Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loved / Loathed Game Characters.

Options
  • 15-08-2010 8:18am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Not an original idea for a thread but it could come up with some fun results.

Talk about Game-Characters you Love (Or Loathe) for whatever reason! Favourite characters, characters you love to hate, the most Badass, the one you want to die in an ectoplasmic fire... Anything you like!

For some inane reason I had a notion to re-install my decade+ old favourite game of all-time knowing full well it was a total biatch to get working due to incompatibility with recent hardware and yet I discovered said game (From 1998) still has a thriving community of modders tinkering with it and expanding with it twelve years later who figured a way to get it working on Vista despite being build solely around Windows 95.

So, I finally got the game installed and while re-living yesteryear in-game it reminded me of the loveable/hateable character at the forefront.

The character in question is Commander "Morgan Bernhardt" of the Grudgebringer Mercenary Army in "Warhammer: Dark Omen", the game in question.

The game back then had a somewhat corny script and loveable/hateable voice acting (Very very good quality/acted for the year though especially considering there was probably 3-4 Actors representing thrice their number of characters) and a lot of the humour level comes from the fact that the main character is an egotistical loot-hungry bastard who serves nothing and no-one other than the desire for money, even when the weight of the nation rests on the missions he's given.

He rags on friends and foes alike in a charming yet scathing way and shows very few genuine moments of care or respect but enough to let the player know his heart is in the right place despite coming across as a smarmy git.

I should compile a list of quotes from the script. The humour is subtle and lighthearted/old-school and made for a game suited for mostly all ages but it's still smirk worthy.

Honorable mention goes to other old characters I liked (Some for obvious reasons) like Sephiroth in FFVII, Wesker from the Resident Evil series and Lynch from Kane & Lynch. Yeah, seems I enjoy the cool/hardass/evil orientated folks.

So, what characters do you like/hate and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Despise Kratos from God of War. His voice is terrible, some call him a badass, I just find him a prick and an intolerable cnut. He commits acts which are a million times worse than anything that has happened to him, yet we're meant to sympatise with his cause.

Mordin, the Salarian scientist in Mass Effect 2 is a character I really like. Very funny if a little unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Dr. Kleiner and Arne Magnusson from the Half Life series are, both, great characters. There is some great dialogue between those two.
    Kleiner (generic-looking "bald, glasses" scientist) as the face of human resistance is pretty awesome.

The series has many compelling characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

rizzla wrote: »
    Mordin, the Salarian scientist in Mass Effect 2 is a character I really like. Very funny if a little unstable.

Yeah Mordin is great. Theres some great dialog between the engineers and Garrus is likable but I hate Tali (ugh that voice and the mask!).

Does anyone find Paragon Shepard a bit boring? (Ive never played Renegade)

Glados from portal is also a great character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jim Raynor

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/game/hero/jim-raynor

Mordin as mentioned form MA2 is also great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hate

Despise Kratos as well especially in the second God of War. He gets kicked out of Olympus and killed because he is a complete and utter cockend and then decides to go on a murdering rampage.

Don't get the love for Sephiroth. He'sa very weak badguy with cool character design. He wants to destroy the planet because he wants a hug from his mommy basically.

The entire cast of Legend of Dragoon but tbh that game was a complete trainwreck.

Squall for FFVIII. It's impossible to feel empathy for a character who is an ignorant twat that treats people like ****.

Zell from the same game. He's the guy in school that told everyone 'I'm mad I am' and everyone hated.

Selphie again from FFVIII. Her personality amounted to 'I like trains!'

And Seifer from FFVIII. Terrible bad guy. Basically just caused trouble because he wanted to prove he was better than squall.

Rose from MGS2. 'Do you know what day it is?'. Eh I'm dealing with a terrorist incident here, I don't give a **** about your annoying girlfriend things!

Brucie from GTA 4. Awfully written and about as funny as puppy cancer. Really trying too hard at comedy there and failing badly.

Prince Luca Blight from Suikoden 2, I love to hate him. A superb bad guy. Goes on a genocidal rampage through a country and cruelly executes people for fun. However you do feel sorry for him. He was driven mad as a child after the country he eventually went on a genocidal rampage through sent soldiers after his family after a peace treaty. He was only 4 and had to watch them rape his mother.

SHODAN. Anyone that has played System Shock 2 will agree.

Yangus and King Trode from Dragon Quest 8. The chemistry between these two characters had me in stitches

Junpei from Persona 3. Provides some of the games funniest moments but his hearts in the right place.

Rosie from Valkyria Chronicles. Videogames don't normally do strong female characters but Rosie is one of the best. A complete bad ass with an automatic weapon. Great character development as well, she starts off with racist views on the darcsen people but redeems herself over the courseof her story.

Kefka from FFVI. Far better than Sephiroth, end of. Starts off seeming like a comic relief but you slowly realise he plays a much bigger part. He's totally insaneand a cruel bastard and for once an RPG bad guy
    actually succeeds in destroying the world

Bayonettas ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Brucie from GTA 4. Awfully written and about as funny as puppy cancer. Really trying too hard at comedy there and failing badly.

