Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pink camera!

Options
  • 15-08-2010 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

saw this advertised on an american site,

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5301286/art/pentax/k-x-fuchsia-pink-da-l-18.html

and i think the colour makes it look soo cheap and nasty, but... i am totally mad about pink things (i know:o) and now all my rationality has just gone out the window and i want it!! ive always wondered why they always make black slr cameras..

cant find any decent reviews, does anyone know anything about this camera?

i was thinking of getting the new lumix lx5, or lumix g2, as im not really liking having a big camera and would like to go for a good compact , but then i think ill 'worry' that i dont have an dslr.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think there's a good reason why dslrs are mostly black .... because other colours in bulky bodies look stupid. Sorry ... they just do. Sky blue and pink are grand for compacts, I bought my eldest daughter a pink sony compact for her 14th recently, because for her - a cool compact is a 'trend' item.

Seriously, though, that Pentax ... just looks horrific :eek: What a sell out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think there's a good reason why dslrs are mostly black .... because other colours in bulky bodies look stupid. Sorry ... they just do. Sky blue and pink are grand for compacts, I bought my eldest daughter a pink sony compact for her 14th recently, because for her - a cool compact is a 'trend' item.

I'd love a different coloured dslrs myself...not a pink one now but sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

canon had a grey SLR sometime back right? 350d maybe? not sure.. when i saw it i thought it looked cool but i deffo rather my black canon tho! looks more aggressive. but yeah that pink pentax looks like a fisher price camera! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I quite like the red version... brown isn't bad either tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tut tut you lot have got it wrong. What you really need is the Korejanai version, astonishingly limited to just 100 pieces!!

pentax-k-x-korejanai-limited-edition-4-290x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gf1-rose.png

Small, compact, interchangeable lenses, uncheap. :D

Tut tut you lot have got it wrong. What you really need is the Korejanai version, astonishingly limited to just 100 pieces!!

Can't imagine why ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

kill it,...kill it with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Yeah, Pentax have found a niche market in odd coloured dSLR bodies - many destined (and only available) in the Japanese market.

While the multi coloured one was just weird when I saw it first, it's kinda appearing more interesting to me each time I view it. :D

OP - Colour aside, the camera is a Pentax K-x which is a mighty capable camera - you are into the Pentax camp then which is actually not too bad a place to be (in my experience) and i'm really surprised by how many of us pentaxians are out there as i thought it was a 'minority sport' ;)

It's an entry level dslr (described as upper entry level - whatever that means :D), but what you will find with Pentax is that their entry level dSLR's usually pack lots of features. With 12.4 Mp sensor, 11-point autofocus, Live View and HD video mode, this compares favorably with any brands entry levels. The Pentax kit lens 18-55 are actually reasonably ok and quite usable. I still have and use mine from time to time in the right conditions.

You also are buying into the K-mount system of lens, so lens from 30, 40 years ago will work great so long as you don't mind manual focus on some of them. And there are some cracking good lenses available. This combined with in body image stabilisation add stabilisation to any lens (even those 30-40 year old ones which I always get a kick out of seeing). The FA-50mm is more expensive than many other brands 50mm but it is a cracking lens and worth the extra. There is a good choice of modern lens which are also fantastic.

The principal difference which I've found is that local availability of add on lenses etc.. is poor locally (bricks and mortar stuff) - for me, this isn't an issue as I don't care where in the world I buy (if they were available locally at reasonable cost i'd buy locally but my current lens collection has come from Australia, America, Canada, and Scotland). Globally there are lots of compatible equipment available. I've two Pentax dSLR's and haven't had any issue though Kintarō Hattori had an issue with AA batteries in one of his. That said he upgraded into a newer Pentax, so that kinda speaks for itself.

All that being said, Canon and Nikon are the dominant brands but I don't think they come in pink. (killer feature I forgot to mention)...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Pearjamfan, have the Pentax K-x, in black, think the colours must tend to sell very quickly, hubby got it in US in B&H and there were no colours except Navy Blue available that time even though they came up as available on website. I did like the looks of the brown one but I'm glad I've the black instead. I guess it would be hard to get really candid shots walking around a crowded area with a pink/red/orange camera :), and I like candids.
    Anyway, I'm no expert I'm afraid, but I've to say I like it. It takes standard batteries which I find a lot handier than a rechargeable pack, it means I can head off anytime, and don't have to worry that batterie's are down, just call into any shop. The menu and controls are really easy to understand and access.
    And it is great to have the low light scope it has, it means I can actually take pics in a pub without flash and quality wise they can still be acceptable ! Overall it's got a great scope for an entry level dslr, still lots to discover for me anyway, but in a pretty straightforward way on this camera. I like that it's not stupidly expensive either.
    Pics below at 6400 iso
    4892859827_2a67627d04_m.jpg
    pub5 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr
    and 1600
    4893462602_cc3b464cdb_m.jpg
    pub3 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr

