Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth adding a motor to my Dish??

• 14-08-2010 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

HI, I have an 80cm dish set up with 3 LNB's for 28.5, 19.2 and 13 degrees. I had a D****o Cam but sold it as alot was disappearing from it.I now only have the free to air channels on these satellites.
    Question : Is it worth my while motorising my dish ? Is there much more I could get free on other sats i.e some sports even in different language.
    Thanks for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

I am glad I made the decision to motorise my dish.

there is some stuff on 16 and 23.5 east thats worth watching in terms of sport.

Make an investment in a good receiver and use the web to source for yourself ways and means of getting a more rewarding viewing experience.

google dreambox and cccam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Hi , thanks for the reply. I have an Mvision HD300 ( not NET :-( bought too quick as this version came out soon after :-(
    I have been looking at Unix 500 box with gift , any experience with these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

timmydel1 wrote: »
    HI, I have an 80cm dish set up with 3 LNB's for 28.5, 19.2 and 13 degrees. I had a D****o Cam but sold it as alot was disappearing from it.I now only have the free to air channels on these satellites.
    Question : Is it worth my while motorising my dish ? Is there much more I could get free on other sats i.e some sports even in different language.
    Thanks for any help and advice.

Depends on what your after tbh, plenty of football on 0.8w and 16.0e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes, yes and yes, Motorise the baby!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys.I think I will have a crack off adding the motor ! Can I get a recommendation for a good motor for an 80 cm dish, and approx price.Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Thanks for the encouragement guys.I think I will have a crack off adding the motor ! Can I get a recommendation for a good motor for an 80 cm dish, and approx price.Thanks.

The Technomate TM-2600 is a great motor.Can be got new for about €66 including delivery from this guy on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Motek SG2100

See the main satellite stickies

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Moteck_Diseq_Motor.html
    I've had that many years on an lightweight Triax 110cm dish in a relatively sheltered position. Any heavier dish or exposed situation should use 36V actuators and a Diseqc to actuator converter box.

Thanks Carbsy and Watty. The one on ebay is a great price for the newer model, I might go for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.satshop.tv/MOTECK-SG2100A-MOTOR

this is what im getting for my 1.2m dish plus its cheaper price than the above link

A 1.2 is a bit big for ANY diseqc motor. It would want to be very sheltered. Larger dishes use the more robust 36V actuators.

• Advertisement

Well guys I went for the Technomate 2600 in the end,got a good deal off a guy from Cork on eb*y.Set up over the weekend using all the help on this and other forums. Used 5W with usals to get my true north position as I am in west waterford. Started to scan for satellites.I can receive the following so I hope I am on the arc ok.

30W Hispasat-ok
    5W Atlanticbird 3-ok
    0.8W Thor-ok

Picking up some signal from the following but no channels?
    5E
    7E
    9E
    10E

13E Hotbird-ok
    19E Astra-ok

Cannot receive the following though I think its because of the dish location on the back of the house looking over the roof edge (not great spot but all I have-wife doesnt want to be looking at dish outside kitchen window!! ) I could receive the Astra channels in same position with fixed dish but now it seems to point into the roof when motorised !!

23E Astra
    28.2 Astra
    42E Turksat
    Do you think I am on the arc ok though ??

Something is wrong if you can't get 28.2E and did at same location

Hi Watty,
    Ya been wondering about that myself,I might try sending the dish to 28.2E with usals and do a bit of adjusting again.Maybe i had just enough line of sight when the dish was fixed and the extra inches of the motor have made a difference? I dont want to raise the dish too high as it will catch too much wind.

you should get a load of channels on 5 east (about 170 on the FSS Beam), all the channels on 7 east and 10 east (But they will be encypted). Sounds your arc is out. Also you have to remember that 30 west is a very strong satellite here as well.

It was a nice afternoon here so had a go at settings again.I reset the motor,reloaded latest firmware on mvision,checked pole for level,sent motor to 5W and started again.
    Got signal as best I could here by adjusting motor left/right and dish elevation/declination.Picked up lots of channels here ( not sure what FSS beam is though Snaps?)Sent dish to 5E and did the same again.Grand.
    Then tried everything to the west and was able to get stuff on most sats(available to 80cm dish anyway!) as far as 30W.Grand
    Got sats 5,7,9,10,13,19.2 East ok
    Still no 23,25,28:mad:
    I think I am on the arc ok its just the position of the dish on a pole looking over the roof edge and the extra inches added by the motor that is causing those last sats to the east to be out of sight behind the rooftop.
    I will try to add Astra28.2 through a diseq switch from the sky dish out front.
    There is a thread here also about doing this so I am following that to see if it can be done.Thanks for the advice everyone.

sounds a bit better.

Just a quick question.I seem to be missing some channels especially on 16E.Is it possible to be on the arc and still be off position a bit on one satellite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Just a quick question.I seem to be missing some channels especially on 16E.Is it possible to be on the arc and still be off position a bit on one satellite?

80cm dish is too small for 16e.You'll need a 1m+ tbh.

no, you will be missing channels on 16 east. I struggle on a 1.1m with 16 east.

Thanks for the info.I obviously need to do alot more study on what I can receive and can't on each dish size.:o

• Advertisement

To be honest, in the South of the UK you would get away with a 80cm on a motor. This far west/north a 1m is a minimum for a motorised system.

Advertisement