Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

half chaps or full boots

Options
  • 14-08-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

What is better for protecting the calfs? I resumed riding after a very very long hiatus and have terribly bruised legs.

I dont really like wearing full length boots. And if someone could recommend a brand that is good but not too expensive that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Personally I prefer a pair of half chaps and jodhpur boots to long rubber riding boots. If you get a good pair of leather riding boots, then it's fine, but if you're on a tight budget then I'd go for the half chaps.

I've never gone for a specific type of brand of half chaps, but if you are buying a pair I've found the thicker suede ones tend to last for longer - I've a pair that have lasted over 10 years and they're still fine (ok, the piece of elastic that went under the foot eventually snapped, but that would be expected given the use they got). If you want to pay a little more, you could always buy a pair of leather half chaps, which would look good if you wanted to go down the competition route, but if you just want a pair for lessons/hacking out, etc. go for the suede pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a pair of full boots that cost only €100 and have lasted three years so far, I had a pair of mountain boots and half chaps but the full boots were much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Personally, I wear suede half chaps, with long, thick socks underneath. This way, I can bearly feel it if I hit the whip of my leg (this is when someone else is on the horse and can't get going, rather then letting them have a whip they can't yet use correctly). I doubt you will bruise with this combination!:)

There is a place near me you can get long boots for very cheap (around 20-40 euro- I can't remember now) so shop around and try and find the cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I have two pairs of chaps, one for everyday riding and a leather pair for shows. They are both great - my everyday pair are my brown threadsteps and I've had them for ten years now and they are so comfortable, I don't even notice I'm wearing them anymore. They actually mould to the shape of your leg after awhile. I will definately get another pair when these ones eventually die.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eeichi_girl

I've short legs and have had trouble getting decent full boots, I also find that the rubber cheaper ones kink and can cause some serious pain around the ankles. I ware ariat jodhpurs boots and treadstep chaps, but these are dear. Half chaps are fine in most brands. Get yourself some nice cheap ones then maybe spend a few bob on nice boots. Toggies or Horze would be my favorite of the more cost effective brands, try to get them with a front zip as the back ones can split and if you don't have a zip can can really break a sweat trying to get them off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement