Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dimmu Borgir album

Options
  • 14-08-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I just seen the cover for the new album, and I have to say I'm very dissapointed with it. I just seems a bit cybernetic and generic to me. :(

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/07/09/abrahadabra-heres-the-new-dimmu-borgir-album-art/

I wish they would go back to the style of 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' and 'Spiritual Black Dimensions' in terms of artwork and music. Apperently they have got an even bigger orchestra on this new album. I also never liked Dimmu Borgir having orchestras on their albums, mainly because I didnt like 'Death Cult Armageddon' that much. Again I wish they would go back to the keyboard style of both of those above albums as well. The only other Dimmu Borgir I really enjoyed would be the re-recorded 'Stormblast' and to a lesser degree 'In Sorte Diaboli'.

I'm quite skeptical of this new album. 'In Sorte Diaboli' was good in some parts, but Shagrath's annoying computerized vocals in some sections and the lack of awesome guitar solos made it a lot less enjoyable than the other albums. Also some of the riffs seemed a bit boring, whereas some where quite good, but obviously they will never release an incredible album like 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' ever again. What's anyone's else's opinion on this new album and Dimmu Borgir in general?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Agree completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Loved them, but In Sorte Diaboli was a bit of a let down, and now that ICS Vortex has left, I'm not so sure...

Having said that, I've seen them live, and they are ****ing incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Loved them, but In Sorte Diaboli was a bit of a let down, and now that ICS Vortex has left, I'm not so sure...

Having said that, I've seen them live, and they are ****ing incredible.

'In Sorte Diabol' was a bit of a let down alright. They are a great band live, thats for sure, and much better than the likes of Cradle of Filth.

'In Sorte Diabol' was a bit of a let down alright. They are a great band live, thats for sure, and much better than the likes of Cradle of Filth.

I think Cradle used to be good, way back when. But the whole revolving door band member thing, they lost whatever made them work. They just kept getting worse and worse.

Another thing Dimmu Borgir hasn't done in years and will probably never do is another stunning closing song like 'A Succubus in Rapture'. Speaking of which I was coming home from Wicklow today, and I had my iPod hooked up to my new stereo in my newish 2003 1.6 VW Golf. I had the window rolled down a bit, I was playing 'A Succubus in Rapture' and it was near the end of the song, when that stunning military style drumming comes in with the class guitars, and that unforgettable guitar solo. So I decicded to crank the volume up a good bit seen as the car has whooping great speakers and eight of them as well, and a skanger looks over in my direction. The look on his face was pretty priceless.

I don't think you see that many people in Dublin or Ireland that go around with rock or metal comming out of their car speakers these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Haven't heard the new album yet, but with Mustis and Vortex gone I'm skeptical. Vortex really makes their live show, his vocals live are just incredible, and Mustis is simply and incredible pianist and keyboard player, proof:

Pugsley wrote: »
    Haven't heard the new album yet, but with Mustis and Vortex gone I'm skeptical. Vortex really makes their live show, his vocals live are just incredible, and Mustis is simply and incredible pianist and keyboard player, proof:

That was really brilliant.:eek: He is an excellent musician alright. I'm also very very sceptical about the new album especially without Mustis though. He also looks quite young, maybe about 24 or 26?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I just wish they would go back to the Stormblast/For All Tid sound.

cypharius wrote: »
    I just wish they would go back to the Stormblast/For All Tid sound.

I don't think thats going to happen unfortunately. Those albums are sheer class. Even though the production is pretty bad on those two albums, I've never tired of them ever since I heard them ten years ago. I wonder if they'll ever redo 'For All Tid', as I would be very interested to hear a new version with a beefy production and what not.;)

One thing I would really and truly hate is for them to leave out most of keyboard/piano sections, just like the they did on the new 'Stormblast'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I don't think thats going to happen unfortunately. Those albums are sheer class. Even though the production is pretty bad on those two albums, I've never tired of them ever since I heard them ten years ago. I wonder if they'll ever redo 'For All Tid', as I would be very interested to hear a new version with a beefy production and what not.;)

One thing I would really and truly hate is for them to leave out most of keyboard/piano sections, just like the they did on the new 'Stormblast'.

They had to leave them out because Aarstad plagiarized them from other guys. It's the main reason they redid the album from what I hear.

• Advertisement

cypharius wrote: »
    They had to leave them out because Aarstad plagiarized them from other guys. It's the main reason they redid the album from what I hear.

