Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on rig and PSU

Options
  • 14-08-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, after much debating, I have decided to with this rig.

Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E
    CPU - Core i7-930 2.8GHz
    GPU - GAINWARD GeForce GTX 460 GS - 1024 MB
    RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 2 X 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800

Now, from looking around I can get this bundle for €750 I still think I could get it a bit cheaper. But I find that its reasonable for that setup. The only thing I'm worried about is a PSU problem, I really don't know what type/ how much power i need for that build.

Any suggests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Columc wrote: »
    Hey guys, after much debating, I have decided to with this rig.

CPU - Core i7-930 2.8GHz

Now, from looking around I can get this bundle for €750 I still think I could get it a bit cheaper. But I find that its reasonable for that setup. The only thing I'm worried about is a PSU problem, I really don't know what type/ how much power i need for that build.

Any suggests?

Im not 100% sure about the GTX460 but if they are anything like their big brothers then will eat power. I'd go with a 550W to be safe although you should be just fine with a good 450W unit

Corsairs VX450 and VX550 would be ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

actually the gtx 460 is very good compared to the gtx 470 and 480 so you probably wont need that much power but to be honest if i were you id get a good 700-800W PSU anyway seeing as you might want to add another gtx 460 later on down the road and you can always carry a good PSU into your next build

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Deano's flying close to the wind there! :p 550W at least, 650W if you want to OC, the CPU is more likely to prove a problem than the GPU for once (LGA1366 CPUs literally drink power! :o) and both components have exceptional OC ceilings and drink power when they start to get close to them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Solitaire wrote: »
    Deano's flying close to the wind there! :p 550W at least, 650W if you want to OC, the CPU is more likely to prove a problem than the GPU for once (LGA1366 CPUs literally drink power! :o) and both components have exceptional OC ceilings and drink power when they start to get close to them :o

Me...close to the wind....nevvvvvvvvvvvvver :p

I do tend to forget that i7 eats power, the build I seen someone using a VX450 with had a Xeon :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Main consumers:
    CPU 130W TDP
    GPU 160W TDP
    Adding a generous 100W for the rest (HDD etc.) we are at about 400W (34A).
    But since this setup is doomed to be overclocked ( :) ) these are my (modular) bets:
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600
    Corsair HX 620
    Cougar S 550 / GX 600
    Enermax LibertyEcoII 620 / Modu82+ 600
    Seasonic X-Series 650.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Hmm cheers for the advice, Going to go with a 750W just for the backup of adding a second GPU in the near future.

Going to go with this build

CPU - Core i7-930 2.8GHz
    Tower - Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid tower (Cheap, Nice layout )
    PSU - Cooler Master GX 750W
    Optical - Samsung 22x SATA LightScribe Bezels

I think its a good solid built machine. With upgrade being available for more RAM and another GPU. The build will cost roughly €950 with shipping. If anyone has any suggestions I am always up for ideas.

Quite tempted to get a SDD for main boot and the 1/2 games I play, or maybe a raptor HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

This rig is worthy of having a good cooler. The case is 190mm wide, so it should barely fit the 160mm giants. I don't know if it is available at your retailer, but when in doubt: Scythe Mugen II.
    And maybe a 120mm fan for the back of the case, it only comes with one in the front.

Advertisement