Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos bad business practice

Options
  • 14-08-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

I've heard first hand that Argos are trying to switch hard drive brands when you go to purchase a certain make they bring you out a different one and tell you they are all the same e.g. 500gb. Anyone else notice this lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

madalig12 wrote: »
    I've heard first hand that Argos are trying to switch hard drive brands when you go to purchase a certain make they bring you out a different one and tell you they are all the same e.g. 500gb. Anyone else notice this lately?

Occasionally, Argos will have supply issues, and may replace a specific item with another item, and have it carry the same catalogue number. At all times this item will be of equal or greater value. The tills display a message stating this and you should have been told this when buying. If you weren't told, get your refund.

As an example, I bought a 28" TV, and got a free upgrade to a 31" since they didn't have any 28"s left. It is also possible that there'll be some of the new and some of the older version of the item in the stockroom, ask and they'll usually see if the older one is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Well, i'd understand this if they hadn't actually got the item in stock, but they brought out a HP one first, when asked why was told they're all the same, when requested to supply the actual one in the catalogue he brought out a bag with a WD one in it. When asked again to supply the correct one he did go back with a bit of an arguement and brought out the actual one ordered. Now i wouldn't be suspicious that something illegal was going on if it hadn't happened to a friend aswell....in a different store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looks like they are trying to get rid of certain stock which may have been bought in a lot cheaper for one of their many sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    looks like they are trying to get rid of certain stock which may have been bought in a lot cheaper for one of their many sales.
    It may have been more expensive but the guy in argos was just trying to give you a good deal...

Sounds strange alright, but I seriously doubt Argos were trying to fob you off with a cheaper model, they'd be seriously asking for trouble. More than likely they were over stocked and trying to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Happened me a few months back with an iron. didn't really think much of it as it was the same specification as the one I ordered. But in the case of computer hardware id be very cautious if they gave me a different brand/model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Gillo wrote: »
    It may have been more expensive but the guy in argos was just trying to give you a good deal...

Sounds strange alright, but I seriously doubt Argos were trying to fob you off with a cheaper model, they'd be seriously asking for trouble. More than likely they were over stocked and trying to get rid of them.

If the company is over stocked it isn't the customer's problem.
    If he asked for something he should get that one,not a different one because there are 100 of them in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer that I was commenting on Foggy_lad's accusation that they were trying to fob the customer off with a cheaper product as opposed to a different product of the same value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ah,apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd be worried about the receipt, if it was broken and the receipt showed a different model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ive had argos items upgraded also as there has not been the original in stock, they would always be a more expensive item.

A good point was made there re receipt though, not too long ago there was a query on here about a customer returning a faulty camera, the camera on teh receipt was not in stock so they had a replacement camera given to them, when an issue arose with the camera argos would not acceot responsibility as their store did not sell that particular camera, unfortunately though the store had brought in the camera to replace a listed product. After reading that issue I would be sure to ensure that the barcode and description of the replaced item is written on the receipt and stamped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement