Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe areas around North of city

Options
  • 15-08-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I work in the city centre and am looking for somewhere to live along the DART line.
    Was thinking Clontarf/Raheny/Killester.
    Can anyone tell me are these safe areas as regards burglaries and walking alone after dark?
    I viewed a 1-bed the other day, it is at ground level and other people live apartments in the house also so I would not be completely alone.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

They are nice areas on the northside....Id also look at places on the southside on the Luasline...Ranelagh,Sandyford,dundrum etc....

Burglaries are kind of hard to gauge..once you take the necessary precautions (i.e. locks and alarm) then you should have nothing to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Hi,
    I work in the city centre and am looking for somewhere to live along the DART line.
    Was thinking Clontarf/Raheny/Killester.
    Can anyone tell me are these safe areas as regards burglaries and walking alone after dark?
    I viewed a 1-bed the other day, it is at ground level and other people live apartments in the house also so I would not be completely alone.

Thanks

Sorry but there are no safe area in Dublin anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Despite what you might read in the papers, almost all of Dublin is safe. Like Dublinman12 says, if you lock your apartment properly and don't leave valuables on display, you should be okay. You could be unlucky but that's all it would be - burglaries can happen anywhere. I'd venture to say that burglaries are *more* likely in good areas because there's better stuff to steal :)

Ditto personal security. If you can avoid walking around quiet areas by yourself at night, you should do so. All the areas you mentioned are fine, most of the rest of the northside are fine too. You are probably more likely to be attacked by a junkie or scumbag in the city centre than you are in the suburbs.

FWIW I live in a ground floor apartment between Santry and Coolock and, with the exception of one fool who tried to break in through my balcony door and locked himself out, I've had no break-ins the during five years I've been here. I've lived in Dublin for ten years, regularly walk home from nights out and I've never been attacked or felt unsafe. There are parts of Ballymun and Finglas I wouldn't go to at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

These threads :rolleyes:
    How many days till the exact same question or situation for someone arises and we get yet another of these stupid threads?

How about a pinned topic that tells people about search function, common sense, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Jay D wrote: »
    These threads :rolleyes:
    How many days till the exact same question or situation for someone arises and we get yet another of these stupid threads?

How about a pinned topic that tells people about search function, common sense, etc?

Agree 100%, hate these area bashing threads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's a valid question from the OP.
    Moving to a new city can be strange, new and possibly scary so boards is a great place to ask for info.

When I moved to Belfast, I started a thread asking about where the good areas are.

And I know if I was moving to Cork, Sligo, Waterford or wherever I'd be searching past threads and looking for info.
    I know little about these places so why not ask here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As JosDel said earlier - there are no places that are 100% safe.
    That said, Dublin isn't a war zone & most places are just fine to live & work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It's a valid question from the OP.
    Moving to a new city can be strange, new and possibly scary so boards is a great place to ask for info.

When I moved to Belfast, I started a thread asking about where the good areas are.

And I know if I was moving to Cork, Sligo, Waterford or wherever I'd be searching past threads and looking for info.
    I know little about these places so why not ask here?

And this is how things are going to stay around here.

I don't mind editing the crap if it help's people using the forum.

**Take note Jay D & JosDel - you don't have to open these threads if your going to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Point taken with regard opening thread with it etc. Wasn't offended but just seeing that every area has been covered in this querie in one combination or another is all. I'll say no more.

Advertisement