suggest a title that doesn't offend you but ties in with the OP I'll happily change it.

Now, this discussion is derailing the thread so any further problems drop me a PM and we can discuss it further.

I disagree regarding the thread as the vast majority of posters here can senseible discussion,

It was not my intension to single out GAA people or in anyway be anti-GAA at all and there is no speculation I just mentioned a well known story (that I witnessed the after effects of) I didn't mention any names or even a time only that a hurlers girlfriend was involved.

"Bad side of hurling" came to the top of my head if you would be kind enough to suggest a title that doesn't offend you but ties in with the OP I'll happily change it.

Now, this discussion is derailing the thread so any further problems drop me a PM and we can discuss it further.

How is it derailing the thread?

I am discussing the OP which you posted?

EDIT - as for a thread title. The bad side of people would suffice.

• Advertisement

How about ''Scumbags targeting GAA fans''.

May not have been intentional but the OP dose come off as anti-gaa imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Having stones and abuse thrown at my family coming through Thomastown and Mullinavat gives Kilkenny supporters a bad name. This was done by adults not children thinking it's fun.

Walking round Cork most people gave positive cheers when they saw my husband and children wearing their Waterford jerseys but they did encounter a nasty comment from an asshole.

Unfortunately you'll get scumbags everywhere that run it for the rest and not just in sport either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wow you leave a thread a while and it explodes!!!

Im shocked by the strong reaction against ziedth (albeit by one person)

I do appreciate that the thread title may not be perfect but the i feel the sentiment in the thread is genuine and that scumbags are using GAA allegences as a front for threatening and hassling people.

This is not him having a go at the GAA but merely highlighting a worrying trend.

If this was a thread called the bad side of soccer and talked about someone in waterford getting hassle for wearing an england jersey there wouldnt b such an angry reaction i imagine

I would personally be more concerned about protecting people against scumbags than having a go at someone highlighting the problem

the fact that someone like "ziedth" can become mod on this site is worrying and shows that someone higher up the chain within boards.ie dropped the ball big time...

See it's obviously not limited to a town or sport. In point of fact not far off 20 years ago a cousin of mine who now can't button his own shirt because he got hit from behind by a Newcastle fan for (of all things) wearing a Aberdeen jersey. So it is a particular sore point TBH!

I'm one who thinks that just because these things are common doesn't mean we should accept them. It's prob the tolerance of scumbags in general that really grinds my gears and if gives a very bad impression of the many many decent GAA fans who obviously from this thread are quick to jump to their defence.

the fact that someone like "ziedth" can become mod on this site is worrying and shows that someone higher up the chain within boards.ie dropped the ball big time...

Care to explain why?

Edit: Title changed to what I hope pleases everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's uncalled for, no need to get personal.

your a moderator, of which comes certain responsibility to be fair and impartial so your anti GAA rant which to me looks like it stems from an unfortunate incident involving a family member is wrong and to simply create controversy for the sake of it is wrong.

He may have come of as anti-gaa in the op, but I dont think it was intentional, steps have been taken to rectify the situation, thats good enough for me. There was no need to get personal.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I take issue with this. I was debating the post, and not the poster.

Poor comment and unfair to ziedth.

Advertisement