Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a modem router as a modem only?

• 14-08-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Dear Friends,

Can I use an old modem/router as a modem only? If so can I ask how?

I have a few old zyxels, netgears etc, I am currently buying a linksys wrt610n and need a modem for it. So can I use one of my old modem/routers?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dnme wrote: »
    Dear Friends,

Can I use an old modem/router as a modem only? If so can I ask how?

I have a few old zyxels, netgears etc, I am currently buying a linksys wrt610n and need a modem for it. So can I use one of my old modem/routers?

Many thanks

Yes

There should be a setting somewhere which allows you to disable dhcp find that and bob will be your uncle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes

There should be a setting somewhere which allows you to disable dhcp find that and bob will be your uncle!

thanks dub,
    But surely there's more to it? no?

Which router should get the ISP assigned IP then?
    What about NAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You need to put your modem into bridge mode. In this mode it will pass the PPPoE session directly through to your router when and you can decapsulate there. Your router will then have a publicly addressable IP and you can do any port forwarding directly on the router. (also the router will be handling the NAT)

Knasher wrote: »
    You need to put your modem into bridge mode. In this mode it will pass the PPPoE session directly through to your router when and you can decapsulate there. Your router will then have a publicly addressable IP and you can do any port forwarding directly on the router. (also the router will be handling the NAT)

None of the modems I have, has a bridge mode as far as I'm aware. You know the ones (zyxel's) that eircom give free.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

dnme wrote: »
    None of the modems I have, has a bridge mode as far as I'm aware. You know the ones (zyxel's) that eircom give free.

The black eircom zyxel's do have bridge mode. They are so crap that I use it as a modem connected to a netgear cable router. Just make sure you switch off wifi when you put it in bridge mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I have never used one of those modems so I'm not 100% sure about this, but I would be very surprised if they didn't have a bridge mode. Look in the section where you type in your DSL username and password, there should be a mode dropdown box which can be set to Bridge. You will also need to know your DSL username and password as you then need to put them into the routers configuration page. (I think they might be the same for all Eircom users so a quick search on the forums should get them for you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Advanced settings, Expert modes etc..

The other alternative is 2 LAN subnets, make router public IP a static IP on the separate Modem Router subnet and on the Modem Router put that IP in DMZ. Then all port forwarding / blocking /settings are on 2nd Router.

I've never seen one without Bridge mode. But you have to dig on the menus. Do disable WiFi as has been said.

Only use one ethernet port on Modem-Router to the WAN port on the standalone Router.

many thanks all, will try when new router arrives

WRT610n arrived and is working, but now the way I want.

I have set up my Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 as my modem. It is in pppoe mode connecting to DSL. It runs a DHCP Server. My qrt610n gets an IP from Zyxel (so its basically a client on the network).

Can anyone tell me how to put the Zyxel into bridge mode (be gentle, I am an idiot when it comes to networking).

Zyxel has IP Passthrough, is this needed?
    I would like to have dhcp disabled on zyxel and enabled on wrt.
    I would like wry to see WAN IP and DNS Servers
    Do I put wrt into pppoe mode?
    How do I tell wrt to get its IP/DNS from Zyxel

Many thanks for any help

Ah figured it out

In the Zyxel main wan screen, I change mode to bridge, then give disable dhcp in lan section. I leave it's ip as 192.168.1.254.

Then in wrt, I set it up as pppoe, enter eircom credentials, set it up as a 192.168.1.1, enable DHCP server starting at 192.168.1.2 and allowing 100 clients (careful not to let it take 192.168.1.154 - used static on zyxel)

Worked a treat

• Advertisement
Advertisement