Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to keep a dog in Training ?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi All

Have two questions I'm hoping someone might answer:

1. If a person bought a racing greyhound, how much would it cost to keep them with a Trainer ? I'm based in the Midlands.

2. Is every racing greyhound "blooded" i.e. allowed to kill a rabbit or hare as part of their training ? Either as young dogs or when a big race is coming up. To freshen their enthusiasm if they are race-weary. Or do the dogs just naturally chase the mechanical hare out of instinct and race competitively as opposed to just running round the track in a pack ? Is it necessary to blood a dog to ensure that he puts in the effort required to win a race ?

I'd rather have a dog with a Trainer who doesn't use live rabbits/hares but I don't know if it's, like, standard procedure in the business.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Costs of training will vary from trainer to trainer and can vary from region to region. The best thing to do would be to contact a few in your region and surrounding areas and have a chat with them and see what they cost, etc. If some are close by you could also call in to see their set up, etc.

You can find a list of some trainers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Thanks Convert.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Depends also what track you wish track you wish to run at. Different trainers suit different people.
    If your in the midlands Mullingar or that would be the track.
    Different trainers have different charges also.
    There are lots of different options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Hi All

Have two questions I'm hoping someone might answer:

1. If a person bought a racing greyhound, how much would it cost to keep them with a Trainer ? I'm based in the Midlands.

2. Is every racing greyhound "blooded" i.e. allowed to kill a rabbit or hare as part of their training ? Either as young dogs or when a big race is coming up. To freshen their enthusiasm if they are race-weary. Or do the dogs just naturally chase the mechanical hare out of instinct and race competitively as opposed to just running round the track in a pack ? Is it necessary to blood a dog to ensure that he puts in the effort required to win a race ?

I'd rather have a dog with a Trainer who doesn't use live rabbits/hares but I don't know if it's, like, standard procedure in the business.

Thanks for any input.

I was in greyhounds for years breeding racing buying and selling them,go to the greyhound sales a few times before buying ,and train the dog yourself and look at all the exercise you will get from doing this, once you give a trainer a dog you have all kinds of expenses coming in,and i have known of trainers taking dogs over to the flapping tracks in scotland and england to race unknown to the dogs owners,good luck.
    Will get back to you again on this subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

if you do decide to purchase a greyhound go to the sales,look for a younger one with early pace,depending on your price around 600 to 1000 euro should buy you something to work on, pay attention to the dogs identity/racing book
    go for something with just a few entries in the book no more than 5 or 6 lines of form,trainers usually want a dog or bitch with proven ability,also you will buy a bitch cheaper than a dog,another way and which i did a few times was to lease a brood bitch,put her to a reasonably priced stud dog and rear a litter of pups some of which could be sold off to offset expenses and is one chance of getting a very good greyhound cheaper, a lot of luck is also attached to greyhound breeding you could hit on a good cross,anyway it is a very enjoyable sport will keep you fit and occupied also ,good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

u find a trainer in the midlands?

Advertisement