Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck in a rut

• 14-08-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Okay so Im not really sure if this is the right place to ask questions or tell stories but here goes

Im 21 and in desperate need of some help,for the past 3 years I've been unemployed purely because my mam(my dad died when i was a child and his family don't want to no me) and my nana were providing for me(my mam is unemployed herself but whenever she can she'd help me out)Anyway she's always told me to sign on to the dole,but to be perfectly honest i was to ignorant to,i put it off and kept telling myself i'd get a job eventually.To cut a long story short,i left school in 6th year(which doesnt make my CV very attractive looking)due to personal issues,i always felt sick and never had much confindence,whenever i wasnt in id sit in bed studying,i was never stupid or anything but I'm pretty sure that leaving school hindering my chances of finding work.

I'm going back to college in September to repeat my leaving certificate,and i really need help to buy my books and pay my fee.my mam cant afford to help me because my sisters going into first year and she's to get her uniform etc.

I don't know what Im meant to say if i go down to the dole,Im terrified they'll laugh in my face or demand proof that i was looking for work. I have no reference letters,no signatures from shops to say i put in a cv(most shops arn't looking for anyone anyway so i usually don't even get a chance to give my cv in and when i ask for signatures they always hesitate and tell me to come back when the managers there)

I really don't know what to do,or who to turn to.Im afraid that if i go down to the labour they'll think im lieng because what my mams gets a week is very little and she says"they won't believe i provided for you" I don't even know what Im meant to bring them down? the last job I had was back in 2007.Ive tried signing up for sites like monster and Fás but i always get stuck at the "education" and "job" part because i can't remember exact dates and I'm afraid to lie in case it comes back and bites me :(

please some advice would help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Go to the dole office and get an application form for jobseekers assistance.
    There are a lot of questions on the form which you will need to answer regarding your mother's income and assets.

I'm not sure what grants may be available for someone in your situation. Books aren't that expensive if you can buy them second hand - although most people going back to school in September probably bought them by now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Youthreach might be able to help you.
    Social welfare officer will be able to get you on track.
    Fair play to you for going back:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i haven't much to say but keep going hun :) you will get the help ye need and things will get better . they wont laugh at you !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

As mentioned, Youth Reach would be a good resource for you.

The 'find' facility on opening page of website will give you details of Youth Reach office closest to you.

http://www.youthreach.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

you might be able to get some help from the vincent depaul or your local partnership or CDP as well. Did someone encourage you to go back and do your leaving cert?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What ever you do don't give up, also you could try and look to speak to a welfare officer and explain to them what you are planning on doing.

Advertisement