I liked Brucie! Do you not think that that was the whole idea with him? He / or his scriptwriting was setup to come across as trying too hard because he was such an OTT character. Alot of characters in GTA are crazy characatures, thats the way Rockstar satirise popular culture.

HateBrucie from GTA 4. Awfully written and about as funny as puppy cancer. Really trying too hard at comedy there and failing badly.

While I agree on most your choices I felt that Brucie himself is trying too hard and not the writing. We all know some one that tries too hard like Brucie and I don't know if you played Gay Tony but there was a lot of back story there as to why Brucie is the way he is.

EDIT: Same as this guy^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Prince and Farah from the first Sands of Time were excellent characters. I loved the character development and dialogue between them, it was brilliantly written and acted, very natural progression.

Arkham Asylum's Joker was a rather fantastic villain. Mark Hamill and Paul Dini did lovely work making him as insane and funny and disturbing as he should be.

Wesker from the Resi games is just so laughably awful that you can't help but like him.

I wouldn't even credit the power-armoured troglodytes from Gears of War/Halo/Whatevergenericshooter with the title of character. Boring hulking macho grunting cardboard cutouts. Couldn't f*cking stand them, any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Agricola wrote: »
    I liked Brucie! Do you not think that that was the whole idea with him? He / or his scriptwriting was setup to come across as trying too hard because he was such an OTT character. Alot of characters in GTA are crazy characatures, thats the way Rockstar satirise popular culture.

I think the fact that he was actually like people in reality was the problem for me, and many others. He's not satire, he's a direct recreation of the subsection of society Americans call 'douchebags'. I could just picture him as some young lad hanging around outside a shop that sells protein or grunting loudly at the gym in a way that says 'look at me'... and then I cringed and skipped the cutscene.

I'm not entirely sure Rockstar know exactly what satire is anymore, they did a good job on the ps2 GTA games, but with IV they just lost the magic touch.

I hated John Marston from Red Dead too, no personality whatsoever. Just responds to everything with 'they have my family' or 'I'm no plotician sir.' Excrutiatingly dull, especially when every second mission has 5 minutes of this hideous 'storytelling' before it that you can't skip because technically you're playing the game.

Don't like Nathan Drake form Uncharted, he's Indiana Jones, minus the wit and charm. So basically a smug, irritating git.

Characters I loved were George and Nico from Broken Sword, witty, well written dialogue, a strong female lead for once and some great voice acting. Superb characters.

• Advertisement

Wrex from Mass Effect - a loveable bad ass. Could easily have been written as a dumb brute (he looks the part) but has intellect and personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Sarky wrote: »

Wesker from the Resi games is just so laughably awful that you can't help but like him.

I thought Wesker was a fantastic character and superb villain up until RE5. They took away all his mystique and turned him into another run of the mill megalomaniac tentacle boss.

Anyway, loathe: Guile.

He's not satire, he's a direct recreation of the subsection of society Americans call 'douchebags'.

lol, how would satire of such a person be any different?

George Stobbart does rock, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hate

Rose from MGS2. 'Do you know what day it is?'. Eh I'm dealing with a terrorist incident here, I don't give a **** about your annoying girlfriend things!

Nail on the head with that one !! I hate her so much !!

- Murray the Skull - Curse of Monkey Island - brilliant and funny

- Tommy Vercetti - I know he's a typical "goodfella" ..but thats the way he and the game were written, Ray Liotta did a great job with the character

-illidan - warcraft 3 - he was just badass, I have no interest or knowledge of the story pertaining to WOW, just in WC3 he was deadly

- Ellis - L4D2 - i laugh at everything he says

-Andrew Ryan - Bioshock - It was amazing how I hated him ..or was told to hate him, but then liked him in the end

- Ben - Full Throttle

- Pyro and Heavy - Team Fortress 2 - they're hillarious :D

-Jimmy Patterson - MOHAA :)

and then of course the usual that everyone usually likes Liquid Snake, Sephiroth, Cloud, Solid Snake, Duke Nukem etc

HATE

As above - ROSE

- Voiceover man - BF2 - he does my head in

- Yuffie - FF7

- Most of the cast from GTA: San Andreas and GTA4 (esp cousin Roman) , "Sup homie, dayum nigguh, lets go bowling, lets play darts... etc"

- Princess in Mario - no love for her at all

- SETH - Street Fighter4 , what a sham of a character

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact that I didn't laugh at all at the cutscenes and he just annoyed the hell out of me meant he was a terrible character for me. 'I'm so zany I'll punch/headbutt a wall', yawn. I haven't played gay tony yet but did play a bit of lost and the damned and it seemed to a big improvement. They went back to the crazy style of the older games and it worked while GTA 4 tried to be serious and failed miserably because rockstar just aren't good enough writers.

Good choice on the Prince and Farah in sands of time, great writing and chemistry there.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - Princess in Mario - no love for her at all

They redeemed her in the Mario RPGs and Paper Mario games, she's a great character in them. Also super princess peach plays on how helpless she is with moves like crying to make enemies feel sorry for her. Think she's actually rather funny and the new games make fun of her getting constantly kidnapped.

