Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People targeted for abuse because of Jersey's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ziedth wrote: »
    See it's obviously not limited to a town or sport. In point of fact not far off 20 years ago a cousin of mine who now can't button his own shirt because he got hit from behind by a Newcastle fan for (of all things) wearing a Aberdeen jersey. So it is a particular sore point TBH!

I'm one who thinks that just because these things are common doesn't mean we should accept them. It's prob the tolerance of scumbags in general that really grinds my gears and if gives a very bad impression of the many many decent GAA fans who obviously from this thread are quick to jump to their defence.

Fair enough. I just felt that your openingpost and thread title was more anti-GAA people than anti scumbag people, and thats what I was pointing out. I'll accept it wasnt intentional on your behalf though.

You've taken it on board and changed the title which to be fair paints a more accurate picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

your a moderator, of which comes certain responsibility to be fair and impartial so your anti GAA rant which to me looks like it stems from an unfortunate incident involving a family member is wrong and to simply create controversy for the sake of it is wrong.

First of all, no i don't have to be impartial about anything. I hate two and a half men the TV show I also think David Beckham has built up a reputation of being a world class footballer based on the 98/99 season. See it's not hard to have an opinion, what I have to do as moderator is make sure the Waterford fourm runs smoothly which I think we do well.

Second, I have stated twice there was no anti-GAA message in my OP I was raising a discussion on something that was bothering me within the city.

Third, any other problems with me as a mod feel free to contact a CMOD, do not throw off another thread. It was at best uncalled for to mention it here.

Fourh, I'm on the mobile site so I'm very interested to see who thanked your post.

That's fine Kev,

We'll chalk it down to a miscommunication and move on. I'd reword the OP but I see little point at this stage.

Back OT:

Funnily enough I remember getting hassle for wearing a spurs jersey on way to college once but it was only from teenagers so I doubt there was anything bad behind it but given the thread so far I said I'd mention it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm sure a lot of people have had the same reaction but couldn't be bothered to raise it as it was a mod of the forum that started the thread. Imo it is a very thinly veiled attempt to blame a sport for the actions of a few scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I can remember a time when our car was pelted with rocks going through Thomastown on the way home from a match. Scumbags are everywhere.

Same here , but in Graignamanagh - Not scumbags though , -10/12 year olds .

Damaged my roof with a stone ......only happens when Kilkenny lose ( which is not too often )

When KK win , they just wave flags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There are idiots in this world and there are nice people. That's just the way it is. (by the way, by suggesting that ziedith was a poor choice for mod based on this thread, or anything else he's ever said for that matter...you belong in that first group there.)

It's GAA for ffs...all it shows is that people really don't need any major excuse to start a fight anymore...

It's a jersey...tomorrow he could be wearing a munster jersey,,or an Ireland jersey...or maybe a man utd jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I remember coming through Mooncoin after Waterford beat Kilkenny in the National League final a couple of years ago and the cars being pelted with stones - those incidents even made the radio and newspapers.

Slightly off topic I also had an incident at the roundabout by Walsh park when a oul lad (wearing a Waterford jersey) in a jeep tore out of the gate without stopping. I nearly ploughed into the side of him. Naturally enough I blew the horn at him- well if I did yer man got out and threatened to beat the crap out of me. That put me off supporting the Deise for a while:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

ziedth wrote: »
    First of all, no i don't have to be impartial about anything. I hate two and a half men the TV show I also think David Beckham has built up a reputation of being a world class footballer based on the 98/99 season. See it's not hard to have an opinion, what I have to do as moderator is make sure the Waterford fourm runs smoothly which I think we do well.

Second, I have stated twice there was no anti-GAA message in my OP I was raising a discussion on something that was bothering me within the city.

Third, any other problems with me as a mod feel free to contact a CMOD, do not throw off another thread. It was at best uncalled for to mention it here.

Fourh, I'm on the mobile site so I'm very interested to see who thanked your post.

I did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Personally cannot see anything wrong with the OP, A poster seen what he proceeded as a worrying trend and started a thread to air and discuss it. The fact that its GAA jerseys and more important Kilkenny jerseys has set a few pulses racing .which has lead to people misreading or misinterpreting the aim / object of the OP.
    IMO.
    My own view is scumbags will be scumbags no matter what ,. The use of sporting jerseys is only an excuse ,a starting point , if you weren't wearing one they will find something else that's offensive to them . Also no Club ,County or Organisation can / or should be held responsible for its members/fans attitudes or actions ,

As for this...
    your a moderator, of which comes certain responsibility to be fair and impartial so your anti GAA rant which to me looks like it stems from an unfortunate incident involving a family member is wrong and to simply create controversy for the sake of it is wrong.

