Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carlingford transport

Options
  • 14-08-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

does anyone know of anyway to get from carlingford to dublin,via newry or dundalk it doesnt matter, on a sunday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Taxi,or get lift into dundalk or newry and get bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Dearest place I ever took a taxi. Last month was charged €60 from Ballymac to Four Seasons, the first guy wanted €80. There's a bus eireann bus weekdays to Dundalk, not sure about Sundays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A bus from Carlingford to Dundalk and then Matthews Coaches to Dublin would probably be the cheapest, don't know the carlingford/dundalk routes but you should get the timetables online.
    trad wrote: »
    Dearest place I ever took a taxi. Last month was charged €60 from Ballymac to Four Seasons, the first guy wanted €80. There's a bus eireann bus weekdays to Dundalk, not sure about Sundays.

:eek:

Dick Turpin without a mask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Jeez trad,I hope taximan wore a condom cos he certainly rode ya there!!
    Thats a feckin disgrace,rip off Ireland strikes once again!

Coming from a wedding, a party of 8 and the first guy wanted a tenner a head, second company we rang said the driver would do it for €60 and out arrives a licensed taxi with a meter and the women want to get back to the hotel, what do you do, you just pay up, or walk.

Just my experience, there may be a "local" rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

trad wrote: »
    Coming from a wedding, a party of 8 and the first guy wanted a tenner a head, second company we rang said the driver would do it for €60 and out arrives a licensed taxi with a meter and the women want to get back to the hotel, what do you do, you just pay up, or walk.

Just my experience, there may be a "local" rate.

Distance = 21km.

From Taxi Regulator's website:
    (Premium Rate; 8pm - 8am, and Sundays/PHs.)
    First 1km = 4.35
    Next 14 km = 14 @ 1.35 = 18.90 (= 23.35 so far)
    Next 6 km = 6 @ 1.57 = 9.42 (32.77 total)
    Plus E1 for each additional passenger.

Taxis are allowed charge LESS than this rate, but are NOT allowed charge more.

So, unless there was 28 of you in the taxi (which I doubt), you were royally screwed!

Moral of the story, alway get them to use the meter!

I know I was royally screwed but when the women wan't to get home what can you do.

Whats worse when we inquired at the Four Seasons we were told that the locals charge you both ways. Like I say, just my experience.

Don't get me wrong Carlingford is a beautiful place and Ballymac is a great hotel (had my wedding reception there) and I would highly recommend the area to anyone to visit. And only an hour from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

well i was able to call a local Dundalk taxi firm at 1 am on Saturday night. It came from Dundalk picked us up in Carlingford and left us back into Dundalk again for €30. My friends who were down from the North found it expensive but i thought it was very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

whereabouts did you go to in Dundalk?

its around a 20min trip each way, thats reasonable IMO

Advertisement