Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Options
  • 14-08-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Dunno if we've had this posted anywhere before,

Obviously more parts in the playlist on youtube itself, but there's the first part

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/king-kong-fistful-quarters/
    n the early 1980s, legendary Billy Mitchell set a Donkey Kong record that stood for almost 25 years.

This documentary follows the assault on the record by Steve Wiebe, an earnest teacher from Washington who took up the game while unemployed.

The top scores are monitored by a cadre of players and fans associated with Walter Day, an Iowan who runs Funspot, an annual tournament.

Wiebe breaks Mitchell’s record in public at Funspot, and Mitchell promptly mails a video tape of himself setting a new record. So Wiebe travels to Florida hoping Mitchell will face him for the 2007 Guinness World Records. Will the mind-game-playing Mitchell engage; who will end up holding the record?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

billy-mitchell-tie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Billy Mitchel has far too much time on his hands.
    He also has a hot sauce it's in one of AVGN's vids

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It's a great movie, but it is heavily edited to manufacture false images of the people in it, which detracts from what purports to be a documentary. I recommend watching and enjoying the movie before reading what's true and false over here.

Billy Mitchel reclaimed the record last week August 7th.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=27&id=2213
    Asked why he stopped as soon as he had slipped past Hank Chien’s previous world record of 1,061,700, Mitchell adds: “Some say I’m being cocky. Some say I’m being lazy. I say, I’m being Billy Mitchell."
    Absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I know editing can portray people as whatever,,,,,and the image i got was

-Steve Weebee - underdog legend ...great guy..
    -Bill Mitchell - ignorant c*8k

I've no interest in the current records or old video games, was a nice documentary. Like the one where ..was it Karparov (Human) vrs Deep Blue (cpu) in the chess game ??

Can everyone/anyone post any other video game documentaries they have up please.

I've seen the one about Fatal1ty, and the beginning of Fanatic gaming, both very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

http://www.igotnextmovie.com/

Documentary focusing on the American fighting game scene and four players. The trailer looks good. I haven't watched the ~40 min short cut as I want to wait for the feature length cut, whenever it's coming out.

http://www.kingofchinatown.com

Another fighting game documentary. Mostly focusing on Justin Wong and Empire Arcadia. I don't think it looks as good but it has extra relevance now as Justin left Empire Arcadia and Triforce (Wongs "Manager" and the dude in charge of Empire Arcadia) went crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The thing is that these games turn into more like marathon sessions at the higher levels... the first person who slips up or loses his nerve loses. I'm sure it still does take a lot of talent and a LOT of practice as well to become best in the world.

I don't see why more complicated videogames can't be considered as big and important and a spectator sport as the likes of snooker, golf and running are.

Ill watch them later thanks :)

I did bring up documentaries on games before, some good ones in this thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673231&highlight=documentary

My fave videos relating to the History of video games are on

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/play-value

http://www.kingofchinatown.com

Another fighting game documentary. Mostly focusing on Justin Wong and Empire Arcadia. I don't think it looks as good but it has extra relevance now as Justin left Empire Arcadia and Triforce (Wongs "Manager" and the dude in charge of Empire Arcadia) went crazy

That looks real good, 1 question though, as it seems you need to get it screened in your city ......IS there another way to get it ? ..ive looked but cant see that its out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*leans into thread*
    Hey guys there's a Donkey Kong killl screen coming up soon if anyone's interested...

• Advertisement

Hey, this guy has a conspiracy theory about it, talking about hacked game boards etc. It's awesome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Great documentary. Billy Mitchell, and especially his lackey comes off as a right prick. Could've been how the film was edited i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

When you're the best in the world at whatever you're doing, you have every right to be cocky! :pac:

Also it should be well-known that King of Kong was edited for dramatic purposes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Note to self: remember to order Billy Mitchell hot sauce at some point.

A very funny and entertaining film, even if it is edited to make certain individuals look like asses: it did leave me with a distinctly sour taste about Twin Galaxies.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    When you're the best in the world at whatever you're doing, you have every right to be cocky! :pac:

Also it should be well-known that King of Kong was edited for dramatic purposes.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that the whole "Billy Mitchell's cohorts and Twin Galaxies invading the house and taking apart the machine" scenario was a load of hokum because of the details they were skipping out on and how they were avoiding terms like "break-in" and "criminally", documentaries do this sort of thing all the time.

The fact is they were invited into the house, they were invited to play the machine, they were invited to take photographs of the machine to try to prove things were okay with it. Anyone is bound to have their suspicions over a 20-year old record being mysteriously beaten by a newcomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

i believe mitchell has overtaken wiebe again. I did enjoy the film but preferred south parks piss take of it

Which SP episode is this ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Which SP episode is this ?

Yes, preferably post the youtube piece of the segment if there is one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Yes, preferably post the youtube piece of the segment if there is one. :)
    It' s the holy crap episode where Randy breaks the world record for taking the biggest crap in the world, replacing Bono as the world record holder. It then follows the same principle as the documentary, making Bono look like a real sh!t like mitchell. It's one of the best south park episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

making Bono look like a real sh!t like mitchell.

I'm sure that wasn't hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

King of Kong is really good; found it very entertaining.

Others have been mentioned so just some others I found interesting...

FRAG looks into the world of Pro-gaming - the good, the bad and the very ugly. Also has a side story of one professional who sacrifices everything to make it his dream.

'Beyond The Game' follows Warcraft 3 superstars Moon and Grubby. Very interesting documentary if not a little mental at times - some people in China treat Moon's family poorly because he didn't go for a 'proper career', etc.

🤪

FRAG movie is good, its on the previous thread that I linked where Sabre posted all/most known good gaming documentaries :D

I think I will watch Frag but not "Beyond the Game". The reason is that I would question over how much real skill there is in Warcraft 3 and how much it's just throwing thousands of hours into it and working out the game mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sabre0001 wrote: »

'Beyond The Game' follows Warcraft 3 superstars Moon and Grubby. Very interesting documentary if not a little mental at times - some people in China treat Moon's family poorly because he didn't go for a 'proper career', etc.

Is there anywhere online to watch Beyond The Game?

I'd pay to see it but I'm not paying €19+delivery for a dvd.

I think I will watch Frag but not "Beyond the Game". The reason is that I would question over how much real skill there is in Warcraft 3 and how much it's just throwing thousands of hours into it and working out the game mechanics.

Any/Every game takes skill, and at the highest level it takes a ridiculous amount of skill.

To be able to micro so many units and run tactics on the fly, to have the situational awareness and be able to change your strategies depending on the situation takes incredible skill.

It probably takes more skill than being the Top at an FPS, though that point can be argued I suppose.

Also found this link
    8 Great Game Documentaries

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally got around to watching this just now. Fantastic viewing.

Dubiously edited or not, Billy Mitchell is a complete pompass arse. I've never seen someone so trapped in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Brilliant film.

Billy Mitchell is a complete douche bag, no matter what way it's edited.

Wiebe is a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Billy looks like an 1980's movie villian.

Advertisement