Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want from your local pub?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

in the states EVERY bar has a ladies drink free or half off night (usually mid week), which brings in more women, which brings in more men...
    The Exchequer in Dublin has a "ladies night". Tack-o-rama.
    as far as rewards go i think the buy x and get 1 free is always a good plan
    Except in Ireland where it's illegal and will get you fined and jeopardise your licence.
    are their any attractive female bartenders working at the pub? throw them a bonus or an extra day off in exchange for wearing the sexy clothes rather than regular work clothes
    Let me guess: you're not currently working as an employment lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Realistic prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Would it not also be illegal for a bar to charge people different prices according to gender?

As is, I reckon, the pretty common practise of 'ladies free' in certain clubs.
    Only for the fact that I would never want to cross the door of one of these clubs, I've often considered taking a gender discrimination case against one of these clubs.
    I presume it would fly?
    Legal experts....???

I thought the only organisations legally allowed to blatantly discriminate on gender and age basis were insurance companies!

Would it no also be illegal for a bar to charge people different prices according to gender?
    I suspect so. The Exchequer sells mojitos and cosmopolitans to women for €6 on Thursday nights. The website doesn't say what the normal price is, or what one will cost you if you rock up to the bar of a Thursday whilst in possession of a penis.

Saruman wrote: »
    In fairness this statement is not true even if it is in caps ;)

Yes but if he had written 'FACT' after it then it, obviously, would be unarguably true.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BeerNut wrote: »

Lionel Hutz, attorney at law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

Saruman wrote: »
    In fairness this statement is not true even if it is in caps ;)You might get a lot of them doing that in certain parts of some cities but I would say the majority of the bars in the USA do not do this and certainly none of the many I have been in do so.

People don't seem to be able to grasp just how stupidly massive the USA is, how diverse the cultures are and just how many people 310million actually is. Each state is like a different country with different laws etc.

well every bar i have been to (if i drank or not) has had a ladies night, maybe its just south florida but in 20 years i've never been to a place that served alcoholic drinks and didn't have a ladies night...
    The Exchequer in Dublin has a "ladies night". Tack-o-rama.
    okay..
    Except in Ireland where it's illegal and will get you fined and jeopardise your licence.
    i did not know this... here its perfectly legal
    nope, all i know is when i go to a place that has women working in lingerie the guys tend to spend more money...

Yes but if he had written 'FACT' after it then it, obviously, would be unarguably true.:D
    she*

and that is a FACT! lmao :p

she*

and that is a FACT! lmao :p

:o:o

:o:o
    lmao, couldn't you tell by my user name? what hetero man would have sunshine as their name? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Seems some want a version of Baba Bing!!

I rather have a good reasonable priced pints, a great range of world beers with price reduction promotions on them throughout the year. Maybe a food menu that matches with the beer on promotion. A decent cleaned jacks without time travelling cleaners who mark up the hourly check sheet 10 hours in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The website doesn't say what the normal price is, or what one will cost you if you rock up to the bar of a Thursday whilst in possession of a penis.

Does that include Lorena Bobbit?

Well no, since she only had half of one and threw it out the car window.
    *insert "cock tale" joke here*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I want my local bar to have, you know, trained bar people!!

Can't believe the amount of places that will refuse to make a simple cocktail cause they aren't trained! And you're looking a the contents of a cosmopolitan in front of you - just mix the bits ye lazy basterds!

A nice cocktail is a real pleasure and something I don't have often at home because of the number of constituent parts, and the lack of some of the apparatus, but something which a bar should cater for.

Secondly is a descent wine selection. I don't mean those ****ty mini bottles of new world crap, why not have one of your 10 fridges at a different temperature and put some 750ml bottles in and then pour by the glass?

Next is food (up till a certain hour if you want). Though this is getting better it must be said.

Next is a descent bottled beer selection. I don't want your crappy draft selection replicated in the beer selection.

Turn off the television and ****ty music. I'm looking at you Bull and Castle! :mad:

Have a proper menu style drinks list with clear pricing (no that one page in font size 6 at the entrance doesn't suffice!).

lmao, couldn't you tell by my user name? what hetero man would have sunshine as their name? :D

Well, I was blinded buy your (at least what seemed to me) overtly male chauvinistic attitude to female bar staff and what you think they should be 'encouraged' to wear.

