Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC changing their Terms and Conditions

• 14-08-2010 10:06pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I note from the UPC website:
    The UPC standard Terms and Conditions have been amended. The changes made to the terms and conditions are set out below. These will come into effect on 1 September 2010.

Given that their own Terms and Conditions state:
    We retain the right to amend, modify or substitute these Terms and Conditions at any time and we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so.

Has anyone actually received notification in writing of these changes?

It would also seem as if they have already posted the new Terms and Conditions on the site although they are not supposed to be in force yet given that their is a reference (Ref: 01092010) and the new clause 27 appears to be in place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hi

Does this mean I can withdraw from current contract BB+TV+Phone (which is still in minimum term 12mths)

Also, if i do, can i continue with the BB+phone if wanted with no 12mth contyract?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 awedf

It most likely means that a new round of upgrades are coming after September 1st so in the rush of upgrades people don't realise that the T&C's have changed

Edit + "Continued use of the services after 1 September 2010 is deemed to be acceptance of the amended terms and conditions."
    http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Irrespective of whether upgrades are coming or not there is no justification for them once again to fail to comply with their own Terms and Conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

The UPC standard Terms and Conditions have been amended. The changes made to the terms and conditions are set out below. These will come into effect on 1 September 2010.
    In summary we confirm that:
    1. You are entitled to 30 days notice of any future changes to our terms and conditions.
    2. You are entitled to withdraw without penalty from your contract in the event of a change you dont accept by giving us written notice in accordance with our terms and conditions.
    3. A cancellation charge of up to €200 may apply if you wish to cancel your minimum period contract.
    4. We have amended clause 27 (Number Portability) to clarify you may port your number from UPC if you wish to change provider.
    Continued use of the services after 1 September 2010 is deemed to be acceptance of the amended terms and conditions.

Im a little confussed by the above statement.

Section 2 states that i am entitled to withdraw without penalty from my contract but section 3 states a cancellation fee of up to €200 may apply :confused:

Would that not be a penalty in itself?

Also, it states i would have to provide written notice. Would an email suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sigh....

How do they expect us to follow there TOS if even they don't? 500gb download bonanza here I come....

• Advertisement

I now know I can use point 2 to get out of the minimum contract, but i still don't know if I can continue on with BB+phone on a monthly basis.
    PS I have the letter drafted up and really, really don't want to phone UPC as the customer service is awful.

Has anyone managed to withdraw from the minimum contract term due to the upcoming changes yet?

I just shot them off an email re billing issue and figured id mention this as well. Wondering what sort of resistance to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gambiaman wrote: »
    I now know I can use point 2 to get out of the minimum contract, but i still don't know if I can continue on with BB+phone on a monthly basis.
    PS I have the letter drafted up and really, really don't want to phone UPC as the customer service is awful.

No, you can't. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the T&C you agree to or not, even though it looks like this is exactly what UPC are doing. If you want out of the contract, then all services stop immediately. You could then re-sign up to the parts you do want of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

So who here complaining wants to outline what these changes are?

Anyone?

*tumbleweed*

Anyone?

*tumbleweed*

I don't follow.

You want to know what they are changing?
    From my understanding they are modifying a term to add clarity regarding porting your phone number from UPC.

I don't think that's the point though. The point seems to be that they have not provided the necessary 30 days notice.

They are very quick to point a customer to their t&c's when it comes to additional charges or pretty much anything else but not so fast to abide by the parts that apply to them such as giving customers 30 days notice when a change of any kind is made to the t&c's.

I for one certainly received no such notification

• Advertisement

Anyone?

*tumbleweed*

eh? Post #5

jor el wrote: »
    No, you can't. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the T&C you agree to or not, even though it looks like this is exactly what UPC are doing. If you want out of the contract, then all services stop immediately. You could then re-sign up to the parts you do want of course.

Ah, I thought it may be something similar to the last O2 change which had '000s people getting out of their conttracts and staying monthly

I am going to write them and ask for clarification on it though - it does say customers should not be penalised.

I'd like to give them a chance to rectify my crap BB before ditching them and this T&C change will smooth it for me.

Advertisement