Unless you mean down syndrome princess peach from super mario bros.

super_mario_bros_end1.png

Ew!

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - Pyro and Heavy - Team Fortress 2 - they're hillarious :D

Completely forgot about them, great call!

Also I'd recommend Gay Tony, Brucie is a big enough character in it a lot of back story going on. And you meet many old friends from GTA IV and Lost and Damned.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Liked:

M.Bison from Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior
    He has a cape people!

Volgin from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Beats anyone (particularly greasy free booters!), humps anyone, doesn't like frogs, rain freaks him out, controls lightning, rubbish interrogator , has a super weapon called the Shagohod and wants to rule the world.

General Damon from Valkyria Chronicles.
    Set up as the pompous incompetent leader of the regular Gallian army who was only there because of his family name. But actually a tactical genius, pretty much all his operations where a major success. Damn whiny militia squad 7 claimed every mission they where on was a suicide mission yet they always succeeded, had they listened to their direct superiors they would of never fought and stayed in there camp and the war would of been lost in days.

Disliked:

Guile from Street Fighter 4.
    Stick your sonic boom and air throw where the sun don't shine.

Rose from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    For the love of god women shut up.

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    For the love of god women shut up. And no you where not redeemed by your appearance in Metal Gear Solid 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Revolver... *spin spin spin twirl twirl twirl spin twirl twirl spin spin spin twirl* .....Ocelot *spin spin spin spin* :cool:

Peppy from Star fox "Do a barrel roll! Use the barrel roll" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Liked:

Ezio - Assassin's Creed 2
    Dr. Richtofen - COD:WAW(Nazi Zombies)
    Greg The Grim Reaper - Conkers Bad Fur Day
    SOAP/Price/Ghost - COD:MW2

Disliked:
    Shephard - DOD:MW2
    The Pope - Medieval 2
    Shaun Hastings - Assassin's Creed 2(Why does he hate DXesmond so much???)

Theres more I'm sure, I have the mental block:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Fnz wrote: »
    lol, how would satire of such a person be any different?

Very good point! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Off the top of my head....

HATE:

-The cast of FF13
    -Squall from FF8: An annoying emo git
    -Luis Lopez from GTA4(Ballad of Gay Tony): Disliked this dickhead intensly
    -Alan Wake: Another dickhead who runs like a 90 year old asthma sufferer

LIKE:
    -Tommy Vercetti from GTA: Probably my favourite lead character in GTA
    -Phil from Vice City: I thought he was one of the funniest characters in the GTA series.
    -The Truth from San Andreas: I thought he was the best character in San Andreas.
    - Barret and Cid and RedXIII from FF7

Theres probably more that i'll think of later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

My favourites

Solid Snake-I wish I could kick ass like him
    Basch from FF12
    Joker from AA
    Lazlow from GTA
    thats just off the top of my head

The ones I don't like
    All FF13
    Vamp
    Vaan, Irvine, Selphie, Rikku, Wakka, Wakka, Wakka, Penelo from FF series
    Sheva Resi 5

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Travis Touchdown [No More Heroes series] - "That was quite a move. I'll admit you've got potential. If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious" & "And there he was: this cat, well-dressed, cool. Couldn't tell if he was the shít, or just plain old shít."

G-Man [Half Life series] - "Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again?"

Wallace Breen [Half Life 2] - "Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not."

Revolver Ocelot [Metal Gear series] - "I never trust a Frenchman."

Arbiter [Halo 2] - "Kill me or release me, parasite, but do not waste my time with talk!"

I can't think of any memorable characters I disliked.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Killinator wrote:
    The Pope - Medieval 2
    Yeah the Pope really was annoying in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Liked: GlaDOS

Great dialogue, subtle use of sarcasm and a great dark sense of humor.

Hated: GlaDOS

Where is my ****ing cake bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Man, Valkyria Chronicles' bit-players have some awesome quips that totally endear them to me.
    Jane's "Mmmm... scream for me." (super sadistic tone) is a perfect contrast to Ted's "Hi, I'm Ted!" (super-preppy pitch).

Also Travis Touchdown is the coolest guy ever.
    All he cares about are his cat, and getting laid.

Travis Touchdown really is great. He's a total bad ass but he's also an absolute tool who's stupidity gets him in all sorts of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Liked:

Big Boss - as much as I like Solid Snake and Ocelot, Big Boss is the ultimate badass.

Dante - from Devil May Cry. Funny, powerful, awesome.

Johnny - forget his last name, but the guy from GTA:IV The Lost and Damned. Loved his character and story. Just perfect.

Vergil - Dante's brother in DMC3. As cool as Dante but in a completely different way. Cool, calm, collected, violent. The complete opposite of Dante yet so alike in other ways.

Hate:
    Naomi Hunter (MGS) - as much as I disliked Rose, I hated Naomi even more. Just seems like a horrible person.

Everyone who was in Devil May Cry 2. Even Dante in that game was annoying. I prefer to pretend this game doesn't actually exist because every single character in this game was just terrible. As well as the crappy levels, enemies, weapons, gameplay etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

AJ Johnson - just some memorable quotes from his character.

that is all :P

Advertisement