I have no problem with any bar staff of any gender wearing what ever they like. My problem is if staff are hired as a result of perceived attractiveness and then the female ones are 'encouraged' to wear revealing clothes.
    That is wrong on so many levels and I couldn't imagine the suggestion that such policies would be implemented here could come from a woman.

End of PC rant!

Well, I was blinded buy your (at least what seemed to me) overtly male chauvinistic attitude to female bar staff and what you think they should be 'encouraged' to wear.
    well actually i'm a bit of a woman's lib... if the women don't want to wear it, okay thats fine.. and there is nothing wrong with a woman showing skin if she wants, most women do it without benefits. plus, i was going by american standards where bartenders get tips and less clothes equal more tips
    I have no problem with any bar staff of any gender wearing what ever they like. My problem is if staff are hired as a result of perceived attractiveness and then the female ones are 'encouraged' to wear revealing clothes.
    i wasn't saying to fire employees and hire new ones, i was saying to dress up existing ones... the bartenders here usually wear costumes on special promotions and holidays, revealing or not... that goes for men and women, i've been to clubs wear the female bartenders wore more clothing than the males. also, when it comes to hiring new staff and any sort of establishment looks DO serve a purpose (not how hot a person is) but how well they clean up...

eg: two women with identical resumes:

Would you hire a beautiful woman that comes to an interview with jeans, tank top, tackies, chipped blue nail polish and with her hair a mess; slouching, biting her nails and mumbling throughout the interview?
    Or would you hire the girl who isn't super attractive but comes in wearing a pant suit, hair done proper, if wearing makeup it looks good and not too dramatic or gaudy, nails trimmed and neat; while during the interview she has her head held high, good posture, enunciates every word and gives you firm handshake?
    This goes for male or female, regardless of the job being applied for.
    That is wrong on so many levels and I couldn't imagine the suggestion that such policies would be implemented here could come from a woman.
    i never said policies, i said give them benefits if they are willing to wear said outfits... if i owned a pub or club i would give bartenders the option of wearing a normal uniform or a more revealing one, if no employees wanted to wear the revealing ones i would offer some sort of benefit or discount to those willing (if that is illegal in ireland forget i said it, i'd rather keep things legit) and still if any employees didn't want to wear the more riskay uniforms they wouldn't run the risk of losing their job, they would just wear a normal, conservative uniform.
    End of PC rant!
    i'm a strong believer in anything a woman does can liberate her depending on her attitude towards the subject. if a woman sleeps with a different man every night does it make her a slut? not if she loves it and has great self image after doing so... i consider it more chauvinistic to say women have to be conservative and never show skin and sleep with only long term partners in order to be a confident, respectable woman. personally i give more props to strippers that love what they do and see it as exploiting men to make a living than a woman that works as a secretary for a man (or woman) that pays a low salary and doesn't fulfill her.
    Sex sells, end of story. If a man or woman has no problem using his or her sexuality in order to make a living what is the problem? so long as nobody is getting hurt what is the harm? most of the people that b*tch about female empowerment only being a conservative thing have sticks up their arse!
    WHAT IS CONSERVATIVE ABOUT BURNING BRAS OR CHOPPING A GUY'S MANHOOD OFF?????
    nothing! female empowerment is not ladylike!
    End of my PC rant :D

ah yes....
    FACT! lmao!

i said give them benefits if they are willing to wear said outfits
    Which is the same, legally and logically, as offering less to the ones who aren't. It's discrimination, and you'd find yourself with a lawsuit pretty sharpish.

Which is the same, legally and logically, as offering less to the ones who aren't. It's discrimination, and you'd find yourself with a lawsuit pretty sharpish.
    i would offer some sort of benefit or discount to those willing (if that is illegal in ireland forget i said it, i'd rather keep things legit)
    so you were saying?

so you were saying?
    I was saying that you could find yourself with a lawsuit. Whether the practice is illegal or not is for the judge to decide.

i'm not actually planning on opening a pub or club anytime soon... so i have nothing to worry about

• Advertisement

i'm not actually planning on opening a pub or club anytime soon... so i have nothing to worry about

Phew!!:D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

A pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

manbat wrote: »
    A pint?

you want a pint from your pub :D good luck with that

Advertisement