Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason to hate chuggers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Whispered wrote: »
    Concern hire their own workers to ensure they can control how they work.

They also hire through face2face, a company which also provides workers for oxfam and other charities, they actually train people to behave so bloody annoyingly imagine that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I seen one this 'chuggers' getting trained on Wicklow St during the week.

She was almost in tears with people blanking her and just being rude to her.

The guy that was training her would stand ten feet away and then go up and almost do an emotional release exercise with her and tell her she needed to let go of feeling it's personal.

I doubt she lasted the day as she seemed to hate it and was very emotional at not being able to convince people to stop and chat.

I was glad they cleared off after a while as I was doing shag all begging action with them hanging about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I hate the chuggers trade.

Many people who are genuinely working voluntarily for a charity shaking the collection tin are assumed to be one of those chugger types. This is really unfair and unfortunate on genuine people who are giving up their spare time to help people in **** circumstances.

My experience of these chuggers are beyond pleasant.
    From what I have experienced, they are nasty, aggressive types who try to use guilt to intimidate people into signing up for their programmes. The more abuse they get the better.

Maybe that will convince their overpaid managers and CEOs that Irish people will not be fleeced just because we feel sorry for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Degsy wrote: »
    It can easily turn into one!

However,if you dont wanna be rude to them..the best thing to say is "I have a direct debit with you guys".. that way you sound,wealthy,smug AND organised in one go and the chuggers always respond with "You rawk" or something similar..
    Idiots.
    I've always heard instead "oh well sign up to donate more then" ><

NSFW - best way to deal with chuggers

Filmed as part of Galway's Little Cinema. I had nothing to do with any of this video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Personally my tactic for dealing with them nowadays is to not make eye contact, not speak and just dismiss them with a wave of the hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

If people weren't too greedy and thoughtless to give a few pennies to charity on a regular basis we wouldn't need this annoyance in our lives.

The fact is that the number of chuggers on the street working for concern has risen in the last few years but this is to make up for the constant witholding of pledges of money by the government during the last two years.

The fact that there has been no public outcry at this endangerment of the worlds most vulnerable people, I think, means we deserve this extra annoyance.

Here's a solution for you, just give €20 to Concern a month, 'already give' is the perfect response to one of them asking for 'just a minute of your time'.

Glenster wrote: »
    If people weren't too greedy and thoughtless to give a few pennies to charity on a regular basis we wouldn't need this annoyance in our lives.

The fact is that the number of chuggers on the street working for concern has risen in the last few years but this is to make up for the constant witholding of pledges of money by the government during the last two years.

The fact that there has been no public outcry at this endangerment of the worlds most vulnerable people, I think, means we deserve this extra annoyance.

Here's a solution for you, just give €20 to Concern a month, 'already give' is the perfect response to one of them asking for 'just a minute of your time'.

They let chuggers register for boards now. Jesus Christ I may have to leave.
    So Glenster what's your commission?

.....answered having suppressed the desire to post "Would you ever **** ***"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I dont do it, rotten job, plus I dont think I have the people skills.

I just want everyone to be aware that that extra chuggers were hired as a result of the Irish government promising money to help feed starving children and failing to deliver.

Perhaps if everyone annoyed by fundraisers held their government to a basic standard of honesty (or even humanity) there wouldn't be a need to have so many on the streets.

edit:
    By the way well done for not saying **** *** to someone who thinks a minor inconvenience is worth raising the money to save a childs life. You're a real peach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I usually just nod in the direction of the nearest child begging on the street beside them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

They should be rounded up and all shot. I'm deadly serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Notice how people seem to be so jaded that the Pakistani floods are getting little or no aid.

Concern have people on the ground already, where it matters, give us €40 a month or else we'll release the floods on YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Awww... I read this thread as "Another reason to eat cheese burgers"... sooo disappointed.

I dont do it, rotten job, plus I dont think I have the people skills.

I just want everyone to be aware that that extra chuggers were hired as a result of the Irish government promising money to help feed starving children and failing to deliver.
    They were ? Wheres the proof ? Evidence please.
    The Irish government breaking a promise - is this somehow news ?
    edit:
    By the way well done for not saying **** *** to someone who thinks a minor inconvenience is worth raising the money to save a childs life. You're a real peach.

And you're real presumptious. How do you know what I do or don't do to help other people. You are as bad as the chuggers going round telling people what to do. Get off the old high horse and mind your own bees wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I wish I got paid €13 an hour! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I do, and thats the reason I set it up, I figured I'd get them off my back, the following is a resulting conversation with a concern chugger I wound up wanting to slap in the face.

"excuse me.."
    "sorry I'm already signed up!" I keep walking, guess who else does?
    "oh, really, well then where did you sign up?"
    "Grafton street.. In Dublin?"
    "Who were you speaking to?"
    "How in gods name am I meant to know"
    "Well then what did he look like?"
    "A bloody ginger guy wearing shorts in the rain what does it matter?"
    "Oh yea well, when does the money come out of your account?"
    "The beginning of every f!ckin' month who the f!ck do you think you are...*long insulting rant*"
    "Ok ok I'm sorry have you ever considered increasing your donation? *concern speal*"
    "What do I look like to you?? I'm a bloody student, I give a ridiculously high percentage of my monthly income to charity why don't you go piss off someone who has it you... *further ranting*"

I now know what really gets rid of them, screaming obscenities!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I'm sorry...does Ireland have a personal obligation to starving children?

Also, these "charities" only end up giving a small portion to starving children.

The CEO of Conc€rn lives in a mansion on f**king Anglesea Road and drives a BMW. Charity my ass.

Advertisement