Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason to hate chuggers

Options
  • 14-08-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

As if they dont piss me off enough as it is, it turns out these guys get paid €13 per hour for their "hard work"

http://www.concern.net/jobs/street-fundraisers-cork

I love the job description "Concern Worldwide is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking people with a commitment to ending POVERTY and HUNGER in the world’s poorest countries."

Well here's an idea why don't you guys give up your time for free for a start! hmmm???

"It is a big responsibility to be the public face of Concern and we take it very seriously."

I think somebody needs to tell them that their public face is like a giant kick up the arse i.e. a pain in the arse(:o cdnt tnk of a good pun)

Now i know this is a wee bit of a rant and there is a forum for that but i think this deserves the AH treatment:D

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Funneh old business....

I'd be concerned...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

As if they dont piss me off enough as it is, it turns out these guys get paid €13 per hour for their "hard work"

You didnt know? Thats the way i get at them when they hassle me

Them: do you have a minute for blah blah

Me: how much of your wages goes to this charity?

Them: i dont get paid actually

Me: Yeah you do i used to do your job!

Them: ehhhhhhhhhh

Just for the record i never did the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

GAAman wrote: »
    You didnt know? Thats the way i get at them when they hassle me

Them: do you have a minute for blah blah

Me: how much of your wages goes to this charity?

Them: i dont get paid actually

Me: Yeah you do i used to do your job!

Them: ehhhhhhhhhh

Just for the record i never did the job :D

Jasus i knew they got paid but i didnt realise it was 13e p/h. I thought it was along the lines of minimum wage or commission based. No way do they deserve that much money for inflicting misery on everyone going about their business!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I hate them as much as everyone else, but in fairness, it's a tough job and they can't live on nothing.

Without looking it up, what percentage of money raised goes directly to the third world would you say?

In 2009, it was.....
    90.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I love the job description "Concern Worldwide is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking people with a commitment to ending POVERTY and HUNGER in the world’s poorest countries."

Well here's an idea why don't you guys give up your time for free for a start! hmmm???

"It is a big responsibility to be the public face of Concern and we take it very seriously."

I think somebody needs to tell them that their public face is like a giant kick up the arse i.e. a pain in the arse(:o cdnt tnk of a good pun)

Now i know this is a wee bit of a rant and there is a forum for that but i think this deserves the AH treatment:D

They probably get paid that much because it's such a **** job, people don't want to do it. As for not giving their time for free. Would you quit your job to spend all your time trying to get people to sign up to a charity? They need to make a living, just like you.
    And it is hard work. Some people aren't content with just saying no to you. Some people like to go out of their way to let you know that they think you're scum.
    Honestly, they're not that irritating. Just say no and walk away. If they try follow, ignore them. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'm convinced the whole idea behind chuggers and street subscribers is to spread brand awareness rather than actually collect any significant amount of money. I'm imagine everytime the C*n*ern board hear about people complaining about their annoying little minions they get a little collective horn.

Come to think of it I'd love to know how much they make from chugging (or more particularily street solicitation for CC details etc) vs the other methods of raising funds. I usually get my bus at a particular spot across from C*n*ern folk looking for signee's and to date I've never seen bodylanguage that could construed as someone actually signing up to the charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not sure if anyone else came across this

There is a group called the Hanley Centre, treatment centre for people with alcohol problems.

They employ good looking girls at key locations.
    Cruises St Limerick or Shop St Galway as examples

You stroll down the street and see some girl staring right at you as if you're the only person in a crowded street. As you continue walking she walks up, greets you but not in an aggressive chugger fashion.

You stand there wondering do you know her from somewhere. :confused:
    And then after a minute or two of chat she pulls out the scratchcards and asks you to buy.

Ridiculously effective way to get people's attention

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought this was another Bono thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Charity begins at home. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There is a group called the Hanley Centre, treatment centre for people with alcohol problems.

You stroll down the street and see some girl staring right at you as if you're the only person in a crowded street. As you continue walking she walks up, greets you but not in an aggressive chugger fashion.

And then after a minute or two of chat she pulls out the scratchcards and asks you to buy.

There's one of them on Grafton street.

I thought I was being hit on by a hot asian. No, no I was not.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Yeah I got duped into that one. They just start takling to you as if you once knew them:

"Hi, how was your journey today?"

Oh fsck I bet I know this person ..and so on. haw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

There is a group called the Hanley Centre, treatment centre for people with alcohol problems..

I used to work for them. 40c per card sold e5 to the first person to sell a bundle and I think e10 to the days top seller.
    They go out in groups with a supervisor. the supervisor also gets a commission for every ticket sold along with a basic wage.
    On top of that I was hired by some guy in a suit and I do wonder how much he was earning.
    Then theres the fact that you can actually win off the tickets, although the top prize was only won once in the past two years or something.

I quit within days, it was soul destroying.

