Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level level level

Options
  • 14-08-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I need to get some small spirit levels for mounting the new scope. Can you get them in the likes of Woodies or B&Q? Cheers.

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I need to get some small spirit levels for mounting the new scope. Can you get them in the likes of Woodies or B&Q? Cheers.

K.

You could drive yerself demented with a level!

I leveled scope, rifle and mounts all level.
    Put it to my shoulder off level

And cheapo B&Q levels may not be that accurate in the first place!

If you are into measurement you can spend a packet on levels.
    I leveled my scope by resting the rifle on the benchrest, having it almost tight in the rings; then gently tapping from behind until everything looked level.
    Put it to my shoulder then it was perfect.

as your shoulder is not level I don't believe there is much point leveling it milling machine accurate.

There is my 2 cents.

if you have a bench vise, gently clamp rifle in it, using a cloth or leather around stock not to damage it.
    Then eyeball the scope.

I have recently studied a lot of my friends & associated rifles, all scopes seem to have a slight cant on them, and all these guys are great shots so I would not worry about the spiritual level too much.

And if you like that sort of thing you can buy a scope mounted one
    http://gunmart.net/accessories_review/spirit_levels_for_target_scopes/

What ever you prefer.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

ya could try hangin up a plumb line and lining up the crosshairs with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Couple of options.

I have a few of these.
    images?q=tbn:Zm02d9kRXl_WVM:b

Very handy and can be got from all hardware stores for a couple of euro. They are used for getting the level of a string line, but due to the hexagonal shape sit nicely on small areas of the rifle.

Add those to either (or both) of these.
    images?q=tbn:IE0pqwIkWI9STM:bimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1F8fupol6y98jDjyrGD3mm6jmaMdU1KFllBKk_k-hJHNEVgo&t=1&usg=__8FAcBFtPXB3YuHYT3RGss51HoxE=

All in you are looking at no more than €30 or so. Depending on where you buy of course.
    I leveled scope, rifle and mounts all level.
    Put it to my shoulder off level

Had this hundreds of times before. The scope is level on the rifle. As you mention later no-one can hold the rifle perfectly straight. Every shooter has a natural cant. I levelled my Father's scope and he insisted it was "off". He re-adjusted it himself. At 100 yds no problems. At 300yds+ instead of going left or right/ up or down it went diagonally.

You have to resist the natural cant you have and mount the scope straight/level. PR60 and 3P lads can shoot through this (with aperature sights). For everything else fit the scope properly.
    I leveled my scope by resting the rifle on the benchrest, having it almost tight in the rings; then gently tapping from behind until everything looked level.
    Put it to my shoulder then it was perfect

Loosen the screws. Adjust as necessary. Then use 2 allen keys and tighten the screws evenly, at the same time, same pressure and most importantly DO NOT tighten screws on the same side at the same time. Do alternating screws, ie. front right and back left, etc.
    as your shoulder is not level I don't believe there is much point leveling it milling machine accurate.

Again its not for your shoulder its for adjusting the MOA or clicks of the scope. You will get true movement with a straight fitted scope as opposed to diagonal adjustments with a "crooked" scope.
    There is my 2 cents.

Here is your change, :D:p
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFqHVx8jOj1tpWel_HNlaGXNF0rtJhc6eOHy6fwSyiPYpilqQ&t=1&usg=__L_bRuc3kRTyND7LXMsnIss1BnQA=
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Here are my levels on my rifle.

picture.php?pictureid=4596&albumid=939&dl=1270753698&thumb=1

(click to enlarge)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    Here are my levels on my rifle.

picture.php?pictureid=4596&albumid=939&dl=1270753698&thumb=1

(click to enlarge)

As you have pointed out, up to 100 200 no real diff, unless the scope is going on a target rifle or a long range varmint, I would not bother leveling to ISO precesion
    Either that or get an adj but plate and all will be level and your but plate can be adjusted to suit shoulder.

OP
    what scope/rifle combo are you using it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ezridax wrote: »
    Couple of options.

I have a few of these.
    images?q=tbn:Zm02d9kRXl_WVM:b

I want to shoot that damn thing.

Bad memories from a dodgy one.

I have no doubt those levels are only a couple of euro because they are not to exacting standards, however when i'm buying them i usually take a proper spirit level of one of the shelves, and place the small one on it to see if there is any difference.
    As you have pointed out, up to 100 200 no real diff, unless the scope is going on a target rifle or a long range varmint, I would not bother leveling to ISO precesion

Yeah, but honestly why not do it right and to 100% first time round. If you are out hunting and a shot presents itself at say 350 - 400yds. How confident would you feel about shot placement knowing after 180-200yds your rifle is going down and left or up and right, etc, etc.

Either that or get an adj but plate and all will be level and your but plate can be adjusted to suit shoulder

Thats an option.

Advertisement