Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red ball moving in sky??

Options
  • 14-08-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So i was out in my garden looking to see if I could see any of the meteors and I saw a red/orange dot moving in the sky. It was moving quite fast and it came from the East.. it dissappeared then behind some trees that were in my way!

Can anybody shed some light on what this was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Hi, I saw several of these around 10pm, north Dublin? They are chinese lanterns. They were released somewhere around Balbriggan and about 20 minutes later I saw them near Raheny. There's some sort of a bash out there and someone release a load of them. They look strange don't they but perfectly harmless (unless one lands on something flammable!)

Probably the biggest single cause of 'UFO' sightings as they look bizarre unless you know what they are.

Best,

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarah87

It was about 10pm that i saw it alright but im in Cork so Im not sure thats what I was looking at!

Thanks for your reply though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Hi Sarah,

Have a look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAdNKPR8gZc

Look later in the video (past 2:20) when they are further away. Does that look like what you saw. I suspect there must have been some nationwide release of these things.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarah87

Hi Dave,

Cool! Ya, i'd say that is definately what I saw alright!

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

i saw what you saw, but it was after midnight when i saw them

there was two of them in quick enough succession, they were moving pretty fast, and seemed to be burning up, because they were getting slightly brighter and dimmer, and then nothing

i thought they were some kind of meteor burning up when it was coming through the atmosphere?

it was a deep red colour, skeptical to believe they were chinese lanterns ... but i could be wrong :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There were a load of them released near Salthill (Galway) on Friday night.

On a different note, Could these not be a fire hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Anyone think we should have a chinese lantern sticky entitled something like "what did i see in the sky?" Its a very common question in here, not blamin anyone, i never heard of them till last year thanks to this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

BArra wrote: »

.............it was a deep red colour, skeptical to believe they were chinese lanterns ... but i could be wrong :p

:rolleyes:

Why is it that everyone who see's these red glowing moving lights in the sky, who doesn't know what they are, who has never heard of a chinese lantern either.....are always skeptical that the thing they couldn't identify was definately not the thing that they never heard of or seen before either. :D

I know you said, 'I could be wrong' but most people actually don't say that and are adament that no way no how was it a CL.

Trust the guys that sit out in the cold for hours at night staring at the sky who see these things every other night, who even point their telescopes at them. They're Chinese Lanterns M'Kay! :D

[Astronomer Calibos sends off email to his NWO illuminati mastersAstronomer buddies informing them that he has debunked another sighting of our interdimensional overlords chariots of the gods spacecraftChinese Lanterns]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Anyone think we should have a chinese lantern sticky entitled something like "what did i see in the sky?" Its a very common question in here, not blamin anyone, i never heard of them till last year thanks to this forum!

Lol, very true. I've often wondered would people rush into the astronomy and space forum if they saw these things in the daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Got a few phone calls from people asking about weird lights in the sky over the weekend and would have been quite confused if not for reading this thread here (thanks).
    Never seen these (not many being let off over the wilds of wesht Cork I guess).
    One UFO obsessed friend of mine could hardly talk he was so excited. Felt bad about bursting his bubble.
    Another thought they were "perseids" floating to the ground. :)

• Advertisement

The interesting thing about the ones in Galway I saw was that most of them were moving at a pretty good pace, not too fast but not too slow either. One however seemed to be moving a lot faster than the others which was odd but I imagine it just got lucky and was in a fast air current.

There was no mystery from my point of view but perhaps others seeing them thought they were UFO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nuknuk44m

Tonight 18Aug10 at 11.05pm to11.08pm I saw high up in the sky the telltale orange glow of two separate Lantern lights heading north east very fast from the airport towards Donabate and out to sea me being just north of Swords.
    I was taken in as to what would move so quick,they were a minute apart and I guess they as you say caught a good wind stream and had gained some height and away with them.
    Good to see a logical explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

However; please report this to http://www.mufon.com/
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

eilejh wrote: »
    However; please report this to http://www.mufon.com/
    Thanks
    :D

A UFO obsessed friend of mine (who I mentioned earlier) that is always trying to "convert" me to his way of thinking, got me to watch a documentary recently about one of "Americas top" UFOlogists.
    In it he was claiming that there are these lights in the sky that are UFO's communicating with us by brighting up periodically "powering up" he called it.
    On the video these lights looked suspiciously like Iridium flares and other satellites glinting in the sunlight.
    Because he stated that he checked out if they could be satellites, and found out that only 4-5 pass over his location every night, we must concede that we are being visited every single night by countless "visitors". ;)
    WOW!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness what sort of a c**nt releases chinese lanterns during a meteor shower!

I have to have this shirt:
    http://acv24.h9ftv.servertrust.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=MUFON-067

In case the link doesn't work-it's (the shirt) for sale at the store on the MUFON website. Says 'UFOHUNTERS' on it. Awesome.
    Now someone needs to submit a design with a Chinese Lantern.

They have it in black!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spudz76

On 30th of August, Monday night at 9:30 I saw 2 large orange objects moving in the sky, they crossed paths, one going South East the other going North West,

This was in Mullingar, night was clear and still, I definitely do not think they were Chinese lanterns due to their relative size and distance, the speed they were moving and the opposite directions they took.

It was an odd sight, to say the least.

They were Chinese lanterns. They are always Chinese Lanterns. The Americans aren't testing a super secret plane over Mullingar, the Brits aren't flying Eurofighter Typhoons with afterburners on full over Mullingar, The Mullingar marshes are not generating St Elmos Fire, the Aliens aren't surveying suitable first contact landing sites in Mullingar.

There was a wedding party somewhere in Mullingar that night or a couple of lads let off the €3 Chinese Lanterns they ordered online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spudz76

I'd like to believe that but there is no way what I saw was Chinese lanterns.

They were UFOs,

now before you come back with Chinese lantern there are many other documented phenomena that they could have been.

I have not said they were aliens or it was alien spacecraft on an invasion

I have simply said that I witnessed 2 Unidentified Flying Objects which did not match known aircraft, moving independently of each other in opposite directions.

I may be living in Mullingar now but I am from Howth, sail regularly and know a thing or 2 about air currents, distance and speed. Not to mention unusual weather phenomena.

Also the distance they were at was too great for them to be so big in the sky if they were lanterns of which I have seen on several occasions. In Mullingar and Dublin.

Now gotta go, the implant in my head is emitting a low pitched sonic sound

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Local radio this morning in Galway asking people around South Galway,North East Clare and North Tipp to look in their fields etc for possible fragments of a meteorite.People in the Portumna area especially asked to look for anything unusual on their property etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Good luck finding a rock in Galway, also remember, finders keepers!

Don't waste your time. All this malarkey in the Media is just Aastronomy Ireland (LTD) :) trying to drum up publicity for themselves. The odds of finding this meteorite even if it did come down over land is tiny. The odds would only slightly be improved if this happened with a covering of snow on the ground. Its not a needle in a haystack, its a needle in a pile of hay the size of mount Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Have seen a couple of these red glows over my home in North Dublin on several occasions over the past year. Saw 2 tonight about 23.00 and 23.40. The later one seemed to be much higher than the first and appeared to stop for about a minute before moving off at high speed. I am glad to have found this thread as they had me puzzled. The irregular glow had me thinking they were some type of balloon but the times involved seemed way too late. Then I thought they might be some type of weather monitoring device. I even thought they might be the Fianna Failed/Fiddled's PIE IN THE SKY.

hitbit

By the way, Texaco sells giant (their words) Chinese lanterns for €1.99 at the moment.

Advertisement