Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do letting agents require a PPS number?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

why do letting agents require a PPS number from a prospective tenant? what personal information can they access by having this number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's needed to register you with the PRTB, no need to give it until you're signing a lease. Landlord can't do anything with the number other than put it on the prtb form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leeni

thanks a milion. jnst thought it was a strange thing for a letting agent to ask!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They aren't allowed ask for it.

For PRTB registration, you need to fill in the details (PPSN included) and sign the form, so it can't be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Victor wrote: »

For PRTB registration, you need to sign the form, so it can't be that.

In my experience they ask you to have it with you next time they see you for you to fill it into the form. I'd say that's where the 'asking' comes into it, or maybe they want to have the form typed up and ready to be signed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Victor wrote: »

For PRTB registration, you need to sign the form, so it can't be that.

Question 15 on the registration form is the Tenant's PPSN...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Post edited. I realise it could have been taken different ways.

Advertisement