Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another flashmob thingy in town today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

not as good as the last one. they should have left more space for passers by. not everyone appreciates such antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

SAD! These things have been done so many times and offer nothing new or interesting..as someone said already..its like 2005 all over again.

Its a pity the bongo players and **** buskers on Shop Street couldnt freeze for a long while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 xadacka

Why can't we all just get along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

With the potential to be so good it was ruined by the few who a) chose stupid postitions (like sitting/lying on the ground) and b) starting the applause at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is it done right, back in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

With the potential to be so good it was ruined by the few who a) chose stupid postitions (like sitting/lying on the ground) and b) starting the applause at the end.
    + it looks like they didn't leave much room for people to get by. Bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

This is it done right, back in 2008.

Improv Everywhere are the biz, but that's also what they *do* - improv, so when they organise a mass group, they had a ton of devising experience. Location was prime, it was busy but had room move/film.
    Same with the folks who organised the dance mob recently, they are lovely folks who are pros in theatre and performance. A lot of the people who did it, while not dancers, per se, had performance experience. Mixed in with ordinary folks who did it for the craic, it made it stronger because it upped the ante. I think the location was chosen due to prior permission and broadcast/sound choices, but wasn't the best.

I am not sure who organised this recent freeze, but judging from FB it didn't have super long planning and it was probably a bunch of people who were *just* doing it for the craic.

There are WAY worse things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I wonder is it possible to obliterate the word 'craic' from existence.

After the phrase 'taking the piss', it has to be the most idiotic application of a word in Irish English.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

The look at me brigade were def out in force, why didn't they do it down the Spanish arch or some where more open plan, from the look's of it anyone in a wheelchair would def not be able to go down the street, the attention whore's and muppet's should have been fined for being a nuisance.

Mike... wrote: »
    The look at me brigade were def out in force, why didn't they do it down the Spanish arch or some where more open plan, from the look's of it anyone in a wheelchair would def not be able to go down the street, the attention whore's and muppet's should have been fined for being a nuisance.

Unlike any entire night of race week / most of the Arts Festival, when there is completely wonderful top speed wheelchair access from Eyre Sq to Jurys..:rolleyes:

Look, it wasn't the best artistic display ever, but some people, particularly young folks seemed to have a lot of fun (happier Bob?).

Anyone have links to complaints cited about this event for reasons other than artistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

inisboffin wrote: »
    Unlike any entire night of race week / most of the Arts Festival, when there is completely wonderful top speed wheelchair access from Eyre Sq to Jurys..:rolleyes:

I am sure that during Arts week and Race week people don't stand in the middle of the street like motionless clowns and would also try to extend the common courtesy to wheelchair users to attempt to let them pass, not lie on the middle of the street and make sure that the attention was on them!!!

I am sure that during Arts week and Race week people don't stand in the middle of the street like motionless clowns and would also try to extend the common courtesy to wheelchair users to attempt to let them pass, not lie on the middle of the street and make sure that the attention was on them!!!

Jaysus, maybe we're not at the same race week. Took me 5 times as long to *walk* from one end to the other, never mind a chair. No one lying in the street during race week at ALL:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

inisboffin wrote: »
    Jaysus, maybe we're not at the same race week. Took me 5 times as long to *walk* from one end to the other, never mind a chair. No one lying in the street during race week at ALL:rolleyes:

Well not during daylight hours anyway... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jesus its gone like after hours in here with all the 'witty' cynicism. have to laugh at all the comments about allowing people room, as if shop street is otherwise always empty! its only a bit of fun guys just chill.

btw where is all this wheelchair bs coming from? did you actually see a disabled person in distress or is it just a convenient angle for your little rant? im fairly sure anyone in the mob would have made room if a chair user needed to get by the obstruction.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did I see someone taking a photo? Of people standing still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well if half-arsed street blocking art improvs become more and more common, then it's only a matter of time before permits will be required for such things.
    Infrequent and well organised improvs on the other hand will not attract such a step.
    Don't say you weren't warned....

You've obviously never tried to walk down Quay Street after 6pm during Race Week. You know what? It's good that these activities are sprouting up - it makes the city that bit more enjoyable to live in and, if you don't like it, there's no point staying here and complaining about it.

What the hell is going on in this forum? Why do people feel the need to voice their sarky comments in threads when it isn't needed whatsoever? This isn't After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

biko wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate apparently.
    6c0229ec-a508-4622-a4e5-5a33ae41c978.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible to obliterate the word 'craic' from existence.