Totally out of line IMO...
    Everybody ,even Mods are entitled to air and debate their views and opinions .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Oh give over. He is as entitled to air his views just as you and I are. Perhaps you should not come here if you are unhappy with how the site is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I remember coming through Mooncoin after Waterford beat Kilkenny in the National League final a couple of years ago and the cars being pelted with stones - those incidents even made the radio and newspapers.

Slightly off topic I also had an incident at the roundabout by Walsh park when a oul lad (wearing a Waterford jersey) in a jeep tore out of the gate without stopping. I nearly ploughed into the side of him. Naturally enough I blew the horn at him- well if I did yer man got out and threatened to beat the crap out of me. That put me off supporting the Deise for a while:mad:

That happened us too in Thomastown with eggs. I cant stand any form of bog games so we had no jerseys on us but happened to have a "W" reg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

CalvinHobbsCalmDown.jpg

I've only ever seen this happening with county jerseys. When it comes to premiership football teams and the like, it seems to be just harmless ribbing and taking the piss. Been to plenty of county colours nights out where no harm comes to anyone. Not even an argument. But when you add in someone feeling bitter about a loss or getting hassled by a group of drunk eejits, things always escalate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

CalvinHobbsCalmDown.jpg

I've only ever seen this happening with county jerseys. When it comes to premiership football teams and the like, it seems to be just harmless ribbing and taking the piss. Been to plenty of county colours nights out where no harm comes to anyone. Not even an argument. But when you add in someone feeling bitter about a loss or getting hassled by a group of drunk eejits, things always escalate.

Is that a picture of a cat (that is normally black and amber)? Very biased of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gaulsmillls

Just thought i'd throw this in...recently bought a new cooker from kelly& dollard or whatever its called these days...anyhoo went in to arrange delivery etc. with my 3 yr old son and 1yr old daughter. Little dude had his kilkenny jersey on, no thought put in, he had it on since he got up that morning...whilst waiting to speak with someone in there , there was an older couple ahead of me...late 60's....herself tutting from minute we landed..so out she comes with it"hhmmm hhmmm supports kilkenny does he now??"... had to bring the husband upstairs, he was livid...whilst i realise this is not abuse as such...the idiot in question was speaking to a 3yr old...is this really what its coming to?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

These days you see a lot of kids with England tops on as well - only yesterday outside Centra in Johns Park for example - dont know if he was local or on holidays - the lads he was with who were all Irish didnt seem to mind and rightly so. Dont know what kind of reaction they'd get in town tho'- but if people are reacting to other county GAA tops I can only imagine what it would be.

I often wondered what the reaction would be if someone walked around town in a Rangers top.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I was out woodstown last week and got a bit of stick for wearing kk jersey. Two scummers walking past me, one of em says "brave man wearing that here", his mate then adds "either brave or stupid". this was at 2 o clock in the day on the beach and I was havin a kick about with my 10year old nephew at the time.

I doubt these lads are really GAA fans at all tbh but there are knackers like them all over the country unfortunately who take a dislike to anything that is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

gobo99 wrote: »
    I was out woodstown last week and got a bit of stick for wearing kk jersey. Two scummers walking past me, one of em says "brave man wearing that here", his mate then adds "either brave or stupid". this was at 2 o clock in the day on the beach and I was havin a kick about with my 10year old nephew at the time.

I doubt these lads are really GAA fans at all tbh but there are knackers like them all over the country unfortunately who take a dislike to anything that is different.

Just another in a long list of reasons for them to act the big tough a**hole.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

gobo99 wrote: »

The same guys would have took issue with you playing soccer, a foreign game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Here's my two cents,
    First off I'm from Kilkenny but work in Waterford, I've been down here years with college etc so I've heard alot of Waterford V Kilkenny stuff.

Frankly I've never understood it, anyone I ever knew in Kilkenny City & County has always had a rivalry between Tipp & Kilkenny and I only ever heard of anything when I came down to Waterford and got the usual "your from Kilkenny eh?", “taking our jobs” etc. :rolleyes:

My own view its it's all a bit pointless and it really sounds like a broken record, however I've never had hassle in Waterford as in threats over the years but then I don't wear jerseys as I can't be arsed.

