Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

motorhome owners critisised by Caravan Park Owners.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Betsy Og wrote: »
    lest we be accused of ignoring the other elephant in the room - how do you stop amenities being taken over as long term camps by travellers?

The simple answer is you probably can't as there is no will to enforce the law at the moment.

But if campsite owners offered a simular servies to aris where we could empty tanks / toilets and fill up with fresh water for a small fee it would be a big help. If they also lowered thier prices and actually offered a good service, while we all continure to trun a blind eye to free camping between staying onver on a camp site then they would do a lot of buisness. More tourists would come to visit Ireland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

The simple answer is you probably can't as there is no will to enforce the law at the moment.

But if campsite owners offered a simular servies to aris where we could empty tanks / toilets and fill up with fresh water for a small fee it would be a big help. If they also lowered thier prices and actually offered a good service, while we all continure to trun a blind eye to free camping between staying onver on a camp site then they would do a lot of buisness. More tourists would come to visit Ireland....

Put the Aire next door to the local Garda Barracks ? Or as near as possible ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Crackerjack23

I don't have a campervan but just to say, we tented in a lovely campsite called the Apple Farm just outside cahir. It is very clean/reasonalbly priced at €6.50/person regardless of whether you have a tent or campervan. €4.50/child. Free extremely hot showers all day long.

esb hook up is only €2. You can buy fresh fruit and juices in their own shop and you can bring in your cooking facilities to their large barn to cook and there is a huge area to wash up etc, tables to sit and eat. They have also a good recycling system. plus a kids play ground. I have nothing to do with this campsite but believe credit should be given where due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Old Timer

Much has been said on this thread, users have made many suggestions. I would like to add mine:-

In France there are in most small towns a Municipal Site with charges generally in the 10 euro price range, depending on the time of season. Why not get our County Councils to set up at least two Municipal Sites in each county. Not only would it solve our problem, but would create much needed employment and should be self financing if we all use these facilities. Now that testing is to be implemented for campers. (Perhaps those of you who are about to tax your camper have been advised by your local council that you need your DOE.) Perhaps some of the revenue generated by the councils can be given back to us as a municipal site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is the waterways smart card.... you can use their toilet and shower facilities so it is something at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saruman wrote: »
    There is the waterways smart card.... you can use their toilet and shower facilities so it is something at least.

It's a great example in theory and also a good example of why public bodies shouldn't be allowed to run remote facilities. More often than not the toilets are closed due to technical problems or vandalism. Their pump out facilities for waste tanks are either non existent or again, out of commission. Waterways Ireland are not a shining example in practice. Public run tourist facilities are not well run in Ireland IMHO. Either PPP or private enterprise where there is an incentive to succeed.

And to echo another poster. We just stayed at The Apple Farm in Tipp and had a lovely time. Laid back atmosphere, wonderful walking through the orchards in the sunshine and although basic, the facilities were not lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have seen a lot of these water filling/emptying points in France at petrol stations. You need a token to fill water but generally you can empty your toilet cassette for free. It could work for campsites and petrol stations here?

euro-relais-mini-sm.jpg

The Apple Farm sounds great. Going to give that a go some weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Will post some photos when I find the camera cable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Kol a lot of the rest areas on the toll roads in France also have Motorhome facilities for emptying etc. I wonder would they provide them here on our toll roads as a lot of the service areas are being built now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Disappointing that they dont allow dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

The Mcc in Northern Ireland have an Aires open in the village of Broughshane in Antrim, and they bought the Sanistation in France and had it operational in a few hours. How about the clubs getting together here for a similar venture.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Disappointing that they dont allow dogs.

Only if you have a dog ;)

Bessa wrote: »
    The Mcc in Northern Ireland have an Aires open in the village of Broughshane in Antrim, and they bought the Sanistation in France and had it operational in a few hours. How about the clubs getting together here for a similar venture.

Used this one a couple of times. Really good facility and a nice pub called the Thatch in the village, nice stop if heading up south to the Antrim Coast.

Oh very good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allthatGlitters

We were allowed to stay here with our dog. We just arrived on spec and person on reception just told us to be respectful with regard to dog, and there would be no problem.

I loved the campsite. I loved their ethos. The showers were old fashioned, but spotless, like going to stay in your aunties house. Recycling was very prominent with the usual bins for bottles cans etc but then also there was a magazine and book recycling shelf. Leave in your "read" magazine and take another.

We had a great walk through the orchards, spotted loads of rabbits, (ate a few berries - opps) and generally had a lovely experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Bessa wrote: »
    Kol a lot of the rest areas on the toll roads in France also have Motorhome facilities for emptying etc. I wonder would they provide them here on our toll roads as a lot of the service areas are being built now.

It should be no problem to have them at rest areas if there are water/toilet facilities provided too. It would be very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

Old Timer wrote: »
    In France there are in most small towns a Municipal Site with charges generally in the 10 euro price range, depending on the time of season. Why not get our County Councils to set up at least two Municipal Sites in each county. Not only would it solve our problem, but would create much needed employment and should be self financing if we all use these facilities.

Wexford town council have a site just across the bridge...far from the €10 price range but clean, secure, central and not bad value for this country.
    http://www.camping-ireland.ie/caravan-parks/camping.php?id=129

Reading this its sounds like there the only way to get change is to be proactive is to a) petition the councils to create camper friendly bays and b) make our own camper friendly/value guide to campsites in ireland.....a bit of name and shame....maybe then you'll see value for money.....

Regards,

Donnchadh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Dyflin wrote: »
    Will post some photos when I find the camera cable :D

Stayed overnight in an orchard in Somerset a few years back - signposted off the motorway - something ridiculous like £3 if no electricity needed. Showers were 50p I think but washing, water and unloading loo was free. Was a working farm so there was no reception or grocery store or anything (was close enough to a village anyway). Loaded up with fresh eggs, apples and cider before I left so she made another tenner or so from me - perfect!

Advertisement