Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a faulty motherboard?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't have much experience with faulty motherboards so I could use some input.

A few months back I built a P6T Deluxe V2.

Recently it's emitting this pitch noise (quite annoying)...It's hard to describe it but it resembles the kind of sound you get off those older TVs.

My hearing is only average so it's not super hearing or anything.

It intermittently gets worse or better with no pattern to it...e.g. leaving the PC idle most of the time.

What I've tried:
    -Swapping the PSU (replaced with corsair AX850); no change
    -Isolating the noise.... removed everything bar the essentials needed to power up the rig i.e. just the motherboard and CPU cooler and the noise is still present
    -The CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D14, for the barest of seconds I disconnected its fans (meaning just the radiator was present) from power and the noise was still present.

Last thing I can think of is case fans, but these are quality Antec fans...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

The coil plague has hit you, I'm feeling with you. Sure it's not the graphics card? This often occures on them. Could also be a soon-to-be-faulty capacitor.
    With holding pieces of cardboard you can seperate your case into "zones" which may ease up localizing the source.
    If it occures mostly in idle, when the CPU doesn't need that much juice, a workaround (not a solution, sadly) could be to disable EIST/C1E in the BIOS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup! Try swapping your graphics card for another to rule it out. I'm guessing dying coil or cap on the mobo though, Asus LGA1156/1366 mobos aren't the best :o

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi thanks for the replies,
    Mmm tried swapping the graphics cards.

Definetly the motherboard.

I wouldn't so much mind as the system works perfectly, it's just that damn pitch is going to give me headaches.

@Solitaire
    Any favoured brands for motherboards without the coil plaque?

I've noted your comments about Asus boards but trying to source non Asus boards in Ireland seems challenging as they seem overwhelming popular with most retailers.

Advertisement