After the phrase 'taking the piss', it has to be the most idiotic application of a word in Irish English.
    i wonder if its possible to obliterate you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What the hell is going on in this forum? Why do people feel the need to voice their sarky comments in threads when it isn't needed whatsoever? This isn't After Hours.

I agree fully with this. I'm gobsmacked by some of the negativity in this thread.

I wasn't involved in the Freeze but the people who did go, went for fun. This included quite a few children.
    It lasted 5 mins so the inconvenience to people was very very small.

I don't understand how someone can complain about blocking shop street for 5 mins, but thanks a poster who admits to the following:
    I did shoulder quite a few of them out of my way so I could continue walking up the street though.
    Now that was a bit of fun.

In cases like this, the 'Thanks' button should be replaced by a 'Look at me - I'm an idiot' button.

Rant over....

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    i wonder if its possible to obliterate you

Wow, such wit. You really got me there.

dilallio wrote: »
    I agree fully with this. I'm gobsmacked by some of the negativity in this thread.

Well what are we supposed to do?

Say things like "Oh look at those mad yokes, look at the craic they're having, mad feckers !!!?!!!"

Can people not dislike things?

It was a poor attempt at a sad fad that the developed world has nearly forgotten about.

The fact that they are all Facebook users is another reason to dislike the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

this is a board for discussions of all sorts as long as it has to with galway.people are going to voice their opinions - positive or negative!

Well what are we supposed to do?

Say things like "Oh look at those mad yokes, look at the craic they're having, mad feckers !!!?!!!"

It was a poor attempt at a sad fad that the developed world has nearly forgotten about.

The fact that they are all Facebook users is another reason to dislike the whole thing.

I took part in the Zombie Walk. It wasn't because it was good craic, nor was it because I wanted to show how much of a "mad fecker" I am, it was because I'm fed up with the usual things to do in Galway - and there's not many things here outside of the pub/club scene. And you know what? I had a fantastic time; possibly one of the best nights I've had in a long, long time.

It's something different. Yes, you mightn't like it, but these things are going to happen regardless. And so what if it happened through Facebook - it's just a new way of spreading the word quicker than conventional means.

As for flashmobs being old - they are in other countries, but they are not here. There are a lot more people than you think who would be dying to partake in one of these - especially after seeing videos about them online. I hope there'll be more of these. However I do agree that they are occurring too close together. We will be getting to the stage where they'll go stale fast - until someone organises one properly and comes up with a relatively original idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

dilallio wrote: »

In cases like this, the 'Thanks' button should be replaced by a 'Look at me - I'm an idiot' button.

Rant over....

Wow, with cutting insults of this calibre at your disposal I better apologise to those jackasses.....in case you get REALLY mad and call me a wee-wee head...

Right.

This thread has now been derailed. Pity, as it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They can, and that includes being called an 'easily offended type' too.

[pedantry]
    And I disagree with your attempted separation of "attention whore" from "whore".
    It means exactly what it says, a whore for attention. Hence it's common usage as "teh funneh, biting insult".
    Although in this context, I think it has been sold short, the object being a mob - however poorly organised.
    [/pedantry]

And I disagree with your attempted separation of "attention whore" from "whore".
    It means exactly what it says, a whore for attention.

[-0-] wrote: »
    At least they are hot.

Clearly the above is the remark of a potential pedophile seeing a large number of them are kids.

Any word or sentence can be taking out of context and offense ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Shop street was such a crap choice of destination in my opinion. Yeah freeze mobs are old as fúck but I still think they can be fun if done right. I think Eyre square would have been a better choice, at least they wouldn't have been wrecking peoples heads there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Wow, with cutting insults of this calibre at your disposal I better apologise to those jackasses.....in case you get REALLY mad and call me a wee-wee head...

Fair enough - what annoyed me is we have a young Spanish Student staying with us at the moment who took part in the freeze. She was standing near at the edge near McDonalds.
    A couple of mins into it some lads started to push her - I'm sure they thought they were having fun but when she didn't react, one of them shouldered her quite forceably. This frightened her.

Yes - the location was silly, the organisation was poor, and when something like a freeze is located in a condensed area, some folks will try and get a reaction from the 'performers'. That is acceptable as long as it's done in good spirits and nobody gets pushed badly or frightened.

When I spotted your post, I associated it with what happened to our visitor. I am not suggesting that it was you or your friends which were involved in this incident, but I hope it explains my earlier post.

It was unfair of me to criticise other posters in this manner without explaining the reason.

Advertisement