Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Parnell st

Options
  • 14-08-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with the road in front of Cineworld, between Jervis and Wolf Tone? It's a two way street but it's not possible to travel west on that bit. If you look carefully at the link, you can even see the arrows pointing in different directions.

What's even stranger is that the phantom road is fully line-painted, has a cycle lane, traffic lights and loops to detect non-existent traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could travel on it from the capel st direction years ago, but with changes its kinda stuck in limbo. You can use it, if you come from wolfe tone st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Davy wrote: »
    You can use it, if you come from wolfe tone st.

Ah, I see that now. I've never seen anyone on it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

As far as I know wolftone is two way (haven't been that way in a while so can't remember exactly, so a right turn on to parnell would explain the arrows pointing that way.
    Fairly impressive pic btw,not google maps surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know utter asshats tend to swing over from the other side of Parnell street and use it to pull in in front of the cinema.

Almost been hit on more than one occasion as you're looking in the other direction.

Don't know why they don't have a proper pedestrian crossing there, it sees a huge amount of foot traffic crossing from Jervis street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there is one area in Dublin that needs a pedestrian crossing, it's from Jervis Medical Center (beside Symths) over to Cineworld.

Huge pedestrian footfall here.

There is a taxi rank just up the road so even if the road is clear you'll have taxis pulling out. Can be difficult to cross at the best of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

The only time I have ever seen a car there is when someone pulled up there and dropped someone off. They nearly knocked me over as they drove away as I crossed without thinking (I'm so used to that piece of road being deserted).

dubtom wrote: »
    As far as I know wolftone is two way (haven't been that way in a while so can't remember exactly, so a right turn on to parnell would explain the arrows pointing that way.
    Fairly impressive pic btw,not google maps surely?

You are correct. That is why that section is two-way.

Advertisement