Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me or has Thomann been seriously raising their prices?

• 14-08-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand why. Recently, the price of the Jet City 20 Watt combo was cut to about €400 or so. This was in line with Jet City announcing they had managed to make the same combo cheaper than before, and there'd be a price cut. Now it costs €479!

The Egnater Tweaker head jumped up €30 out of nowhere too.

And now the ZT Lunchbox is costing €289, whereas it was closer to €250 before.

I'm planning on buying a new amp and this comes as a harsh blow to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

A couple of years ago I bought a Mackie CFX 12 desk off Thomann. I can't remember what I paid but it was nowhere near the €682 they're charging for it now. The same desk is €513 on Digital Village at the moment. This seems to be true for nearly all mixing desks too. They really seem to be dropping the ball lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I don't think it's getting dearer, Thomann prices just fluctuate wildly depending on the amount of stock or something. When I was buying my M-Audio Profire 610, it was €315 or so 5 minutes before I bought it, but right as I went to buy it it went down to €250. The guitar I've been looking at too has been jumping from €715 to €680 randomly. Give it a few days and see if the price changes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

I got one of these at €1300 from them about 2 yrs back... €1729 now
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/warwick_corvette5_br.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Exchange rate fluctuations? Technically, they should not apply these to items already in stock, but petrol stations and places that sell cigarettes routinely apply price changes before exhausting their stored stock.

Unless they do that weird demand/supply gimmick that some pubs are doing with regard to the price of drinks. (As in constantly fluctuating prices depending on the demand for a product in any given time period).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Exchange rate fluctuations? Technically, they should not apply these to items already in stock, but petrol stations and places that sell cigarettes routinely apply price changes before exhausting their stored stock.

Unless they do that weird demand/supply gimmick that some pubs are doing with regard to the price of drinks. (As in constantly fluctuating prices depending on the demand for a product in any given time period).

I'm guessing how it works is that when they get a shipment in, depending on how the demand differs from how they projected it to, they change the prices to match, higher or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I think thomman were only cheap a few years ago when they were first discovered.They were cheaper than all of our music shops here in ireland so it just showed how much we were being ripped off here.But ive spent thousands on gear in the past 3 years and when shopping around ive gotten the best bargains from the uk retailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Colinboy wrote: »
    I think thomman were only cheap a few years ago when they were first discovered.They were cheaper than all of our music shops here in ireland so it just showed how much we were being ripped off here.But ive spent thousands on gear in the past 3 years and when shopping around ive gotten the best bargains from the uk retailers.

Thomann are renowned for buying up liquidized businesses stock. They also do loss leaders on many products and let's not forget they sell stuff by the bucket load. If they sell a 1000 of something and make ten percent, that's viable. But Irish shops can't compete when they only sell 1 or 2 in comparison. Some manufactures also supply Thomann direct, cutting out the wholesalers cut whereas Irish shops have to buy through the wholesaler. I accept many Irish shops were until recently not competitive but its not all black and white. There are some products that Thomann sell cheaper than we can buy them at trade. The playing field is not level :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Dublin Guitar

In the last 12 months the USD has gone from 1.44 against the Euro to 1.19 and is now around 1.27. This has a major effect on most product as manufacturers in the far east sell in USD, as of course do North American manufacturers. Prices have to fluctuate in line with that as no dealer/wholesaler can cover a 17% price increase, especially a dealer like Thomann who work on very small %'s anyway.

Manufacturers too are not always happy that their products get de-valued by internet discounters and may be raising prices to prevent this, thus driving prices up.

2 cents

DGC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Strings.ie wrote: »
    There are some products that Thomann sell cheaper than we can by them at trade. The playing field is not level :mad:
    The last three purchases I made were from X-music, which were as cheap, or a bit dearer but not that much than Thomann. So the playing field is not that un-level :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    The last three purchases I made were from X-music, which were as cheap, or a bit dearer but not that much than Thomann. So the playing field is not that un-level :-)

I said some products but luckily not all and you're right; Many Irish stores are now competing on price with Thomann which is good ;)

But as Dublin Guitar said, many manufactures are starting to do something about the under selling of their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Thomann are renowned for buying up liquidized businesses stock. They also do loss leaders on many products and let's not forget they sell stuff by the bucket load. If they sell a 1000 of something and make ten percent, that's viable. But Irish shops can't compete when they only sell 1 or 2 in comparison. Some manufactures also supply Thomann direct, cutting out the wholesalers cut whereas Irish shops have to buy through the wholesaler. I accept many Irish shops were until recently not competitive but its not all black and white. There are some products that Thomann sell cheaper than we can buy them at trade. The playing field is not level :mad:

The playing field is not level my friend.you just have to be a smart consumer in this day and age and shop around and be willing to do a bit of haggling with retailers.Thomann dont do haggling on prices as there all fixed!;)

Advertisement