Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange things your dog chews.....

Options
  • 14-08-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Caught my lab chewing on the handle of the brush of a brush and dust pan set. He took about an inch off it the fecker, didnt swallow any bits thankfully.

Made me think, what strange things do your dogs find to chew?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

His ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

When my Jack was a pup I woke up about 2am one night to find her happily eating my very expensive mobile phone:rolleyes:

Apart from that it is anything plastic she has a real thing for those big hair comb things, and loves the handle of brushes, her ultimate favourite though is plastic bottles, no idea why.

My big guy will eat anything... including rat poison little sod, that cost me a few bob :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Max (staffie) always ate sticks from a young age but never actually swallowed them, give him a plank of wood and he is content for hours chewing and spitting it back out again :D thus saving me a fortune on Chews and toys !

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

My dog doesn't really chew things, but what she'll do is kind of chew duvets, though not so much chew, she doesn't rip them or make holes or anything, she just seems to kind of suck them like a child would with a soother, thats the only way I can describe it really, its like a suckling instinct and she'll do it for ages, quite gross really but it seems to comfort her so I'll let her at the end of the duvet sometimes.
    Its bloody weird though, she's at least 6 years old now and I haven't heard of other dogs doing it I think its maybe because she was taken from her mother too early, we got her from a rescue home, so don't know for sure. Other than that she doesn't actually really chew anything thank God:rolleyes: My Aunt's dog though, chews pretty much anything:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Anything plastic! ... DVD cases, car keys, dustpan set, modem, plugs!!! (he ate one still in the socket!!). Other chewed remains found hidden in his hideyhole (under the blankets in his bed) purse - including cash and cards, carving knife, several of the cats collars, peace lily, shoes, leads, bra's, contents of bin, newspapers, books(including my 'dog training for dummies' book), can of febreze... the list could go forever.

I'm glad too say this is now a rare event saved for special sulks - I think it was just his way of trying to become the boss in our early days

You probably guessed already....labrador cross:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

raveni wrote: »
    My dog doesn't really chew things, but what she'll do is kind of chew duvets, though not so much chew, she doesn't rip them or make holes or anything, she just seems to kind of suck them like a child would with a soother, thats the only way I can describe it really, its like a suckling instinct and she'll do it for ages, quite gross really but it seems to comfort her so I'll let her at the end of the duvet sometimes.
    Its bloody weird though, she's at least 6 years old now and I haven't heard of other dogs doing it I think its maybe because she was taken from her mother too early, we got her from a rescue home, so don't know for sure. Other than that she doesn't actually really chew anything thank God:rolleyes: My Aunt's dog though, chews pretty much anything:pac:

My springer does that sometimes too, not very often these days thankfully, but when we first got him and he was very stressed (he has an awful background) he would drag the quilt downstairs into his bed and suck on it for ages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Remote controls, couches (yes, plural!), doors, shoes, jackets, books, toilet rolls are very popular as well ;), collars and once a leather saddle :(. Not one dog alone but a succession of dogs :D. Oh and car seats as well as seat belts and a Great Dane chewed off the door of the washing machine ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I had a dog who ate through the wall! Chewed a bloody big hole through the plasterboard and was trying to eat the bricks too. Nothing would stop her from doing it. She also liked to nibble on the press doors in the kitchen, and the bars ont the stools. Loved stones, the bigger the better, and she was a digger so the more we threw away her stones the more she would dig in the garden looking for a replacement.

My present dog is mad about tennis balls-she rips off the green fluff with her front teeth, usually gets a big lump of it caught in her bottom teeth so she ends up looking like she's got a mad tash! She'll carry on with the ball until its completely stripped and then loses interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Our Yorkie chews the lid off plastic milk bottles, licks out any of the residue and then throws the lid around for awhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

I Had a dog (Gypsy, mongrel,). She used to love to eat my toenails. Every time she would see me cutting my toenails she would sit at my feet and salivate. Every dog Ive ever had had their own eccentricities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

My dogs don't really chew things but my new puppy will steal things and take them away to chew. She keeps stealing the brush from the dustpan and brush too! They live outside but I have a dustpan and brush there for the guinea pigs/rabbits runs and it always disappears. She also loves chewing the kittens' ears, the other dogs' ears, people's ears and even the guinea pigs' ears :D :rolleyes:

Mobile phones :(

expensive and dangerous taste

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm currently babysitting 2 rotties and one of them is panned out on the floor beside me with the tinest little rubber duck sticking out of her mouth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Plastic clothes hangers,i have very few left,,dust pan and brush three of them so far so ive given up buying them,,any plastic toy that belongs to the kids,,,any cuddly toy that belongs to the kids and any pencil or pens that belong to the kids,,,im just glad that the kids love her so much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm currently babysitting 2 rotties and one of them is panned out on the floor beside me with the tinest little rubber duck sticking out of her mouth. :D

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/galleries/dogxray/xrayrubberduck_440x370.jpg

:D Might be a good idea to take it off her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

My dog GS bonnie went through a phase of chewing the heels of my stilettos! very VERY frustrating! she even managed to get at a pair that had'nt even been worn :eek: Thankfully, that phase has now passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've a lab cross who likes chewing the branches off small trees, arms off wooden patio furniture and his new favourite is a plastic Robinson's Orange bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

well my dog was very bad as a pup...

he has eaten:

a light bulb (ended up in Vet for 3 days)
    Brillo Pads
    numerous shirt collars
    bottom of EVERY press door in the kitchen
    bottom of zips on jackets
    skirting boards
    he used to lick stones in the garden occasionally ate a few of them... ended up with the VET again.... poor guy had to be flooded with lazatives... lucky he passed them naturally
    parts of a our deck...

the list is endless... thankfully he is no longer into chewing :):D

Apart for stuff he is allowed to chew of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine bites her nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭alanatoday

My springer cross loves chewing on sods of turf. He'll chew it and then spit the turf out. I've found the crumbs of turf all around our yard and even in the fields around our house. He loves the stuff, just loves it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ears and toes (peoples and dogs) the carpet, vet bed :rolleyes:, stones, the bristles on brushes, coal, zips and velcro, shoes (of course), socks, the baby's dummy (usually with the other side still attached to the baby :D) anything wooly or fleecy, bits of horses hoof left after the farrier's been.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Paper. Anything at all made of paper. She pulls off little bits, chews them up and spits them out.

If I leave any post within biting distance, it's usually grabbed and torn up when my back's turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

My Yorkie likes to chew things that fall on the ground.
    Surprisingly, she has never chewed furniture or anything like cables or phones!
    When she was very small, she tried to eat broken glass :eek:

She chews cardboard, peat out of plant pots (scatters it around the place) little sticks, leaves, paper, lids of things, cuddly toys, and sucks on her blanket in her bed too at times. Socks are her favourite though, if you are trying to put in a load of washing, you'll drop a few bits on the way and she'll have a collection of socks around her when you turn around! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

No really chewing, but my dog likes to pull the little hairs out of peoples arms. And he'll chew anything even remotely plastic/rubber

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have a new one today, an LCD screen from a phone. Lets just say he got to the post before i did!

Advertisement