Also concern does not just give a flat hourly rate of e13, the rate increases and is applied to the entire day if they sign up a certain number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Chuggers helping to bankroll their CEO's salary of €140k (granted this article is a few years old, but doubt if its changed much).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/top-charities-defend-fat-cat-ceo-salaries-1062042.html

If the chuggers knew this they might think twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

€13 per hour is hardly earth shattering. I would question the pay that those at the top of the ladder get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    €13 per hour is hardly earth shattering. I would question the pay that those at the top of the ladder get paid.

It is when their job is to get you to pay concern e10 a month, those figures just don't add up when you consider they only sign up around 5-10 people a day at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

If I was doing it I wouldn't take the pay unless I really needed it like,otherwise what's the point?

I was looking at charities that do work abroad and there was one who build houses in South Africa which is nice like but you're put up in a 4 star hotel for the whole time you're there!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Concern Worldwide is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking people with a commitment to ending POVERTY and HUNGER in the world’s poorest countries

Concern don't give a flying f*ck about ending poverty & hunger in the world's poorest countries, namely the African continent. If they did, they would steer well clear of it. It is no small thing that as aid to Africa has increased over the years, poverty & hunger have increased with it.

Aid does nothing to solve the problems of the continent & has only in fact, made it a lot worse, by developing a culture of dependancy & of corruption. It also interferes greatly with the autonomy of the countries.

Their one & only real "concern" is one of making money for themselves & if they do actually have any real concern for helping the worlds poorest nations, then the way they are going about it is seriously misguided & uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it's important people differentiate between the charities and HOW their chuggers work. I know one guy who was fired from concern because he stepped too close to a person. Once they make contact with someone, they have to stay where they are, ie, they cannot call you then walk towards you. Thats why they all shout like fools.:D

Some of the charities encourage their workers to be intimidating, follow you, one of them badly insulted me at my door to the point I reported them. These are usually agencies, hired by the charity and don't work directly for the charity themselves.

Concern hire their own workers to ensure they can control how they work.

Yes they are annoying, but concern are by no means the worst. Honestly, watch them the next time you are accosted by them. They are not permitted to move towards you.

I also know a girl who works for them, she has been attacked by grown men, spat on, told by a priest she would go to hell :rolleyes:, she has been physically pushed so many times, threathened, people are really horrible!! She is out in all weather and with early starts, her entire day is spent outside on her feet.

It's a job I would never ever do. It doesn't matter how much they get paid, they do a job which they are hired to do and most of them do it well. Why should they do it for free? At the end of the day, the most successful charities, who do the most work, have to hire these people to keep money coming in. If you don't agree with 15% of your donation going into running the charity then fine, don't donate. How you expect any charity to survive without administration etc is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I hate them as much as everyone else, but in fairness, it's a tough job and they can't live on nothing.

Without looking it up, what percentage of money raised goes directly to the third world would you say?

In 2009, it was.....
    90.5%

90.5%!?!?!?!?!
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

No

Yeah I've had this happen. Saw them a few times on Grafton street. First 2/3 times I brushed them off. Another time out of sheer bloody curiousity I talked to the girl. Once she told me what it was about thou I brushed her off again. To be honest the deceitful approach rubbed me up the wrong way as much as the agro-chuggers do.

Chugger stood in front of me and blocked my path one day. Basically chest bumped me. I just stood and stared at him till he got out of my way, didn't say a word. hehe gotta love the silent evil stare :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I put my gum into the chuggars box when I see them

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Thanks for the info, just applied there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Thanks for the info, just applied there:)

:rolleyes: that doesn't even deserve a face palm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I'd be concerned...

Im not that Concerned with Concern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

:rolleyes: that doesn't even deserve a face palm!

A job is a job,I'd take any job right now,as would a lot of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes, I know this one. I thought I was buying tickets to an adult 'ping pong' show from a hot asian girl. Their manager does be lurking around henry st and grafton st, making sure they approach people and hit their targets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought this was another Bono thread.

It can easily turn into one!

However,if you dont wanna be rude to them..the best thing to say is "I have a direct debit with you guys".. that way you sound,wealthy,smug AND organised in one go and the chuggers always respond with "You rawk" or something similar..
    Idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

fúcking bono,its his fault for paying foreign taxes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I remember walking past a chugger in Waterford city one day with a friend and he tried to get us to talk to him by saying "Hey, you guys look pretty intelligent!".

I just said "Cool, thanks!" in my cheeriest voice and kept walking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Degsy wrote: »
    It can easily turn into one!

However,if you dont wanna be rude to them..the best thing to say is "I have a direct debit with you guys".. that way you sound,wealthy,smug AND organised in one go and the chuggers always respond with "You rawk" or something similar..
    Idiots.

Or a very polite "**** out of my way" to the offending chugger. Failing that, a good shove never fails to give them the desired message.

Advertisement