Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delayed Write Fail

• 15-08-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Ive gotten two new 2TB western digital elements drives, about two days after I got them I started to get the delayed write fail message.

I tried the optimize for performance, changed the cache size, I thought it was ultimate defrag or eboostr and stopped using them. Have checked for a virus etc,I didn't reformat them to fat32, I just plugged them in and started to use them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

iirc it's a common issue with external hard drives and not safely removing correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

5uspect wrote: »
    iirc it's a common issue with external hard drives and not safely removing correctly.

I'm not removing them, they are there to use as a storage and then a direct copy of that. I know what you mean, like if you just plug out the usb cable.

I THINK its sorted, went into services and made sure the two plug and play services where automatic, then I installed some 128k filter file(google searches pointed towards it)

So you're making a homebrew RAID box?

I had to google that and I think you mean server?

Basically i dont use the c for anything but programmes/xp/system(as its tiny and easier to image with next to nothing on it), then I have e for all my non system files etc, then f is a exact copy of all these files.

Sounds like a RAID type setup to me.

It's basically a system that allows you to store data on hard drives redundantly.
    There are different ways to do it depending on the number and way disks are connected.

Here's the classic example:
    raid.jpg
    Explained in detail here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels

What you're doing is essentially RAID 1.

You can get enclosures that let you install two or more SATA harddrives and it automatically syncs that data across all drives. If one drive fails you can hot swap in a new drive and the system will rebuild your backup onto the new drive.

You can get NAS versions that are attached to your router and you can backup across your home network. Might be a more elegant solution to two externals.

• Advertisement

One of the lads suggested a server alright, ah sure ive gotten the drives now.
    Im starting another pc course in September in colliste ide, so coming out of that i might end up setting up servers or the like.

Im so used to external drives and then one to back that drive up, as they say stick to what you know.

Thanks for the help/info!

No bother.
    Have fun!

Advertisement