Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a telescope

Options
  • 15-08-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

So I'm new to astronomy, always wanted to get into it though, never knew what to get.

I'd like something pretty decent, I'm pretty handy with photography techy stuff so it doesnt matter if it's complex, also would quite like if i could hook my canon 30d up to it for taking snaps......any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Here's a great telescope. It works brilliant and is not too expensive. Can easily be put in a backpack if you're out hiking as well.

astroscan280.jpg

http://www.dansdata.com/astroscan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

What's your approximate budget?

Are you looking for something that you can use as a terrestrial lens, or would you like to take planet/moon pictures or deep-sky pictures?

The general received wisdom is to learn your way around the sky ang getting to know how to use your equipment to its best, then once you are familiar with that you move on in equipment to the stuff that can you can take astrophotos with.

If you want to take moon or planet pics, a small to mid size SCT will take reasonable pics, and will usually be on a mount that will track the object you're looking at.

Value for money will depend on the exact needs.
    If you were a visual observer, an 8" Dobsonian such as the Skywatcher skyliner 200 would usually be the recommendation, for about ~£300 new,
    A tracking 8" dobsonian such as the "Skywatcher skyliner 200p flextube goto" would be about £800 sterling new.

A basic e.g. 6" computerised SCT like the Celestron Nexstar 6se is £750 (don't go through the Astronomy Ireland shop, they are a bit too expensive by a few hundred euro. Fly to london and fedex it back ;) ). The 8" is £1150 sterling in First Light Optical in the UK.

A premium scope for visual and photo use would be an 8" SCT on a computerised German equatorial mount, heavier and more stable that the others, and a lot more expensive. An 8" Celestron EdgeHD on a CGEM mount is £2500 sterling and has a waiting list of a few months..

Steer clear of cheaper refractors if you want to take anyway half-decent pics, as the colour correction won't be good enough for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

thanks both of you for your input, budget wise I'd say we'd be talking somewhere between €500 - €1000 as a rough fingure.

would probably start off taking photos of the moon and planets just to get started and used to it alright, but then i'd be interested in taking photos of further away things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

You could also email Andy at North Down Telescopes to see what he has, very helpful man, he sometimes has deals on 2nd hand scopes that are still in warranty.

http://www.jimmy65.uku.co.uk/

I agree with Popoutman about Astronomy Ireland, there are much better deals to be had elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Have you thought about making your own?

It used to be very popular at one time and it is supposed to cut costs a lot.

I don't know if you can still buy the things to polish a mirror but I am sure you can buy suitable mirrors ready made. Perhaps one of the others can advise better on that.

You can get the instructions from a site on the net. Try googling it. Or try http://www.scopemaking.net/ for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Rubecula wrote: »
    Have you thought about making your own?

It used to be very popular at one time and it is supposed to cut costs a lot.

I don't know if you can still buy the things to polish a mirror but I am sure you can buy suitable mirrors ready made. Perhaps one of the others can advise better on that.

You can get the instructions from a site on the net. Try googling it. Or try http://www.scopemaking.net/ for help.

not really to be honest, wouldnt be sure if i had the tools and the skills!
    had a look at jupiter through a mates scope and now i have a hunger for more! also if i was to attach my camera for taking snaps, are there any that it would connect to? are there adapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

not really to be honest, wouldnt be sure if i had the tools and the skills!
    had a look at jupiter through a mates scope and now i have a hunger for more! also if i was to attach my camera for taking snaps, are there any that it would connect to? are there adapters?
    Well I have an astromaster 130EQ MD for sale. €130 and it has the orginal box, instructions etc. This is a motor drive model so it will track planets automatically. It comes with 2 eye peices 10mm and 20mm. Would you be interested im not buying a new scope till I sell this one.
    celestron-astromaster-130eq-md-telescope-12015336.jpeg

Advertisement