Feel free to browse to my photostream to see what pics it can take, although for better ones check out this group :
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/kx/

edit : I do have 2 issues that I feel I should mention, although one is probably just an odd chance sort of thing : my shutter release button sometimes gets "sticky" and I've to tap it for it to come back up, if anyone knows a good spot to have someone fix this (not Dublin!) would love to know.
    One thing that may be fixeable with a patch that I know is available online, but haven't yet downloaded : when batteries are low (bear in mind I only ever use standard AA batteries, sometimes the energizer type, more often than not a standard brand battery), the autofocus becomes sluggish. Not a problem when I'm shooting scenery, flowers, etc... I switch to manual focus and finish off my batteries like that, but when shooting something with a bit more action it's really important to have plenty and change batteries often, otherwise you can miss shots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

hehe, ive calmed down since i first saw the pink 'thing' !! i do think it makes it look awfully cheap, ( tho it would match my hair, and we would stick out like a sore thumb..not good) i think the other colours are pretty bad too, BEIGE :eek::eek::eek:

anyway, looks like its a good camera though, so im still confused as to what i really want, i have a fuji s9600 and i did want to upgrade from that , and if i did, i dont think i want to go to an 'entry level' dslr, id like to go a bit better, but then again, id rather have a smaller camera which will take great quality photos, and thats why im interested in the lumix, ive heard great things. ho hum..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'm also a Pentaxian, with a K10D and a K20D. (I used to have a Pentax point & shoot as well, but some gob****e stole it on my at a pub called The Globe back in February.. nicked right out of my coat pocket!) :(

That is a bitch. I had my jacket stole from a pub a while back, know the feeling. I was in a pub the other night and had the dslr in the bag with me. It was a presentation thing and I really only needed to get one picture. I spent the whole night watching the bag ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'd like this...I actually do think it's nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Surely all that matters is the quality of the photo it give you :pac:

Surely all that matters is the quality of the photo it give you :pac:

Very true. But I'd prefer least amount of attention drawn to me as possible when out shooting :D

anyway, looks like its a good camera though, so im still confused as to what i really want, i have a fuji s9600 and i did want to upgrade from that , and if i did, i dont think i want to go to an 'entry level' dslr, id like to go a bit better, but then again, id rather have a smaller camera which will take great quality photos, and thats why im interested in the lumix, ive heard great things. ho hum..

Well as has been pointed out before me, the entry level Pentax cameras are excellent. I think because Pentax have a limited share of the market they load their cameras with more features than typical entry level models to win over prospective buyers. As ACD pointed out, unlike Canon and Nikon Pentax haven't changed their lens mount in a long long time. So while you can buy super groovy new lenses for the camera you also have the option of buying lenses from 10, 20, 30 years ago and mounting them on your DSLR. There's many a bargain to be had out there.

Another great benefit is that if you really enjoy photography and decide you want to give film a go, your modern lenses will also fit on the older Pentax film cameras.

All in all it's a great camera that can act fine as a point and shoot but is plenty capable enough should you dig in and take your photography seriously.

As ACD mentioned it's pretty much only for the Japanese market and the Japanese=crazy!

It takes standard batteries which I find a lot handier than a rechargeable pack, it means I can head off anytime, and don't have to worry that batterie's are down, just call into any shop

Can I just ask, what is the general life of a set of batteries in one of these? I always hated having to use AA's for my first digital p&s I felt like it cost me a fortune!

zoegh wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what is the general life of a set of batteries in one of these? I always hated having to use AA's for my first digital p&s I felt like it cost me a fortune!

When I was using the K100D Super I was getting more than 600 shots from a set of 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries.

• Advertisement

When I was using the K100D Super I was getting more than 600 shots from a set of 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries.

:eek: Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Well at least you wouldnt have to worry about it being stolen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

zoegh wrote: »

Zoegh, I always mean to take note of the number of shots I get with a set of batteries and I always forget :o. But I think it's around the 600 mark allright.

I do feel like I'm buying a lot of batteries, but they're the "cheap" ones (not the cheapest of course, but I don't always take the best of standard batteries). I'm sure a charger and goodish rechargeable would work real fine, have to head that way soon. It is so handy though, to head off safe in the knowledge that if really you run out, the local shop will have a set for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I have to admit... I did find this Pentax kinda quite sexy with all the titanium bits-

pentax_k20d_titanium_dslr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mehhh....They are just copying olympus who did the Ti thing ages ago:

2340433995_b208ee9005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

As a K-x owner ( a black one ) I can fully recomend it.

The AA batteries are great. You can get 900+ shots using Sanyo Eneloop batteries. 1500+ if you use throw away lithiums.

It you are getting one, get the 2 lens kit. The 55-300mm lens is great, and is a bargin if bought as part of the kit.

But please, don't buy the pink. The lens is not pink - so it makes it look even worse, and think of the resale value!

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

As ACD pointed out, unlike Canon and Nikon Pentax haven't changed their lens mount in a long long time.!

Ah but Nikon haven't changed their mount since 1953!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Ah but Nikon haven't changed their mount since 1953!

Maybe, but modern Pentax cameras can still use old Nikkor Glass.
    Some even say that Pentax DSLR's are even more compatible with old Nikkor Glass than modern Nikon DSLR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Maybe, but modern Pentax cameras can still use old Nikkor Glass.
    Some even say that Pentax DSLR's are even more compatible with old Nikkor Glass than modern Nikon DSLR's.

Depends on the DSLR. A lot of the low and mid level ones are intentionally crippled to not meter with the older AI/AIS lenses. Probably a product differentiation thing. The DX00 and up will work perfectly with anything from about the mid 70's onward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I didn't know that, The only pentax I have is an old s1a with the 35mm f/3.4 and 50mm f/2 screw mount.

Advertisement