Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another flashmob thingy in town today

Options
  • 14-08-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

I just heard. Anyone see it? Any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just walked through it, it was like being back in 2005 all over again.

Street was too busy to really take much notice of it, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Galway Freeze was it? Sickened I missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Sounds lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

For some reason it was ****. The people were just ****ing ****. **** with a Capital S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

The people were what?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

is it on youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    is it on youtube

Pretty lame though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Ah flashmobs, people who participate in them are so mad, zany, alternative and unique.

Interesting that the first flashmob was a social experiment to display that certain people are so conformist and will do anything to appear "hip" or up to date with the current trends.

EDIT:
    I don't get why people participate with flash mobs, is it just the "LOOK AT MEEE, I'M SO IMPORTANT!!" mentality taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Ah flashmobs, people who participate in them are so mad, zany, alternative and unique.

Interesting that the first flashmob was a social experiment to display that certain people are so conformist and will do anything to appear "hip" or up to date with the current trends.

EDIT:
    I don't get why people participate with flash mobs, is it just the "LOOK AT MEEE, I'M SO IMPORTANT!!" mentality taking over?

Christ sake it was just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Krieg wrote: »
    Christ sake it was just a bit of fun.

Nah, it was crap. And annoying.
    The street was busy enough at that time of the day without these fools standing around.
    I did shoulder quite a few of them out of my way so I could continue walking up the street though.
    Now that was a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Haters gonna hate apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

EDIT:

Some flashmobs are still pretty cool, the Thriller ones after Jackson died were funny etc. Just standing around doing nothing is hardly cutting edge but it's harmless and a bit of fun I guess.

Like a lot of things in Ireland (not just Galway) we kinda get into them just after they've dropped out of fashion elsewhere, in short, we're kinda lame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I prefer the japanese ones where they wait in a lane/side street for like 2/3 people to walk alone and then 50-100 people come running out shouting stuff like "run for your life" to scare the **** out of the poor ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I prefer the japanese ones where they wait in a lane/side street for like 2/3 people to walk alone and then 50-100 people come running out shouting stuff like "run for your life" to scare the **** out of the poor ****s.

I saw a vid of that one, it was deadly!:D

I like anything that gets people at least *trying* a bit of creativity and to shake off the mundane. Even if some of them are a bit lacklustre..

I know on the dance one a while back, there's a few reports that some people made new friends, and it encouraged a few people to take dance classes, one woman I knew that did it took a drama class, which she'd never have done, except she had so much fun at the rehearsals. No harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just watched it on youtube and it did look kinda sh!t. I always thought freezes were about people stopping dead in their tracks for three mins or whatever and then walking off without a word being said; instead this has people waitig for the kick off, lying on the ground (because you would normally do do this?) and then cheering themsleves when it's all over??

I also can't understand why they picked the same spot on Shop Street that was used for the flashmob in March, and was discovered to be too narrow and awkward for passerbys, especially those in wheelchairs/ in a genuine hurry etc. Don't know why they didn't pick somewhere like near the Kings Head where the three streets meet, and wher the "effect" would have been greater,

/rant over.

will someone care to post a link from youtube please

Aw cr*p. WhileI applaud any efforts but choices that make obstructions etc don't do any favours for people in the future to do 'flashmobs' or good old fashioned (pre flashmob) street theatre. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

CRRRRINGE! especially when they started applauding themselves at the end.what the hell is the girl lieing down meant to be at, i thought the idea was to stay still in the position your are in, so she must have been licking the pavement?

CRRRRINGE! especially when they started applauding themselves at the end.what the hell is the girl lieing down meant to be at, i thought the idea was to stay still in the position your are in, so she must have been licking the pavement?

What a bunch of attention whores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

At least they are hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

What a bunch of attention whores.

Would you mind terribly much Bob not using the term "whore" to describe myself and my 11 year old daughter who had a bit of light hearted fun in town on Saturday..............

Thanking you ever so much:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Bishop to E4 check mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

cartman_lame-1046.jpg

Ok just had a watch of this. Don't see what the problem is, bar, as people already mentioned, it bein a poor choice of location as it was a bottleneck.
    It was a bit longish for a freeze but then again who is to say what the 'right' way to do this.. Yah a lot of freezes walk on but I think the cheer just came from having the craic. The lying down may have been a dramatic choice I think ;) the people messing with them was the only drawback I saw. Again, no harm IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Saddos blocking up the town they should be egged next time they start that nonsense

Would you mind terribly much Bob not using the term "whore" to describe myself and my 11 year old daughter who had a bit of light hearted fun in town on Saturday..............

Thanking you ever so much:)

Yeah yeah, obviously "attention whore" and the word whore on its own have two different meanings but I can see you're an easily offended type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What was lacking was few infiltrators carrying out a fartmob from inside the Galway freeze.
    Then the craic would start.

i'd say the brinks lads got a fright lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

So many bitter souls in this place.

It was some kids have harmless fun instead of getting pissed in parks or loitering in/around establishments (yes i know that is technically what they were doing here). Why not i say?

Advertisement