Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yankee Candle Fire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's no magic involved in these, no mechanics to go wrong. You light a tea candle, and it warms the wax to create a smell. We mastered fire many many years ago :)

Something has to have made the candle hot enough to ignite the wax, there must have been something different that caused it to catch fire, that wasn't in place when it didn't catch fire all the other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

astrofool wrote: »
    There's no magic involved in these, no mechanics to go wrong. You light a tea candle, and it warms the wax to create a smell. We mastered fire many many years ago :)

Something has to have made the candle hot enough to ignite the wax, there must have been something different that caused it to catch fire, that wasn't in place when it didn't catch fire all the other times.

I really dont know, but another poster in the thread had the same problem. Here is the response from Yankee in the US.

Thank you for being a valued Yankee Candle guest and for taking the time to write to us.

This situation is quite unusual. We have a 100% guarantee on our products and are sorry it did not meet your satisfaction.

Please feel free to return it to us at:

Via UPS or FedEx:
    Yankee Candle Catalog Sales Returns
    5 North Street
    South Deerfield, MA 01373

or

Via USPS insured mail:
    Yankee Candle Catalog Sales Returns
    P.O. Box 110
    South Deerfield, MA 01373

We will be happy to send you a replacement.

Thank you for your patronage and thank you for thinking of Yankee Candle®!

Sincerely,

Sara S
    Consumer Direct Lead
    Customer Loyalty Team
    877-803-6890

That is how to keep customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Could the 3 scorch marks not have happened on three different occasions?

Maybe the op when putting a single candle in placed in in a different place each time he used it?

I cant see any pictures because im in work so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ross, why was the warmer on the hob? had the hob been used recently by any chance? was it in direct sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Thats a standard response and they want you to send it to USA by either UPS or FedEX.

Postage costs will make it unviable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thats a standard response and they want you to send it to USA by either UPS or FedEX.

Postage costs will make it unviable.

He's been given a UK address by the store proprietor.

zuroph wrote: »
    He's been given a UK address by the store proprietor.

I suppose the point im trying to make is how this should have been dealt with in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rossc007 wrote: »
    Seems to be a little confusion about the tea lights, there where 2 in it, one that was used (i.e. wouldn't light) and a new one. The old one was pushed to the back, seems to be a point of contention with people.

You do know that even when a tea light has burned out there is still decent bit of wax left. If this was still inside the burner with the 2nd candle also burning it could have reignited and caused the over heat, it would also explain why the fire restarted as your unit was too hot even after you'd extinguished the flames.

I'm sorry but iMax's story is of no use to you. They where using a totally different burner not supplied by Yankee.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You do know that even when a tea light has burned out there is still decent bit of wax left. If this was still inside the burner with the 2nd candle also burning it could have reignited and caused the over heat, it would also explain why the fire restarted as your unit was too hot even after you'd extinguished the flames.

I'm sorry but iMax's story is of no use to you. They where using a totally different burner not supplied by Yankee.

Thanks for your opinion Del, I'll accept that this is a possible scenario, but in return, I'd expect you to accept its also possible that it didn't light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Thanks for your opinion Del, I'll accept that this is a possible scenario, but in return, I'd expect you to accept its also possible that it didn't light.
    If it didn't go up in flames that would be a possibility. The fact that it did go up in flames makes the second one lighting all the more probable scenario.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    Ross, why was the warmer on the hob? had the hob been used recently by any chance? was it in direct sunlight?

Hi Zuroph,

No mate, the hob wasn't being used, the missus puts candles there all the time in the evening. In all honesty, if the hob was on or warm, I wouldn't have brought it up at all when I went to buy a new one.

If it didn't go up in flames that would be a possibility. The fact that it did go up in flames makes the second one lighting all the more probable scenario.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg :D If the second one lit after it went in flames, then the first one caused it to go up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of why the thing went on fire, I think the OP was treated very poorly as a customer.

