Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People targeted for abuse because of Jersey's

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Where do you draw the line between harmless slagging & abuse?

One fella said that someone saying to him in Woodstown about a KK jersey "you're brave wearing that down around here" was abuse ..... unless the tone was very threatening I'd regard that as slagging!

I've never been abused or given abuse to anyone about their jersey ... plenty of slagging! & isn't it great that people are coming across the border from Tipp & KK wearing their jerseys & buying stuff in our lovely shops & restauraunts & enjoyng our lovely culture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Yea it is nice and you make a good point,

but the lads who posted above obviously didn't like it even if it was harmless slagging (saying your brave to be wearing that here can be either friendly or threatening given context so it's hard to tell). I wouldn't go back shopping in say Carrick if I went over there in a Waterford Jersey and anything was said.

Although, the two events involving lassykk that were mentioned was bottomline scumbaggery and if anyone said anything to my kid who was 3 years old be it harmless or otherwise I'd be fit to be tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

comeraghs wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line between harmless slagging & abuse?

One fella said that someone saying to him in Woodstown about a KK jersey "you're brave wearing that down around here" was abuse ..... unless the tone was very threatening I'd regard that as slagging!

I've never been abused or given abuse to anyone about their jersey ... plenty of slagging! & isn't it great that people are coming across the border from Tipp & KK wearing their jerseys & buying stuff in our lovely shops & restauraunts & enjoyng our lovely culture!

Ah there is definitely a line... I've been slagged loads of times for wearing a Kilkenny jersey (especially when I worked in Centra on the quay and wore it behind the counter) That's completely harmless and to be honest I used to enjoy the banter with the customers (one of the owners is from KK or else I wouldn't have got away with wearing it)

But I have only been threatened and felt unsafe once and that was in the bar in ballybricken which I alluded to earlier in this thread during a soccer match.

But perhaps one person's slagging could be threatening to someone else? I'm not sure!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I wore a Yankees polo while walking through Logan Airport (Boston) the day after the Yankees had beaten the Red Sox, and all I copped was a few stares. I had no idea they'd even played :D

Why are you people looking at me?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus for a second there I thought you wrote you got abuse in town after the Yankees beat the red sox. I thought I missed something :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Oh and please people, when talking about the GAA, please use your own accent and not the put on bogger one ffs!!!:P

Begorra and Bejaysus wud you gway wit dat ''Bogger'' talk.:pac:

Just because someone likes the GAA dosent mean theyr a bogger:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I got a load of abuse in the Kentucky one night while leading this Jersey
    fig9.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

old gregg wrote: »
    I got a load of abuse in the Kentucky one night while leading this Jersey
    fig9.jpg
    :D
    cant imagine why?? i thought they fried chicken??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

You're always going to get a slagging if you're wearing the enemy neighbours jersey in their county, it's part of any sport throughout the World. Unfortuantly some people go further but because of the nature of GAA it's usually just a slagging but surely people have to realise it winds people up so some react in different ways.
    You think wearing a Liverpool jersey into Manchester would just result in a slagging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

bogs wrote: »
    cant imagine why?? i thought they fried chicken??

Exactly, His Jersey wasent welcome:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Anyone wearing a GAA jesery as a fashion item deserves any abuse they get imo.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

Anyone wearing a GAA jesery as a fashion item deserves any abuse they get imo.:D

You may have a point there ok :D

Seriously, I don't have an issue with people wearing their team colours in the build-up, day of and aftermath of a game. Most GAA jerseys, however, don't 'lend themselves' to stylish fashion, as some people seem to wear them as :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Benimar wrote: »
    You may have a point there ok :D

Seriously, I don't have an issue with people wearing their team colours in the build-up, day of and aftermath of a game. Most GAA jerseys, however, don't 'lend themselves' to stylish fashion, as some people seem to wear them as :p

I wouldn't single out GAA jerseys for that.

There are few things I think look worse than someone in a pub on a Sunday, watching a soccer match, with a pint in one hand and a beer belly under jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Know its abit off topic but thought this was a very smart and funny reply I saw on the xbox forum, in good nature bout the hurling.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056005276

Advertisement