I do however drive a W reg car so I've always been wary of this when it comes to final's and Waterford & Kilkenny have been involved, it seems though looking back that I didn't need to be.

Not sure which match but a few years back it was Waterford V Kilkenny, on that day I happened to be visiting somewhere up the county in Kilkenny and I had to drive back through Inistioge and Thomastown etc.

I had no problems what so ever, loads of people out both grown-ups and kids were out waving flags and as I passed my wife and myself gave a good wave and beeped the horn. I’ve never had abuse or stuff thrown at me in either county

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AdMMM wrote: »
    The same guys would have took issue with you playing soccer, a foreign game.

Doubt it,. you'd likely find they support a english football team.
    :rolleyes:

Just thought i'd throw this in...recently bought a new cooker from kelly& dollard or whatever its called these days...anyhoo went in to arrange delivery etc. with my 3 yr old son and 1yr old daughter. Little dude had his kilkenny jersey on, no thought put in, he had it on since he got up that morning...whilst waiting to speak with someone in there , there was an older couple ahead of me...late 60's....herself tutting from minute we landed..so out she comes with it"hhmmm hhmmm supports kilkenny does he now??"... had to bring the husband upstairs, he was livid...whilst i realise this is not abuse as such...the idiot in question was speaking to a 3yr old...is this really what its coming to?? :confused:

I do hope that couple in there 60';s bought something in kelly& dollard as its owned by a lad from Kilkenny, oh the irony :pac:

I would have thought people at 60 years of age would have abit of cop on instead of commenting on a 3 year old like that :(

I think Jimbojazz has raised an interesting point there. If I were to walk around town in a arsenal/Liverpool jersey I doubt very much anyone would say anything but walk around in a rangers one and I'm sure i'd get a boat load of abuse.

It sickens me tbh, maybe it's a case of extreme "rivalry" that sets people off. England, Kilkenny and Rangers have been seen as the sporting enemy to all of his but these tossers take it that step to far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

It's not a new thing either lads - our WD reg'd car got stoned going thru Mullinavegas back in 98 when we lost the Semi Final to Kilkenny by a point. However, I'm marrying a girl from Thomastown and whenever I go up there for hurling or anything like that, there's great crack, banter and an honest discussion on hurling, I think the closer you get to the border areas of the counties the more feverish the devotion gets.

See the thing is that now people down here will shut up about it and get on with life. Up in kilkenny they will blab on about hurling until it starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Ya get people from both sides giving abused of the jersey wearing some of it friendly some not

Remember both my brother and I got the same abuse off different people for wearing KK stuff into work the year of the 2008 final, I mean the waterford people were wearing there jersey and flags and what not , why shouldnt we... anyways got the whole " stupid KK people coming over the bridge and robbing our jobs" ... wasnt intentionally trying to wind people up by wearing it , just supporting our team

Yesterday my Dad was wearing his KK jersey... again wasnt to wind people up, he used play for KK and always wears the jersey... some dude started shaking his fist at him and giving him the fingers...

such a joke imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

wellboy76 wrote: »
    See the thing is that now people down here will shut up about it and get on with life. Up in kilkenny they will blab on about hurling until it starts again.
    and why should they shut up... its something we're good at so lets embrace it. If we get beat in the all ireland i really doubt we will start leaving at half time like a lots of supporters do , we support the team regardless of the outcome

wellboy76 wrote: »

Didn't realise that wide sweepibng statements applied to all were all the craze right now, like Waterford not everybody gives a crap about hurling in Kilkenny.

When it comes to talking about it, well even though I couldn't give a monkeys I figure if they are good at it then why shouldn't they talk about it?

Its the biggest hurling thing of the year and its been won a number of times, if this was the biggest football thing and Ireland won you'd hardly condem Irish people for talking about that...would you? :pac:

Couldnt give a monkeys about hurling thats all. But you'd swear the way some people go on about it, that it was more important than oxygen!:D

Oh and please people, when talking about the GAA, please use your own accent and not the put on bogger one ffs!!!:P

• Advertisement

I'm surprised it took as long as 4 pages to creep in:

Lads, this is not about hurling fans, teams or anything like that. Kilkenny hurling was my personal experience in the OP. My two cent is if they are happy to blow on about hurling good for them.

I'd appreciate if this thread didn't get dragged down the usual route.

So, please keep it on topic.

Advertisement