I know that Aarstad plagiarized them. But plagiarized or not, I still think they are just brilliant and very enjoyable. The intro to "Alt Lys er Svunnet Hen' which translates to 'All Light Has Faded Away' was stolen\borrowed from Magnum's 'Sacred Hour' which is a class song. I also really hate the version of 'Sorgens Kammer' from the 2005 release, and I much prefered the old 1996 instrumental version instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

The new single they released to I-Tunes, Gateways, is friggin' AWESOME. Has an older school Dimmu feeling to it. I was really looking forward to the new album with a slight apprehensive reservation but this song is just super.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJB9SkQPUs

Check it out!

jamezy wrote: »
    The new single they released to I-Tunes, Gateways, is friggin' AWESOME. Has an older school Dimmu feeling to it. I was really looking forward to the new album with a slight apprehensive reservation but this song is just super.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJB9SkQPUs

Check it out!

I was actually very dissapointed with this new song. To me 'In Sorte Diaboli' was a pretty damn underwhelming album, and not near as great as EDT, SBD or even PEM. So if this album is going to be a big let down, I think I'll give up on Dimmu Borgir, and only listen to the old stuff.

It's not too bad. But at 1:23 Lisa Simpson does guest vocals?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

The new album is streaming on myspace and i am loving it. Very orchestral, couple of hallmarks to classic black metal. All in all a very different vibe from In Sorte Diaboli.

Check it out.

It's not too bad. But at 1:23 Lisa Simpson does guest vocals?

I agree. She does sound a bit like Lisa Simpson, only on steroids at times. Thankfully it's one of the few songs she does sing on.
    jamezy wrote: »
    The new album is streaming on myspace and i am loving it. Very orchestral, couple of hallmarks to classic black metal. All in all a very different vibe from In Sorte Diaboli.

Check it out.

I managed to download the whole album. It's quite good, and some of it was way better than 'In Sorte Diaboli' for sure. One thing I did like was the lead guitar parts and solos making a comeback. I still think there are much better symphonic black metal albums out there though. I think the best two I've heard in recent years have to be 'Night Eternal'; although it's not fully black metal, I don't know what else to call it, and 'The Voice of Steel' by Nokturnal Mortum. Those albums are sheer class and I will be listening to them for a long time to come.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Just got it the other day, havent really giving it a good listen yet, the track they released is alright!!

As a huge old mans child Fan, Its Galder that stands out to me yet again on a Dimmu album, he has some sweet Riffs! and really adds to to the Dimmu Sound!! But would still Rather OMC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Not having a dig at you or anything man but I don't understand why anyone would complain about bad production on black metal records, one of the aims was to have a thin production for that eerie sound, the Grieghallen studio was especially good for this.

Pretty much all the best Norweigan black metal albums are from era, the Emperor mini-album and In the Nightside Eclipse, Darkthrones first 3 black metal albums, Mayhems De Mysteriis, the first 3 Immortal albums, Burzum up to and including Filosofem, first 3 Satyricon album, first 2 Dimmu, first 3 Gehenna, Perished - Kark, first Obtained Enslavement, first Ulver, Storm - Nordavind, Isengard - Vinterskugge and Hostmorke, Arcturus - Constallation, first Old Mans Child and maybe a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

After that people started getting good productions and there was too much proggy **** like later Arcturus, Ulver and borknagar, too much death metal influence like later Emperor and Gehenna and then bands like Satyricon and Dimmu just chased money. Practically the only norwegian bands I listened to after 1997 were Darkthrone and Immortal although neither reached the heights (or depths) of their earlier stuff.

Not having a dig at you or anything man but I don't understand why anyone would complain about bad production on black metal records, one of the aims was to have a thin production for that eerie sound, the Grieghallen studio was especially good for this.

Pretty much all the best Norweigan black metal albums are from era, the Emperor mini-album and In the Nightside Eclipse, Darkthrones first 3 black metal albums, Mayhems De Mysteriis, the first 3 Immortal albums, Burzum up to and including Filosofem, first 3 Satyricon album, first 2 Dimmu, first 3 Gehenna, Perished - Kark, first Obtained Enslavement, first Ulver, Storm - Nordavind, Isengard - Vinterskugge and Hostmorke, Arcturus - Constallation, first Old Mans Child and maybe a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

After that people started getting good productions and there was too much proggy **** like later Arcturus, Ulver and borknagar, too much death metal influence like later Emperor and Gehenna and then bands like Satyricon and Dimmu just chased money. Practically the only norwegian bands I listened to after 1997 were Darkthrone and Immortal although neither reached the heights (or depths) of their earlier stuff.

I was really just acknowledging that some of them do have bad production. But it doesn't really bother me, once the music is great that's all that matters. I also have to agree with you with 3 Satyricon albums, first 3 Gehenna albums, first 2 Dimmu Borgir albums and some other albums from that period are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Have you already seen their latest video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

This album is incredible, it really exceeded my expectation which was low after the last release and after give 2 members the boot. Fav song at the moment is Dimmu Borgir, that huge orchestra section in the middle is incredible, hopefully catch them live next summer.

Advertisement