Even in his/her postings here I think the Yankee Candle representative is being extremely unprofessional. I can only imagine what they were like in person. They are on here making completely unfounded accusations about how the customer used the product incorrectly etc. etc. How unprofessional is that...??? A very simple "Can I take your name and number and I'll look into it" would have sorted the situation in the shop in 5 seconds. It would have given the shop owner time to talk to his suppliers and see what could have happened or how he might deal with it.

In business, things will go wrong. Sometimes it's the fault of the customer, sometimes it is the fault of the product/service. What will set a provider apart is how they deal with it when it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

OP, please could you take a few good photos of the offending article and post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Even though I'm not agreeing with Yankee Candle, I don't know what rossc007 actually wanted, what form of compensation did he expect to receive from the owner. The mantra that the customer always thinks he's right definitely applies here and to have to bring 4 people arguing his case, and then when they don't get there own way they threaten Boards.ie and probably Joe Duffy too.

Yankee Candle you shouldn't really of replied here, you didn't have too and there has being some defamatory statements made against your company. I don't think Boards.ie should be used to air grievances of people who only have an intention ruining the image of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

BnB wrote: »
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of why the thing went on fire, I think the OP was treated very poorly as a customer.

Even in his/her postings here I think the Yankee Candle representative is being extremely unprofessional. I can only imagine what they were like in person. They are on here making completely unfounded accusations about how the customer used the product incorrectly etc. etc. How unprofessional is that...??? A very simple "Can I take your name and number and I'll look into it" would have sorted the situation in the shop in 5 seconds. It would have given the shop owner time to talk to his suppliers and see what could have happened or how he might deal with it.

In business, things will go wrong. Sometimes it's the fault of the customer, sometimes it is the fault of the product/service. What will set a provider apart is how they deal with it when it goes wrong.

I have to agree with the above. I myself have had a Yankee Candle Burner go on fire, in a similar way to the OP's. I threw mine out though, rather than risk another fire. It had a few seperate candle marks on the underside of the burner too, it stands to reason that you won't place a candle in the exact same spot every time you change it, so i don't understand the shop owners assumption that there had to have been more than one tealight burning at the same time because he could see the seperate soot marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Which came first, the chicken or the egg :D If the second one lit after it went in flames, then the first one caused it to go up :)

You lit the 2nd one yourself:confused: Which ignited the 1st tea light as you said it was out when you placed the 2nd tea light in the unit:D

The fact that Yankee states you should only use 1 tea light at a time should give you some notice that you aren't supposed to use 1 and a bit.

Dymo wrote: »
    Even though I'm not agreeing with Yankee Candle, I don't know what rossc007 actually wanted, what form of compensation did he expect to receive from the owner. The mantra that the customer always thinks he's right definitely applies here and to have to bring 4 people arguing his case, and then when they don't get there own way they threaten Boards.ie and probably Joe Duffy too.

Yankee Candle you shouldn't really of replied here, you didn't have too and there has being some defamatory statements made against your company. I don't think Boards.ie should be used to air grievances of people who only have an intention ruining the image of a company.

Hi Mate,

Your entitled to your opinion of course, but I wish you'd have read the whole thread. We where at a furniture auction across the road and went over to yankee.ie to make a purchase. They had been out of burners the day I got there but where getting stock in, they where opening the stock when I was there on Saturday. Thats the reason there where 4 of us, the others where browsing when I was talking to the manager.

I think you'll find this section of the site is for consumer grievances, imo this is a text book consumer grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

What type of wax tart were you burning? A friend of mine makes wax tarts, and she has to meet certain criteria and have insurance in order to make them, for reasons such as what happened here.

It could be feasible it was the tart that was what was the cause of the fire, other than the other options mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I'm not trying to have a go at the OP, but leaving the other tea light in the burner was just down right silly and dangerous. Now I cant remember if the OP said if it was a spent one or a fresh one, but leaving something like that next to an open flame in a confined space is just dangerous (whether under supervision or not). The space under these oil burners are only meant to accommodate one of these at a time, even if only one of them is lit.

I'd say the reason that the oil ignited again is that the flame was starved of oxygen, but was not given enough time to cool down. When you removed the pan, the oil was still at a very high temp and the sudden rush of air caused it to reignite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement